Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzard2you

Where do you find nice lampshades?

lizzard2you
12 years ago

Recent posts have me curious about where you find nice, reasonably priced lampshades? Or is that impossible?? I've seen OK shades at JCP and Lowes, but nothing really stylish like the poster last week with the asian lamp.

Comments (13)

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

Try a specialty lighting store -- if there are any left. We used to have one nearby but they recently closed.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I've purchased a couple for DD2 from a locally owned home store. I buy mine at one of two locally owned lamp stores. I don't mind spending more on mine since I will use them for years, one can make an inexpensive lamp base look expensive and they just look better.

Target has some decent shades. Have you checked there?

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

I"ve had good luck buying my shades on sale at Restoration Hardware.

• wifetojoeiii
    12 years ago

I thought perhaps Bed Bath and Beyond might carry shades but I stopped in and asked the clerk who did not know what a lampshade was! She asked her manager and she took about 15 minutes to figure out what one was and then tell me they didn't carry them!

I purchased some basic ones at Target a few years ago and think I might go there again.

• biochem101
    12 years ago

I got a nice set made at Fenchel recently.

Love that one can pick any fabric, any color.
    Got navy linen for a couple of delft blue china lamp bases picked up on EBay.

Also like that they are made in the USA.

HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fenchel Shades

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

I get most of mine at Tuesday Morning. They're usually a bit more unique than what i've seen at BB&B or similar stores. ;o)

• lizzard2you
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all ideas! I'm not much of a shopper and am rather ashamed to admit that I've never actually been inside a Target, but I'll definitely check it out now. Also, the web site was very promising!

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

biochem reminded me of the custom option. I once did that too at a local small country furniture & decor store for a small desk accent lamp. They had various sizes, shapes, fabrics and trims to pick from. I think I paid over $50 for a small 6" shade, but it fit my needs perfectly.

Target, JCP and Lowes will all have suitable basic shades, but I can't picture anything really special.

I have also bought basic shades at Christmas Tree Shop of all places!! I once was looking for a particular size that was hard-to-find and was suprised to see so many decent (looking) shades for so cheap! They really have some great deals.

• lauriedeee
    12 years ago

I love the Christmas tree shop. They sell everything. They must buy leftovers or whatever you call it from other stores because I've seen some items with original price tags from specialty shops that were priced very high, but the store was re-selling very cheaply.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I buy lampshades at Bed Bath & Beyond; at least my store seems to have a good selection. Same thing for Lowes in that they seem to have a decent selection.

• gardenpea_gw
    12 years ago

Glad to see this post as I've been looking for decent shades for my old 1970s Stiffel brass lookalikes. They originally had a tall drum shade. Is that what I need to replace with (and I haven't found one anyway the right height) or would some other shape look more modern? Or is there even a way to update them? I don't want to buy new ones, but I may have to. Don't mean to hijack, just thought I'd ask since you were discussing where to buy nice shades.

• lizziebethtx
    12 years ago

I recently purchased two medium black linen drum shades from High Street Market. I want to say I am not related to this person, nor do I work for her or have any interest in her business. She has no idea I'm posting this either Now that I said that...I LOVE the shades. They are extremely well made and lined...very high quality & a whole lot of bang for the buck. I know home goods has $40 lamps all day long and this shade was just about as much. But, I've seen manylampshades that compare in quality for a whole lot more. Just a thought..

Here is a link that might be useful: lamp shades...scroll down to the bottom

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

I buy mine at Pottery Barn. Very nice and less expensive than RH.