Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elogan_gw

Living room help!

elogan
9 years ago

So we just moved into our first house 3 weeks ago, and I'm having a lot of trouble with a living room layout that feels right. It's a very open space, the living room and dining room are connected, and then the bedrooms are both off the living room, and it's also a longer and skinnier space. Another challenge is that we have a one armed couch, and nothing seems right. I attached a picture of the current layout. The blank wall is where we will be mounting our tv. Any suggestions? I have no clue what to do with this room and this is my third arrangement. (The couch was where the real cart was. I do like the current layout because now when you walk out of the 2nd bedroom, there isn't a couch right in front of you, but it just doesn't feel "cozy" and like home yet. Help please!

EDIT:
The tv has to go on the short wall because that's where cable hook up is and it's closer to the Internet hook up as well. I'd like to keep the walkway next to the long wall unobstructed because we have a 2 year old always running through there, plus we like to have sliding contests :)

This post was edited by elogan on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 16:26

Comments (31)

• elogan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View from the other side. Is the rug too large? It was given to us, but just doesn't seem to "fit" to me, but rugs are expensive!

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

It is a shame you are covering so much of the rug.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I'd start by pulling the rug out and centering it in the room. I would also pull the sofa away from the wall and add a long table behind it. You can put some lamps and other tall things on it.

I love the rug and do not think it's too big.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I agree with Ak. Pull the rug out, and I would switch places with the sofa and chairs.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes, pull the rug out.
    Not sure which blank wall you're referring to re: the TV, but I'd mount it on the blank wall that has the wainscoting, then have the sofa facing the TV, centered on the rug, get a console table to put behind the sofa, keep the far chair where it is now - at an angle facing the sofa, and the second chair opposite that one, in front of the window, also at an angle facing the sofa. Then people can swivel the chairs to watch TV.

This allows a walkway along the large blank wall that won't disrupt TV viewing AND it gives you an "enclosed" living area.

and pick up a coffee table from CL or somewhere.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

I would turn everything around. Having the sofa run parallel to the window wall/length of the room just exaggerates the long skinny feel. I'd turn the sofa and chairs so they are at right angles to long wall with either the back of the chairs or sofa to the dining room table depending on which side of the sofa looked better against the windows (arm side or non-arm side). I'm thinking the arm side might do better closest to windows with the non arm side facing into the room.

Just went back to look at your original question and it sounds like you've tried this already. Did you try it with the couch on the other side and the chairs closer to the dining space?

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I think the rug is making the living room appear to be in a little box rather than emphasizing the open space. If you do need/want a rug, I'd get something smaller between the sofa and chairs which would 'open up' the space.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Ideas to try out

Rotate the rug 90 degrees. It may visually alter the rooms proportions. Maybe?

I would try the sofa turned to line up perpendicular to the foyer. Then try one chair between the windows, and the other across from it.

I have to say that I don't feel the industrial and utilitarian blue cart fits with the other lovely items in the room. I would consider swapping it out for another piece.

I also think if you could paint the white heating register high in the wall the same color as the wall paint it would visually disappear.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Anothe thought...leave the couch where it is. Put the chairs facing each other with the back of one facing the dining room and the other chair at the other end of the sofa front facing the dining room. I would also remove the rug for any of the arrangements (including the one you have) because I think it's large size isn't doing the room any favors.

• elogan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas! That's as far as the rug can move away from the windows, otherwise it'll be in the walkway area, which would be weird. The tv will be mounted on the blank wall above the wainscoting. The cart isn't a permenant piece here, our 2 year old just likes to push it around and that's where it ended up :) the cube shelf will be replaced with more of a farm looking table with a shelf so I can put bins and baskets on the lower shelf, because I'm not a fan of the fake wood that the cube is made of or the dark color. Guess I need to get moving things around again!

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I agree, I think the rug is the elephant in the room. Totally wrong size for any arrangement in your room.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

What happened to the other arm of your sofa?

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Here is a link to my fave long skinny living room. Might give you some inspiration

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2136471}}

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

Put the sofa across from the tv wall, leave room for a table behind for lamps and a nice catch all bowl for keys and such since the entrance is there. Room beneath for a basket to collect purses. Put the chairs and the table between them in front of the window.

Enjoy your new place, it's nice :)

• voila
    9 years ago

Try to stop thinking of the walking space as a hallway, which it really isn't. It is a large open space in which you walk through. I might not be making sense, so forgive me. Since you said you did not enjoy walking into the sofa when exiting the bedroom, reconsider moving the rug out, because you CAN walk across a rug. It is not an impediment. Try pulling it out and/or turning it 90 degrees with the sofa parallel to the long edge with it's back to the dining area. If you keep the furniture to the right of the room, nothing should block your way. Before you get rid of the rug, try walking on it. If you still don't like it, can you use it in another room?

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I don't think the centered rug would look weird at all. What seems weird is the way the room looks now. In the picture below you can see an example of rug in the pathway. I don't like this type of decor but it shows that a rug will not look weird in a path.

Of your pieces in your room the rug is the best.

I think it is interesting that although you asked for help about the furniture, what you got was the first impression of four people that the rug needed fixing. It is the first thing noticed in the room.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Just reread your original post and see that your plan is to hang the television on the short wall. I thought you were hanging it on the long wall opposite the sofa. I think if you did hang it on the long wall, as I suggested, you could keep the sofa where it is and place the chairs at either ends of the sofa facing each other. All seats would be good for viewing the TV.

I also noticed in your earlier post that you also had doubts about the size of the rug. I think your instincts are correct.

• Tmnca
    9 years ago

I agree with others that it's the crowding to one side and leaving a wide "hallway" that makes it look off. If you don't have a wheelchair or anything to get though there, try decorating out from the walls a bit more and you will still be able to walk through fine! Lovely rug and I think it will all look great when less lopsided. Congratulations on your first house!

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I wouldn't put the TV on the short wall-- it will make arranging furniture a challenge. I'd put in on the long wall across from the windows.

You don't have to keep the walkway open along the wall-- you don't want to make the room seem narrower by pushing everything in the corner. It's ok to walk through the center of the room.

Pull the rug out and center it. For now, I'd scoot the couch down a few feet toward the short wall, and then move the two chairs at right angle to the couch, facing the short wall. Eventually I'd get two couches and put them in an L-shape. Get some lamps, tables, and artwork, and it will be much cozier.

Congrats on your first home, it looks very nice!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

It would look better if the sofa was placed in front of the far wall, but there is a problem with the location of the arm, so here are two options. Please poll the rug further away from the windows. It's ok to walk on the rug to get to the other rooms.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

Do you own the other part of the sectional which is the sofa with one arm? It's not a one armed sofa, it's a sectional minus its other section. If you have it, I would suggest using it. It just looks weird without it. I agree that the rug absolutely need to be either pulled out or lose it altogether because it just looks odd pushed up against the wall under the one armed sofa.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Problem with the TV being on the long wall is that it puts the walkway between the TV and the viewer(s).

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

Beverly, could you do a mock up with the television on the long wall as you have it, but have the sofa up against the window facing the tv and have the chairs at either end of the sofa with a coffee table in the center.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Sorry, oaktonmom, but that sofa so does not belong in front of the windows & I'm not arranging a room with a chair with its back to the flatscreen.

Tibbrix, when does someone have the space and the luxury of NOT walking in front of the flatscreen? It happens all the time.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

No problem Beverly; however, with the arrangement I suggested, none of the seating would have its back to the TV, I'm talking about having the TV placed on the long wall and having all of the seating facing it. Guess I didnt explain myself well. Anyhow, not a problem as the OP seems to have disappeared anyhow.

• elogan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tv can't be on the long wall. 1. That wall is shared with the 2 year olds room, tv noise if he's sleeping would be too much. 2. Cable hook up is in the corner by the short wall.
    We have a 2 year old and I want to keep the room open because he's quite active, I wouldn't want the rug pulled out anymore because it would get in the way. Eventually we will be replacing the rug because it's not really my style, just trying to make it work for now. Here's a picture of another view of the space.

Thanks for all the advice and inspiration, it's super helpful!

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update. Now we can stop spinning our wheels with suggestions that aren't negotiable.

• elogan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I told you what wall the tv was being mounted on originally. I didn't ask for advice on that. I'm looking for a furniture configuration that will work.

• elogan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trying something else. Once the tv is mounted, that cube shelf will be moving out of the living room, and I want to get a rustic wooden table with a shelf for storage baskets or something for in its place. I'd also want some sort of storage bench to go between the two yellow chairs. I think the problem is I'm not in love with the couch and rug, which we won't be able to afford replacements for a few months at least, so I just have to make due with them. I feel like a love seat would better suit the size of the space. The living room part of that area is 13 x 17, the rug is 8x11, couch is 6.8 x 2.8 ft, and the doorway to the master bedroom is 58 in. Don't know if that helps.

• elogan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another challenge, especially with it being cold outside, is we don't have a play room, so I guess I want to keep things nice and open so that the living room can easily be a play space as well.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like it that way, with the sofa facing the window. I think it creates a cohesive walkway and living area.

Btw, love your wall color. Do you know what it is?

Also, allow people to bandy about ideas. Despite not asking, you never know when someone has an idea you really like but didn't think of. Easy enough to simply reject what you know you don't want.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer