Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_r_ct

Need help! 'non granite, marble or slate' fireplace surround???

lynn_r_ct
16 years ago

Just posted this in fireplaces but you may have some great ideas here so suggest away.

I am having the most difficult time deciding what to use for the fireplace surround. I am not a fan of marble, granite or slate - I like porcelin tile but I am afraid of getting too busy. The room's decor is transitional so I am looking for something in between formal and casual. The website for the fireplace is below - we purchased the Deerfield Vintage Iron front (scroll to the bottom).

http://www.mendotahearth.com/mendota-fireplaces-db.asp?group=11

Here is the mantel I have. You can see there is a lot of detail.

http://www.michaelsandgiles.com/popup_image.php?pID=32

Can anyone post pictures of their "non marble, granite, slate" surround for me to see? Does anyone know of a website I could go to? TIA

Comments (11)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Soapstone was the first thing that came to my mind, but maybe you don't like stone period?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

It's a softer look.

• lynn_r_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel heaven - how I wish I could figure out how you did that - if it isn't too complicated I would love for you to email me with directions. On a computer savvy scale of 1 - 10 I am about a 6.5 so I should be able to figure it out. I guess I really am not a "stone" person (although I would love soapstone for my kitchen counters). I do like "rocks" though. Someone was showing me "pebble rocks" - tiny stones that come in 12 x 12 sheets. I didn't know if they would be lost with all the proportions of the mantel and fireplace. You seem to be on the right track so please toss out the suggestions.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Lynn, did you look in our Gallery at the fireplace thread? It has lots of pics and it may give you some ideas. Beautiful choices, btw!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I use a photo editing program (MS Digital Imaging Suite, which is discontinued :( I capture images from the net with ScreenPrint Platinum and then cut and paste materials into the photo. It's pretty much cut & paste, although I have taken to a lot of the other tools to work with color and blending, etc.

Someone recently posted a free photo editing program ...

You can either superimpose (paste) or also cut the stone out of your original picture and place the new material behind in the blank space, which might be an easy way for you to go.

Usually the net images are too bright, so tone down the color a bit using the saturation and lightness/darkness features in the coloring tools. Feathering the edges with the blur tool is another good tip.

I would say it seems you have enough detail with the grill and mantel, so it's hard to imagine putting pebbles in, which does seem off in style as well with the mantel. Not that we need any rules :) I do think they look very pretty together with a simple, plain surround, though. I only tried the soapstone, low contrast, which I find keeps it very simple to let the details of the mantel and grill shine. Everything shouldn't be calling for attention or it will get too busy and confusing to look at. I'm sure you know what I mean :)

Such beautiful pieces!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here are the small pebbles. This element just has a completely different character for your mantel.

The soapstone may even be a bit earthy for the delicate and elegant mantel, although I do like it (and it can be given a soft sheen).

I'm wondering how a smooth plaster would look, although that's essentially a stone finish also. I'd scour pictures to see a variety of materials for such a traditional style.

• les917
    16 years ago

With such a traditional and formal look, I don't see pebbles at all. Perhaps you could explain why you don't like slate or marble or granite, so that we could understand what it is that you DON'T want. Is it too cold feeling, or do you envision it being shiny? You say you like porcelain tile, but are afraid it would get too busy - in what respect?

Finally, what colors are you thinking would work - do you want it to essentially disappear (so something light) or make the firebox area look larger (perhaps something dark, then, for presence)? What are your furnishings and color plan like?

• demeron
    16 years ago

What about brick?

• lynn_r_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oceana, for the life of me I cannot get to the fireplace gallery. Could you help? TYIA Lynn

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

The Gallery link is right next to the Conversations link ... before the list of discussion threads in HD.

Linked below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery - Fireplace Thread

• les917
    16 years ago

Here is the link to the thread on fireplaces, lynn.

show us your fireplaces