Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamskc

So... I think I missed the mark on Trim color. Thoughts?

iamskc
9 years ago

Kinda too late. I mean I could pay for a re-paint. But I'm not sure it's that bad. Should I? Not sure which way to go. I thought white would be too... I dunno. Like over bleached teeth can get? The main color is Dovetail. The trim Wool Skein. Sherwin Williams. Should I choose something else and repaint? Maybe the stone wainscot will make it better? or worse.

damn.

Comments (32)

• klem1
    9 years ago

As long as lighting and visability remain as they are in the picture noone can tell the difference anyhow so don't worry about it.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

I like it! Gorgeous!

Linda

• crl_
    9 years ago

It looks good to me!

Dh and I were watching some hgtv flip show the other day and they painted the trim bright white to freshen up the house or some such. But I didn't think it worked with the existing house paint color at all--too stark.

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

I think it looks beautiful.

• tdel123
    9 years ago

It looks beautiful, I wouldn't change a thing.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

Dovetail and Wook Skein are both yellow hue family. Technically, there is nothing wrong with that combination. Plus, I personally think it looks very nice.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Another vote for "looks perfect". What were you going for? I agree a brighter "white" would have been too BRIGHT. These two colors seem a perfect tonal match.

• rubyclaire
    9 years ago

Piling on here...I think it looks great together!

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

I waited for the pic to load expecting hideous. My first reaction was "gorgeous!" I love that colour combination. You're just trolling for compliments aren't you? :)

I'm curious what it is that you don't like about it? What colour is the stone going to be?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Funny, I was just driving past a place yesterday that had the gray with the cream and thought how pretty and interesting it was...you're fine.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

No need. I'm with everyone else. It's beautiful. And I love the black windows.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Bright white trim would cheapen the look of your very nice house. The stone is gonna look awesome....kudos...your there!
    Al

• lisa_mocha
    9 years ago

Gorgeous home!!
    I certainly wouldn't change it. I think the paired colors are soft & elegant:)

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Agreed! Looks good - glad it's not WHITE! Because that is the way that it would read to the eye.

This post was edited by TheFoxesPad on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 8:35

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I think it looks great, very pretty. What is it that you don't like about it? I like that you don't have white windows and white trim like most new builds seem to have.

• katlan
    9 years ago

Oh I think your house looks very nice. I think it has class. I didn't even notice black windows til it was pointed out, but I like!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

it looks nice to me too--- much better than a brighter white would! once the stone is up you will love it I'm sure! (and when the white trucks and the white tyvek are gone!!)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I wasn't sure what you meant until I zoomed in on the photo. From across the street, it looks fabulous! But up close, the color does seem a bit off. I think it will just take some getting used to. We are so used to seeing grey houses with bright white trim, so your color is just a bit unexpected. I do think it will grow on you, and will separate your house from the millions with the "builder basic" paint jobs :)

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean errant. I zoomed in too and it seems fine. Might just be my monitor?

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

I think it's great! In my opinion, I think it looks better than a harsh white. I think if you had it repainted white, you would wish you had left it as is.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

You didn't miss the mark, it looks wonderful. Funcolors is the expert so listen to her. She knows colors like no one I know.

• jubilante
    9 years ago

Hideous, ghastly, what an eyesore. ;)
    Really, you are so over-thinking this one. Go play!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I think it looks great and it will look even better when the white Tyvek is gone and no white van out front.

What color is the stone?

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I love the soft contrast. Creamy off white and warm gray are one of my favorite combinations!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

I like it too & think it will likely look even better in the warmer seasons w/ greenery around...

• Fori
    9 years ago

Don't park white cars out front and you'll love it. It's nice!

The only problem I can see is that the whole scene is somewhat dreary and wintry and I don't think anyone can fix that with paint. :P Include one or two nice tall evergreens in your landscaping plan because there isn't much you can do about winter and it keeps coming back.

But your paint choices are good!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I like it. I find it to be a very sophisticated look - slightly unexpected and therefore noticeable and then a "wow, what a cool look" reaction.

• Butternut
    9 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful house! I am saving it as one of my inspiration pictures :-)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Has a new level of sophistication. I'm sure the stone will look great with this.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

It looks great. I would not have thought anything was awry with the trim. I happen to have a gray house with white trim, but it's probably 1/3 the size of yours and so there's way less trim to deal with. The folks across the street have similar color scheme as yours, very creamy trim, and it's lovely, a nice break from the predictable (like my house).

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Looks great to me!

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well.. thank you so much! I was thinking it looked a little like old mayonnaise or urine in snow. But it's hard to argue with so many free-to-be honest strangers. I've feel much better. You're right, the tyvek and white vans have to be contributing. Narrowing down to two stones but both are basically light grayish-white with yellow/gold fieldstone. Thank you again for the comments. I will also take the evergreen advice. Really appreciate it.

Sponsored
Town & Country Pools, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Discover the Best Pool Builder in Virginia, Maryland & DC!