Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oopsie913

a soft sisal rug? Know one?

oopsie913
14 years ago

I am looking for a sisal rug, light colored, maybe with black trim, maybe not with black trim. Am told that many are not soft. We are on a budget but I really want an 8x10 max for our family toom that wont break the budget. Any advice on where to get a soft one? Thanks for any help

Comments (11)

• les917
    14 years ago

You could look for a wool sisal. Has the appearance and style of the sisal, with the rough feel underfoot. As for breaking the budget, can you offer a price range that would work for you? One person's expensive is another's pocket change.

Here is one from Restoration Hardware that comes in the honey/honey or honey/black combinations.

wool sisal rug

• les917
    14 years ago

Meant to write "WITHOUT" the rough feel underfoot. Sorry!

• budge1
    14 years ago

You could also try seagrass instead of sisal - I've heard they are softer.

• runninginplace
    14 years ago

I have an IKEA sisal rug in my dining room, and it is not rough underfoot. I've also been very pleasantly surprised that it doesn't seem to stain or show dirt badly.

I wanted to try sisal but didn't want to spend much in case all the negatives I'd heard/read turned to be true. IKEA is ideal for that because you definitely won't be out much money and as mentioned, the quality has turned out to be pretty high.

Just checked; they don't sell 8x10 but the largest size is only $149. The next size down is $99...you really can't go too far wrong at those prices!

Good luck
    Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA Sisal Rug

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I just opened a sisal boulce (spice) rug I had ordered from Sisal Rugs Direct several months ago. I ordered 2 sets of free samples before purchasing. Sign up for email and they will send you a coupon and/or go to www.retailmenot.com for coupons. They were having a sale on top of that. I also got a nice size free door mat rug. Different pattern/color, but still useable.

The seagrass is softer than sisal. I believe the free rug is a seagrass. I'll run downstairs in a bit and see if so/how much softer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sisal Rugs Direct

• naptimerocks
    14 years ago

I have a sisal from Pottery Barn that is not rough at all. I also love my oversized chunky jute rug from PB as well. Very, very soft with the look of natural fiber. They are both very reasonable for an 8x10. I think you can get the chunky jute rugs for about $400.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Rugs

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

I put a "soft" seagrass down in my living room and it really is soft to the touch. My DH wanted to make sure it was soft and it really is!! (Sort of feel like a heavily laundered seagrass - not scratchy) -Below is the link to my living room so you can see it. The company is Blackstone Carpets in Dallas - but they only sell to the trade. They were a really easy company to work with - I had a great experience with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soft Seagrass/Sisal

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I just bought DD2 one of the PB Heather Chenille Jute rugs for her LR. SO SOFT!

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Heather Chenille Jute

• kimmcmill
    11 years ago

Hi there, bumping this topic to see if anyone knows the approximate cost for blackstone's soft segrass? Per sqft or square yard? Thanks!!!

• Markck
    10 years ago

Sisal is a pretty tough material to begin with, but you have a couple options if you want the sisal look without the toughness to go with it.

1. You can get a blended carpet, consisting of sisal and wool / synthetic fabric / cotton. Blends are great, but you need to extremely careful not to get them wet because they can warp easily.

2. Go with another natural rug type, like seagrass or jute.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Perfect Rug Sisal Rugs

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Do you have a Garden Ridge in your area? They have a ton! I recently bought a blk/ ivory sisal, that looks like a check, and in bare feet, very soft. It's 8'x10' and was only $80.