Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshing

Flatware- beautiful but still functional

marvelousmarvin
10 years ago

I'm looking for some nice flatware that can be both beautiful and still functional that can be used everyday instead of being being used only when you're throwing a fancy dinner party.

So, I've been looking at lists of 'best' flatware and examples like Arne Jacobsen are stunning to look at. But, I've got to question the usability of those types of flatware, where they've sacrificed function for form.

But, how do you know if something isn't just pretty, but will have good balance and feel good in the hand just by the pictures? They're not selling those flatware at Macy's, where you can test them first before buying or simply return them if you don't like them.

For example, I'm looking at this set, Sori set that MOMA is selling:

http://www.momastore.org/museum/moma/ProductDisplay_Yanagi Flatware, Five Piece Set_10451_10001_15622_-1_11470_11470_15623

Does anybody own this set?

I like the look of it, but I'm concerned about its functionality.
At this point, you figure the shape of a knife has evolved to the point till it works. But, this knife's shape is different- is it different because its better or just so the shape can be different?

This post was edited by marvelousmarvin on Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 4:24

Comments (43)

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I love this flatware for it's minimalist look, the reviews are glowing although I would want to know how they withstand the dishwasher, one user says she hand washes them or else they get water spots.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

One of the biggest regrets I ever made was buying flatware before testing it.

I love the flatware at Outback, but I haven't been there in a long time so I don't know if they still use it. I saw something similar in a department store and had to have it. I swooned when I saw it. Every piece looked functional.

Well, it was functional alright but because it was heavy the pieces would fall off our plates! That's a lot of money falling to the floor. lol.

I wish I had taken a fork, laid it on a plate, then walked around with it in the store before I bought it. The feel is great, but it's just too heavy.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

http://www.oneida.com/dining/flatware/fine-flatware/paul-revere.html

I have this and really like it. I forgot how to post pictures here. I know it involves the but cannot remember the inbetween steps or if there are any.

I have silver (which I use for special occasions but for guests and everyday but I use the Paul Revere for "everyday ware" and depending on what level of occasion it is, I ma use it for guests and dinner parties as well).

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Patricia, forget the Choose File at the top of the follow up box and you can
    dowload your picture directly from your computer.

• emilymch
    10 years ago

Patricia, I'm a Paul Revere user, too! I love it. My parents got it as wedding present many years ago, so I grew up using it. When I got married, my mom got a set for me. It's timeless, feels wonderful, and is very durable.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Thanks, MitchDez. I guess I am old school here. (LOL). I have been away for a while.

• theclose
    10 years ago

I know this has been discussed before but I am in the "use it if you got it and love it" camp. We use sterling everyday. We love it, love the way it feels and I can't imagine having something that comes out at best once a year. Like two of my sisters - they have about 12 place settings of sterling and have never used them. Not even once. Such a shame!

Anyway, not sure you have sterling but that's an option.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Well, I have been married 50 years and trust me, my silver has been used and there was a time when it was used everyday in early marriage, but a housekeeper/sitter allowed my children to take it out and play with it in the dirt and before it was all lost, I put it away. Otherwise, she was the best person with my children I ever had, so rather than lose her I put it away. However, explaining this should not be necessary.

I will never be able to afford sterling again at the prices today, and I want to care for and treat what I have in the special way it was intended by my family and friends who gifted me with this beautiful pattern, so that I have it when my children are home for the holidays or when I have luncheons or special dinner guests.

I don't have time everyday to hand-wash silver and dishwasher-wash stainless.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I never thought much about flatware weight, feel, etc... but 20+ years ago I had had it with the cheap stuff. On a trip we went to a Oneida store and we bought the Community line---not the most expensive line I don't think---but it has held up very well and still looks good. There's so much more out today to choose from, I don't know how Oneida would compare today.

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

I would love to use our sterling every day. But I just won't, given what happens to the everyday stainless: it goes missing! I was down to the pathetic remnants of two sets, with not even 12 teaspoons between the two, and decided I'd had it. I ordered a nice set from libertytabletop.com. It feels great (size, weight), is made in the US, and I like the look, though it's not modern like the set OP is considering. You can be sure that I count my new set before trash day. But the sterling? I'm still saving it for special occasions just in case.

• User
    10 years ago

marvelousmarvin-

I agree, buying flatware online is like buying a couch online, not something I would ever do, the "feel" is too important to me. If you really like the MOMA stuff, order it and be prepared to pay the return postage if you don't like it.

Regarding Paul Revere, that was my parents pattern and I find it hysterical that some posters think it's a classic, I think it's dowdy and, yes, dated. Good thing there is such a wide variety of patterns out there, options for everyone.

Regarding sterling, I would love to have some, but never had the type of wedding where I chose patterns, etc., and since I was never gifted any, I never even thought about buying it, but maybe I should, ITA with lirodendron that is has a mouth feel like no other metal, but I would be the type to chuck it in the DW, so maybe it's not for me.

sandyponder

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Not much to add that hasn't already been said, but I have Gorham stainless that I've had since the 70's and I love it's weight, balance and durability. I too have sterling and I use it with regularity. About half of it was handed down from my Mother but I've filled in more pieces myself and also given some to my DD so she could have some herself now. We interchange frequently so we both get to enjoy it, as it should be IMO. I bought silver cloth and it makes a huge difference having a good place to store it with tarnish-proof material surrounding it.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I know this has been covered in other threads, but I use sterling and silverplate every day and it all goes in the dw. Many years ago a much older and experienced friend told me that you can put silver in the dw, but the trick to keeping it nice is to be sure that silver never touches stainless. So I keep the knife blades from touching the handles and am careful when loading that nothing touches the silver (including peelers and other utensils). I have been using it this way for years and it all looks as good as new. I would never hand wash it.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Along w Olychick, my silver and silver plate always went in the dishwasher- and I was careful never to put it touching stainless- something about electro-transfer between metals. When we moved to the boat I took the silverplate and put the sterling into storage. It all gets hand washed now because I don't have a DW on the boat. We are the only liveaboard sailors I know using silver everyday, but I reside firmly in the "if you e got it, use it" camp.

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

I've enjoyed this so much. Before my grandmother passed away she gave me her good set of dishes, that aren't dishwasher safe, and her silver-plate with her initials on it. I'm currently in the need for new every day flat wear and am now wondering if I should use hers. I remember it being more ornate then I really like, but since it was hers I'm thinking I would enjoy it. Is this the kind that can't go near stainless steal in the DW? Hope not!

• violetwest
    10 years ago

Some comments about stainless flatware:

--I prefer heavy 18/10 stainless flatware--much sturdier and nicer to hold than

--look carefully at variables like the number of tines in a fork, length of the tines in dinner forks, whether the knives are serrated, and the size and shape of the spoons

--don't get flatware that has cylindrical handles -- very hard to, well - handle!

• desertsteph
    10 years ago

"the most economical way to buy sterling is second hand"

I agree. I remember seeing a bunch of it in a 2nd hand store in a local town some yrs back. I already had a ton of it so passed it up.

I have a complete set of silver from my former MIL plus tons of misc partial sets I think probably from her mother and MIL. I also have my own set of silver plate and my original 'set' of stainless that I love. I haven't seen but a few forks of the stainless for yrs. I've been using plastic for yrs... ain't that sad! but being so sick and no dw I gave up on regular silverware. I do have a dw now so will find what I can and start using again (keeping the plastic for times when I am too sick to do dishes).

you can't take it with you in the end, so enjoy using it! I also have MILs china and plan to use that also (once I get more settled in my new place). I still don't have a cabinet for it so it's still pk'd up.

besides, who is more special than you, your dh and kids?

I found some long skinny pieces of velcro (in colors) in the sewing aisle at W a few yrs back. I used them to hold a bandage on my dog's leg. I have a few still I didn't use - will try those out as 'straps' for wrapping paper.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I really like the MoMA flatware. The online reviews seem to be good. The one poster ordered one place setting then ordered more. You could always do that.

I have Oneida Frost. It has a nice weight and looks attractive.

My sister has our mother's silverplate service for 12. She hosts much larger parties than I do, so it is better that she has it than me.

Good idea to check out ebay.

• marvelousmarvin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Violet-

Could you please go into more detail concerning stainless flatware. I never would have thought to immediately eliminate something with round handles, but it does make sense.

How many tines should a fork have? I noticed that the dinner fork have four tines, while the salad fork only have three?

For an ideal flatware, what's the ideal length of the tines, should the knife be serrated or not, what's the shape of the spoon, etc..?

I figure I'll have to pay shipping and handling, but the MOMA flatware isn't the only one I'm looking at. If I knew what to look for, that would save me from buying and returning items that I could have eliminated just by looking at the picture.

Ideally, I'd love to do a test run with the flatware with a meal but then i don't think I'd be able to return them.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

ilene, yes, it can't touch stainless in the dw (I also make sure the silver doesn't touch the sides of my dw, which is stainless). It's a very simple matter once you figure it out. Keep the silver in some of the baskets and the stainless in the other ones.

• francoise47
    10 years ago

At a recent dinner at a restaurant I marveled at the comfortable and beautiful flatware. When asked, the maitre d' informed me that it was Linea Q by Sambonet:

If I ever need new stainless, it will be Linea Q for me.

I see that Remodelista includes it is their list of favorite flatware designs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Remodelista fav stainless flatware

• springroz
    10 years ago

30 -some-odd years ago, I registered for Towle Boston Antique stainless flatware. I never completed the set, and somewhere along the way, got a complete set of nameless flatware as a gift. I still prefer the Towle, and sometimes look for it online, then never order it. I do NOT like the other stuff, and will pick a Towle piece out of the drawer first.

Nancy

• violetwest
    10 years ago

"Violet-

Could you please go into more detail concerning stainless flatware. I never would have thought to immediately eliminate something with round handles, but it does make sense.

How many tines should a fork have? I noticed that the dinner fork have four tines, while the salad fork only have three?

For an ideal flatware, what's the ideal length of the tines, should the knife be serrated or not, what's the shape of the spoon, etc..?"

You know, some of it is personal preference. I've collected a few sets over the years, which have varying characteristics, and are still in my drawers. (And btw, I have a full set of sterling from my parents which I never use--my bad!)

For forks, I like four tines on both dinner and salad forks. I definitely prefer heavier flatware, with longer tines.

For spoons, the size, depth, and pointiness of the spoon part (I'm sure it has a technical name somewhere) can vary a lot. For instance I have some where the spoon part is relatively flat and broad -- sometimes I choose the ones in my drawer which are deeper and narrower at the end. Might depend on what I'm eating with it. Like, if all the spoons are too big and broad, they won't fit in your yogurt cups.

For knives, the width of the blade can make a difference. I usually pull the ones with the broader blades out first.

Finishes can be shiny, frosted or flat, or even darker. Beware of fancy finishes like "oil rubbed" -- which you must actually rub oil on to keep the finish!

For all, the feel of the handle in your hand and the heft or weight is a big deal for me. That's why it's so unfortunate that you can't test them online, or even nowadays in most stores.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I recalled seeing this brand on the Today show mentioned as the only flatware still made in the USA - Liberty Tabletop flatware is produced in Upstate New York by Sherrill Manufacturing Inc.

Their patterns are limited, but might be worth checking out. Reviews from buyers are posted within each pattern type.

Features:

- Made from the finest quality 18-10 U.S. stainless steel

- Superior Finishing on All Surface areas

- Hollow Handle Knife Construction in the Tradition of Fine Sterling with serrated blades

- Heavy Weight and Balance

- 25 year Manufacturers Warranty (see warranty for details)

- Unconditional Money back Guarantee! (see return policy for details)

- Made In the USA

Here is a link that might be useful: Liberty Tabletop flatware

• denali2007
    10 years ago

I , too have Oneida's Paul Revere. I got it when we were married in 1971. 42 years and I still love it. I'm not sure it is made in the US anymore.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I have Oneida Lasting Rose. I've had it for nearly 50 years. The knives are giving out -- either the handle cracks open or it gets dark pit marks. I've been able to replace them through ebay. In all honesty, I think the pattern is rather dorky, but it feels like part of the family and is comfortable to hold. I do have a set of silver but not enough for every day use.Someday I will get my mother's (presuming I outlive her, which I am beginning to wonder about).

Frankly, real silver is kind of a pain. There are so many house burglaries around here, you must keep it hidden. Maybe if it was in the "every day drawer", the burglars wouldn;t go for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lasting Rose

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I grew up with Lasting Rose flatware. I think that my mother still uses it. Her silver is Damask Rose. And of course her china had a rose pattern also.

For some reason I've always been attracted to a hammered finish on the handles of my flatware. I've had three different sets - all with hammered handles.

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

Another Paul Revere fan. My DB gave it to us when we married 41 years ago. I've bought it over the years, as pieces went missing into sandboxes or lunch boxes. Today's quality is not the same, but I still love the traditional simplicity styling.

I'm glad to see you back, patricia43. I will always remember those captivating photos of your garden in winter.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Marvelous Marvin, you can tell a lot about the flatware without actually eating with it, if you decide to order a placesetting to try it out.
    Hold the fork in your hand, and the spoon, and pay attention to the balance. the handle should balance nicely with the active part.
    I prefer 4 tines on my forks too. And you want to look at the size of the tines of the fork. The tines on the set above, the LineaQ look about perfect. They will pierce food and hold it, as the tines are close enough together, yet not too wide or fat, so they won't obliterate whatever it is you're eating.
    On the original set you linked above, imagine piercing a rather fragile piece of cake or a cherry tomato with that dessert/salad fork. The tines are so wide they'll be challenging to some foods. The designer on that seemingly was more concerned with form than function.

Also, for quality stainless look for 18/8 or 18/10 stainless.

• marvelousmarvin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This talk about buying used silverware has inspired me to now consider buying used stainless steel flatware.

People have mentioned how much they love their Oneida flatware, but Oneida moved its operations overseas 10 years ago. And, according to complaints I've read, it doesn't seem the new Oneida flatware matches the quality of the old Onieda.

People will have kept their old Onieda flatware pattern and needed to buy a new Onieda piece with the same pattern, but noticed and felt a difference between the older Onieda and the new Oneida pieces.

But, what's a reasonable price for used stainless steel flatware? I don't want to be that guy who gets ripped off, and I also don't be the guy who doesn't buy because he incorrectly thinks everything is too expensive.

If it cost $50 for a new five piece set, how much should I expect to pay for that same set used? And, are there any drawbacks to buying used quality stainless steel flatware? Will they become brittle or anything like that with age or something?

• marvelousmarvin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was skimming through the remodelista links, and I found this streamlined design which I love:

http://www.remodelista.com/posts/denmarks-national-flatware-grand-prix-from-kay-bojesen

It was designed by Kay Bojesen, a famous danish designer, who made it to be functional and ergonomic yet still beautiful. Today, he's most famous for his wooden toy monkey but he originally trained as a silversmith under Georg Jensen.

Unfortunately, the granddaughter is now making authentic reproductions which really means that she's jacking up the prices.

Anybody know who used to make the Grand Prix flatware before the granddaughter took over? I'm sure it'll be much more affordable to buy older sets than the ones the granddaughter is selling right now.

Utilizing mass production of the factories, modernism was supposed to bring good design the masses. Instead, a lot of the great designs which were once affordable and fairly common have now priced themselves out of the reach for most people.

This post was edited by marvelousmarvin on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 22:58

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Pretty sure that's Georges Jensen.
    Take a look at the WMF stainless. If you can get any of the older stuff, made in Germany, all 18/10 stainless, clean modern lines. I believe their most popular pattern was called Finesse.
    I think that big economy sets are now produced under the WMF label, but they aren't the quality nor the design of the 1970's WMF flatware.
    Watch ebay for it. Have no idea what it would cost you now, nor how high the demand is. You can check out Replacements.com to see what the various patterns look like, but I wouldn't pay their prices on a dare. (excepting for one teacup that I ordered from them to replace a broken one in a discontinued set of china, that I had no other resource for, I digress...).
    I would imagine that the old Georges Jensen stuff will be higher priced just because it wasn't as prevalent, therefore there isn't as much of it around.

• cubby325
    9 years ago

Adding to this older thread - make sure the knife will sit across the edge of the plate. I was given some steak knives years ago that were modern with a gentle curve. They would always fall off the plate, so I got rid of them.

Much of the newer stainless is not marked 18/8 or 18/10, so be aware that it might stain over time. I would not buy any of those. I have my original Paul Revere used 25 yrs, then put away for 20 yrs. in favor of Oneida Michelangelo, one of the Heirloom patterns. I have a complete service for 12 including shrimp forks, butter spreaders, iced tea spoons, etc. in Michelangelo. Last year I bought a new Reed & Barton set from Costco (18/10) because I wanted the larger pieces which I thought looked more current. I've used them a couple of times with company, but they are big and heavy. I'm thinking of putting away the Michelangelo and going back to the Paul Revere for a change.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Cubby, my every day stainless is the Michelangelo pattern. I think it is so pretty. DM had the Paul Revere pattern. I still have my Michelangelo but I started using sterling instead of keeping it just for company.

• cubby325
    9 years ago

And I would love to use sterling, but that is something that we just never purchased. Both of hubby's sisters have it, one bought it and the other got it from MIL. At this point, my kids are out of state, and we don't do that much entertaining, but maybe I'll watch ebay.

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

--don't get flatware that has cylindrical handles -- very hard to, well - handle!

Sometimes even if it's not really cylindrical. I have Gorham Meredith stainless, the same design as Towle's Boston Antique (which was made as both silverplate and stainless). The knife handles are oval, not cylindrical, but they roll right off the plates.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sterling can't go in the dishwasher.

I highly, highly recommend buying 18/10 Stainless flatware from restaurant supply places. I got mine from mainesupply.net. Enormous variety and great bang for your buck.

• cubby325
    9 years ago

Couldn't agree more - same problem I had with the curved steak knife. Try the knife across the top of the plate to see if it stays before you buy!

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Sterling CAN go in the dishwasher with no problem. Just try not to have it touching stainless when in the basket. I always use the dishwasher for my sterling that is used almost daily (wedding Sterling, almost 45 years old).

I never use the heated dry function.

Here's one link that may help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sterling in the dishwasher

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I hand wash most of my dishes including my stainless and sterling. I find it soothing. Cubby, do look on ebay. Since it's just you and your DH start with two place settings. You will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. The prices on E-Bay are much better than on Replacements and in department stores. I love sterling and especially like that if you purchase vintage US companies you know it was made in the United States. Hurray for that!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Oneida is having a sale on their fine flatware. I'm not buying but the Act 1 66 pc service for 12 is $400 with code HF30. I really like that pattern.

Soooo tempting, but I have a bathroom to redo!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

It's nice to have things to pull out for special events, it makes the occasion something to look forward to and a celebration.

What I loved about Thanksgiving and Christmas, were the special table settings. Not everyday boring.