Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michoumonster

need help with fabric choices for banquette

michoumonster
10 years ago

hi everyone, I have been putting off doing my kitchen banquette cushions because frankly, i am at a loss as to what colors to go with. DH is pushing me to make a decision since sitting on the hard wood is a little uncomfortable. lol!

Here is a pic of my breakfast area. I want to do seat cushions plus back cushions/pillows. they can be different fabrics. Just need your high fashion sense to put me in the right direction as to what colors/styles to pick to achieve a fresh-contemporary looking breakfast area.
oh, also, i have toddlers, so something low maintenance would be a plus (i do plan to scotch guard though..)
thank you!!

Here is the bfast area in daylight

Here is a close up of the backsplash and light
The light is more cobalt blue, the backsplash more green grey blue, that looks teal sometimes.

This post was edited by michoumonster on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 18:28

Comments (14)

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ellendi, thanks I have been looking at sunbrella but not sure what colors.
    My kitchen cabs are natural walnut lowers and creamy white uppers, walls are also creamy white. Tile is sort of grey blue green, floors are limestone and my light fixture has blue glass shades. I originally thought blue fabrics might look nice but would that be too much blue?
    I'll take a pic in daylight and update my post in a bit.

• Laurie
    10 years ago

That's a beautiful breakfast area!
    The light fixture is pretty. It looks like it has blue/turquoise glass. The walls and cabinets look white. The back splash tile appears to be a medium or dark gray.

With small children, it would be beneficial to have zippers on the cushions/pillows. If the fabric gets real dirty, you could take it off and have it cleaned.

A print would hide more dirt than a solid.

• Laurie
    10 years ago

After I posted, I noticed you added more pictures! Those added pics help.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laurie, thanks for those fabrics. Are those sunbrella also? One question I have is would it be too much blue in the room if I go with blue fabrics too?

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

Zara Moroccan

from the sunbrella.com site.

it echos the diagonal motif of the tile that is pretty strong, has browns/neutrals/blue which may go well with your kitchen, but it is hard to tell what color things are in the photos you picked, other than those blue glass lamp shades, which seem to be calling for a touch of blue to land on.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

detroit, thanks for the zara suggestion. i do like it a lot.
    i'll have to see if any fabric stores here have some samples of it.
    i found a few banquette pics on houzz that i liked. do you guys think any of these would look ok in my space?
    this one is sort of a navy blue? i like the pattern but maybe it is too dark, maybe too traditional for my space, which is sort of dark already...

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by San Diego Interior Designers & Decorators Savvy Interiors

this one is very neutral and bright and the style of the house is similar to mine. would that look ok or should i try to bring in more blue?

[Mediterranean Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mediterranean-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2109) by Oakland General Contractors Mueller Nicholls Cabinets and Construction

i also like this one which feels fresh, but maybe do blue accent pillows instead?

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Nashville Interior Designers & Decorators Casella Interiors

This post was edited by michoumonster on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 22:02

• andreak100
    10 years ago

We're considering using one of the Crypton fabrics for our banquette. You can find a bunch of them on the Joann's Fabric website or head into a store if it's nearby to see if anything would work for you with those.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

andrea, thanks for the crypton suggestion. there is a joann near my house. i will look to see if they have this brand. i also can go to Calico corners too, though it is a bit of a trip, so i wanted to try to get a few ideas beforehand. i always feel a little lost when i go into these stores, then I end up taking forever, lol. thanks!

• Laurie
    10 years ago

Both of those fabrics I posted above are from Jo Ann's. They are upholstery fabric and not sunbrella.

The Waverly Souk's Entry/Moonstone is 60% cotton, 40% polyester.
    The Eaton Square Erica Peacock is 100% cotton.

It is a personal choice as to how much blue you want in that area. If it was my space, I would go with something like the gray scroll Waverly print. I think the light fixture is so exquisite
    & I would want that to stand out.

If I did include some blue in the fabric choice, I would personally prefer it to be a small amount (not the main color)
    & it would be important to get the shade of blue to be just right so it doesn't clash with the blue in the glass on the fixture.

This is just my opinion, I'm not a designer of any sort.

-Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Upholstery Fabric-Waverly Souk's Entry/Moonstone

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laurie, thanks for your advice. I think I tend to agree with you about wanting the light to stand out more. I like the waverly souk you linked a lot. It has that Moroccan vibe I am going for too. I can't tell from the color but on my screen it looks green though if it is greenish grey then it might work. I will try to see it at joann fabrics in person. Thank you!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I love the dove tone on this page.

Here is a link that might be useful: sunbrella fabric

• Laurie
    10 years ago

The Waverly Souk is some shade of gray. However, I have not seen it in person. When I was browsing JoAnn's site, I picked on the color search for gray.

If you don't see it in person at the store, swatches are available online.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yaya, do you mean the one called empire dove? if so, yes i like it too. the prices on the site you linked seem good too, thank you!!

laurie, thanks! i will see if joann has it. i know they have a bunch of sample boards. i might order it if i cannot find it. honestly, i have never ordered fabric before (mostly just bought whatever i saw in stores before to make simple stuff like PJ pants, lol).