Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mactn_gw

Exterior design challengee

mactn
9 years ago

I would really love ideas on making the front of this 1915 Bungalow more attractive and balanced. It has two front doors. We are trying to renovate this property economically so we need to keep the yellow siding and windows. Our plan includes replacing the columns and railing with styles more fitting the style of the house, landscaping the front and removing the chainlink fence. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Comments (16)

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Are you saying then that removing one of the doors is not an option, if you need to keep the current siding? I would want the door on the left gone, a larger window to the left of the remaining door and a porch swing facing the driveway where the removed door currently is.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Is this a duplex where both doors are needed? Do you use both doors all the time even if it's a single home?

If only the center door is needed or used, I might try painting the other door, frame, etc the same color as the siding so it just blends in more to the house. This would be the easiest, quickest fix.

Your other plans sound great...I think the house will look very nice when you are done.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

If the siding and the windows are staying, then I would simply paint all the trim bright white, install white railings, paint the concrete porch, take down the fence, add some landscaping and call it a finished cottage.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Yes, paint the extra door siding color and the main door BOLD. The plans you already have will make a really nice difference, as will spring. :)

And then, landscaping. Looks like a great lot to plant some stuff on. The Landscape design forum is pretty good with shrub placement.

• mactn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The original door,the one in the center, is an original door with really pretty carving and mail slot. It's still in a natural wood stain. Both doors have the white storm doors on them that I'd like to replace. The black trim around every window in the house is metal. What do you think about adding black shutters and doing something different with the white storm doors? I think the trim would look better in white but I'm a little nervous about trying to paint all that metal and keep it looking good.

• suzieque
    9 years ago

Hi - chiming in. I don't post often but read every day to learn from the knowledgeable folks here.

I LOVE that you're taking out the chain link fence and the railing on the house. That's exactly what hit me first. I didn't realize that the black trim is metal; I'd want that white but I don't know about painting metal.

I'd also make the center door a bolder color. Subtle red? Mahogany color? I also agree with putting in some nice landscaping. I, too, would somehow camouflage the other door; preference would be to remove it and make the window closest to it into a picture window (or bay or bow). But that would be costly I believe.

I love bungalows and wish I could find one for my family. In fact, I want the first one that Beverly posted!

Suzieque

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

I know, I know- chain link fences are terrible eyesores, especially when in the front. But with kids and/or pets it's a definite benefit.
    Maybe just remove the front portion and leave some in the back and sides? You can landscape to hide it easily.
    Unpopular opinion but for me a fence of some sort is essential.

• suzieque
    9 years ago

Yes, but a picket fence would be adorable.

• mactn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd love a picket fence. Unfortunately the City zoning ordinances won't allow a fence along a street. I am planning to keep the chain link down the side and landscape it with something to provide a little privacy and hide the fence. There's a great stone wall along the other side.
    I like the idea of maybe switching out the second door for a picture window. If that's not too expensive and I can make the siding work, I think that would be great. The window is in a dining room so it would be pretty. What do you think about black shutters? What about removing the white storm door. Full glass with black trim storm instead on the remaining door so the original door shows through better?

• chloenkitty
    9 years ago

I think that house is darling!! I also think every one of arcy's ideas are spot on, especially if you can get rid of door on left and put a big window. Add a nice colorful door and shutters, pretty landscaping and perfection!!!

• grapefruit1_ar
    9 years ago

The storm doors should be replaced with all glass doors. I like everyone's ideas, especially the white trim! I would try get rid of the black. It is really holding back the house's nice features.

• gmp3
    9 years ago

I do like the white idea, but how about dark green? It wouldn't show wear as much as the white.

Here is the house with the door replaced with a window the same size as the one in the middle of the house, white railings, and green door and trim. Gutters are white.

This post was edited by gmp3 on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 23:05

• gmp3
    9 years ago

⦠and with black shutters and trim.

• mactn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and especially to gmp3 for the illustrations. I really appreciate all your efforts.

• mactn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and especially to gmp3 for the illustrations. I really appreciate all your efforts.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Hi - can you plant shrubbery/vines up against the fencing so it would grow through & disguise it? Preferably evergreen, I'm thinking.

I like the white railing/columns idea as well - looks like a neighbor there has something similar....