Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treecity

Do any of these dining tables work?

Oaktown
9 years ago

I spent some time this weekend looking at dining tables, even went down to Restoration Hardware to see some of the ones that beverly27 so kindly suggested on my earlier thread. Unfortunately, DH really disliked the distressed finish on the tops of the RH tables. So, I found a few possibilities, and I would appreciate any opinions, even if it is "those are all ugly" :-)

Here is the space again. In the mockup the cardboard represents 94" across, chairs are 41.5" high for scale. How long should the table should be?

{{gwi:2136415}}

OPTION 1: 94"x41", concrete top

{{gwi:2136416}}

OPTION 2: 100"x41" extended (80"x41" closed) - but not too keen on this color

{{gwi:2136417}}

OPTION 3: Available in custom sizes, diff woods, shown in 84"x36" cherry

OPTION 4: 104"x36" (too narrow?), also available in walnut

OPTION 5: 95"x39" (budget option, would move to kitchen later)
{{gwi:2136420}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Prior thread

Comments (28)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

They have some very pretty tables here

Here is a link that might be useful: Tables

• amykath
    9 years ago

Not sure this is bulky enough for you. It's very simple.

Here is a link that might be useful: Table

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I glanced at the previous thread for more information on your needs in a dinning area. I am stuck on the appearance that a non-expandable table is being considered. Your area would morf easily for a larger gathering if that need ever arises so I would want a table that would lengthen too, for that eventuality. How many do you need to seat ? The use of the space would be a larger influence for me than how the table "fits" the space.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

I agree with Arcy about a table that expands for your space. Of the tables you posted I like the second one but in a dark stain.
    The last three are beach house but if you paint the last one a color (best) or get it stained dark then I would do that, if you will need a kitchen table soon. Gives you time to mull your options longer for the dining area.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think the last three look too "flimsy" for that room.

Are you set on rectangle? I think a large round table would be really great in there.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I like the looks and heft of the first two tables, but I worry about legs and feet constantly knocking into the base....it may just be the pictures...perhaps there is plenty of room. I would NOT do a concrete top.....it will be killer to move!

I like Tibbrix's pick.....something along those lines would be pretty whether round or rectangular.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Don't be distracted by the "art" of a tables legs. Most of the time no one sees the legs. Either they are sitting at the table or the chairs are camouflaging the table legs. The FUNCTION of the table should be your driving force. As stated above leg/knee/feet room considerations are vital to comfort. I too thought an expandable round/oval table would work well. It would be so versatile for family games, more intimate for just two, yet ready to expand for a large gathering. I think an unused/unset round table is so much more beautiful than the everyday empty rectangle.

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone, this is why I need and appreciate the help!

DH's requests were for a solid, non-distressed top preferably in one piece. If it's an extending table we're probably going to need to see it in person first. The table we have now has extensions, which DH despises, crumbs catch in the cracks and the kids bump the leaves out, and the cracks are right where folks want to sit, etc. So he has been asking for a table that is "long enough" when not extended. And the apron needs to be at least 26" from the floor, at least on the end, 27" better.

ravencajun, thanks, there is one from that site that might work, I will try to go see it in the next week or so.

aktillery, thanks, I had forgotten about Macy's. I like the finish on that table, will try to go see it too.

Arcy, we are hoping to seat 10.

Tibbrix, so you think a round table would work? The light is 49" long. Not sure there is enough space for a 60"-66", but I can try to mock it up this week. I might be biased since I've only ever sat at large round tables at weddings and business functions (and Chinese restaurants :-)).

joaniepoanie, the first table top is concrete over plywood, so hopefully it would not weigh a ton!

I was actually looking for a farmhouse table with simple but turned legs and some of the longer ones have a fifth leg in the middle for stability? I hadn't seen that before.

This post was edited by Oaktown on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 12:15

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love big, round dining table. I think they're much more intimate, and I love the way they look in a room, when set for a dinner party, etc.

It might be the pic, but it looks like you should be able to get a good-size round table in there, no? Is the chandy centered on the ceiling?

Round tables were much more common in "olden times", so Id recommend also looking in antique stores. I once found the more gorgeous round table in an antique store and I would have killed for it. I just had no place for it, but I've never forgotten it and I've been stuck on round tables, when possible, ever since!

And Arcy makes a really great point about table legs.

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago

Try unfinished furniture. They can finish in color or distress if you choose. They had a lot of options in nicely crafted pieces for the cost just over $2300 for 6 chairs and table.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Something like this? Custom made, so you can pick the wood, size, finish, etc. Up to 60" diameter. But it will be pricey.

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom round table

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

Is that soapstone on your built-in? I kind of like the 1st table with the darker concrete top. You have beautiful hardwood floors I think a wood table in the same tones just fades into the floor. Your black chairs in the mock-up look nice. Have you considered a black table with some fabric chairs?

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Love your light fixture. Your space is fabulous and calls for an extra nice table.

Saloom Furniture has lots of dining table options. Their furniture is all American made and all the tables available in various woods, sizes/shapes, finishes and base or leg options. They are based in MA but have dealers across the country. Their website linked below let's you search for dealers across the USA.
    I have had one of their pedestal tables for years and it is still solid as can be, no wobbles what so ever. My table is round with a leaf that makes it oval. It has a Corian top which is mounted on some kind of wood type material. It is very heavy. I keep the leaf in all the time because it is too heavy to handle by myself. So think twice about the concrete topped table. I bet it will be very heavy too. Also, 36 inches wide is quite narrow for a dining table. By the time you put plates and glassware on each side there will not be much space for serving dishes. I wouldn't go smaller the 42" wide.

Here are a few example of their tables
    {{gwi:2136421}}

{{gwi:2136422}}

{{gwi:2136423}}

{{gwi:2136424}}

{{gwi:2136425}}

http://www.saloom.com/dining-room-tables

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining tables

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Oaktown, you have a super beautiful space!

Just a comment on seating 10. I think the length you have mocked up looks awesome (94-96"). We have a 96" table. It is really not comfortable with four adults on a side (10 total). Squished. I would prefer at least 30" per adult for elbow room for dining. So to seat ten with only one person on each end, I would like a 120" table. This might mean a 90+" table with extensions for rarer ten-person dining.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 12:26

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I also saw in your inspiration pictures some parsons tables and I really was feeling a parsons table for your space. Maybe a modern take (black?). Room and Board does Parsons by the inch but they are of course $$$$.

Personally I would prefer a rectangle table with your linear chandelier.

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

deleted... (thank you, Tibbrix)

This post was edited by arapaho on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 14:36

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

deleted... (thank you, Tibbrix)

This post was edited by arapaho on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 14:37

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

arapaho, her DH doesn't care for the reclaimed wood look/texture on top.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I don't know if I'd be thrilled with any of these choices. If those are the dining chairs, I would nix 1 and 2, in fact I am unsure what chairs would help those tables to work with the built in.

I think #3 works, but maybe with a painted base.

#4 is an interesting option, a sort of retro, danish modern look that might be as far as you want to push the modern with those traditional elements of the built in and spindle chairs.

#5. Gosh, I don't think so because of the top, unless you could get it unfinished and match your own stain.

I missed beverly27's suggestions, sorry if I am repeating anything, but my first impression was a Shaker style tapered leg table. Could be black bottom wood top, or all black or antique wood? Straight Leg shaker is another option.

I always like the look of the ones with the wide overhang and either an arched apron or drawers.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 14:33

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, now I am thoroughly confused :-)

Sorry, I should have pasted the pictures from my prior thread. This is a dining/living combo room, and one of the long sides is a major walkway to the kitchen. So we'll pass the table every day, several times a day. The room looks big due to lack of furniture but only is a bit over than 18'x28'. It is 64" from the center of the light to the built-in counter. Not sure about moving the light as it is centered in the ceiling bay. The architect designed the room assuming a 44" wide table.

{{gwi:2136426}}

robotropolis, I have been thinking about the size -- the table in our kitchen is 92"x35". We've squeezed 9 a few times, the kids and I are small, but the kids are growing fast. I have been eyeing the 96"x34" Parsons from R&B as a replacement for the kitchen, since the leg placement definitely is better! (The IKEA table above is 95" extending to 115"). At this point I am leaning towards getting one of these for the kitchen but putting it in the dining room as a placeholder while we look at other tables.

I am very grateful for the other suggestions! I got quite distracted at the idea of a round table, and saw a bunch of split-base pedestals that are very intriguing. Going to search in this direction too. This is a 48" split-base extending up to 120" (6 leaves):

{{gwi:2136427}}

I found a Saloom dealer nearby and will go check them out, though not sure about their table sizes. I like this photo, but the table is only 80":

{{gwi:2136428}}

And this table from Macy's might work (??extends to 98", not sure of apron clearance); it goes on sale in a couple of weeks, then it will be nearly as inexpensive as the one from IKEA:

Are these better?

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Missed the last few posts --

arapaho, thanks, but DH vetoed distressed tops. I suppose a rustic look would fly so long as the top is smooth (resined?).

Lilylore, I just pulled the chairs from the kitchen table. I need dining chairs too :-(

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'm really stuck on a round table even more now, seeing the whole space.

A 60" table would leave only 34" between the table edge and the built-in, although the edge is curved, so it might work. I'd get as large a table as can fit in there without a leaf and then maybe have a leaf or two for very large gatherings. I really like the pedestal table you posted.

Be mindful of legs, so pedestal tables really work best.

I have a 42" round claw foot pedestal table in my DR which has two leaves in it. 42" is very small! With the leaves in it, it seats 6. With no leaves ,it seats four with NO room for anything other than plates and flatware and drinking glass.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Btw, check your local Craigslist. The oak claw foot antique tables are always on CL for sale. Here is a beautiful one for sale, 48", for $125. However, it's missing the leaves. You can have them made, though. I did for mine.

• teacats
    9 years ago

maybe this one in black?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn -- table

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Hmm, I like the curviness of the Macy's table with your couch. But, the extensions are in the middle.

LOVE the pottery barn table! And it occurs to me you might be able to use it most of the time with the leaf out.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 15:06

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'd get a big round table, but then I've always coveted a round dining table (and unfortunately, that wouldn't work in my current home). I would not, however, get what I consider to be the old-fashioned ones being posted here, unless that's a style you really like -- they just seem very different in style from the first ones you posted (I like the very first one, and I also don't agree that focusing on the legs is wrong -- you see the legs from everywhere in the room, and to me, they definitely should be appealing). What I'd really like is the very first table, but round.

There are a few tables you might like here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Celadon House tables

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Oaktown what's the make/model of that great quartersawn oak round table you posted? That is perfect for my DR!
    I am watching this tread closely...then I wont have to post my own ;)

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi missymoo12, I put a link to the round table in the website below, they have a lot of interesting stuff and a storefront in LA if you are anywhere close. I find the whole notion of a split-base extension appealing, I love stuff like that :-) (and the whole Amish made in USA bit). Though I don't think that particular table works in our space, maybe it will in yours. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to table

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor