Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Thoughts on 2-tone q/sawn oak lowers and painted uppers? X-post

juddgirl2
9 years ago

This is sort of an x-post from kitchens where I was asking if it was possible to replace my honey oak doors with quartersawn white oak without having a mismatch in grain and stain color.

Looking for more input on 2-toned kitchens and whether it might be a good option to use stained quartersawn oak shaker style lowers and White Dove painted uppers in order to update some good quality but tired looking honey oak cabinets. I'm definitely replacing the fronts - the only question now is the style and color.

I'm also considering Edgecomb Gray for the lowers but wood might work better with my existing granite and keep some warmth in the kitchen.

These are some inspiration pictures of stained lowers and painted uppers that I included in the other post (I have the same slate floor and stone fireplace as shown in the first 2 pics).

{{gwi:2135269}}

Farmhouse Kitchen by London Kitchen Designers & Remodelers Harvey Jones Kitchens

{{gwi:2135270}}

Rustic Kitchen by Omaha Design-Build Firms Precision Enterprises, Inc.

Traditional Kitchen by Marietta Kitchen & Bath Designers Creative Cabinets and Faux Finishes. LLC

{{gwi:2135271}}

Transitional Kitchen by San Carlos General Contractors Allwood Construction Inc

{{gwi:2135272}}

Traditional Kitchen by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Nina sobiNina Design

Traditional Kitchen by Ottawa Cabinets & Cabinetry Laurysen Kitchens Ltd.

Here is a link that might be useful: Xpost on Kitchens Forum

Comments (7)

• daisychain01
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am a huge fan of 2 tone kitchens, but I am also biased as I have had this in my kitchen for about 8 years now. I was worried I might tire of it or it would become overly trendy, but hasn't happened yet.

I also love the quarter sawn oak. I grew up in a huge old farmhouse and many of the built ins were the big old oak. I think the two would go very well together.

Would it go with the rest of the house? Is your other woodwork painted? what about floors?

Also meant to add that my lowers are stained charcoal, but another member here had stained wood lowers in her old kitchen that looked lovely. Maybe she will post some pics.

This post was edited by daisychain01 on Thu, Jan 8, 15 at 7:34

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

daisychain - thanks so much! It helps to know you haven't tired of your 2 tone cabinets even after 8 years.

I think either stained wood or painted greige lowers with creamy white uppers would work with the rest of the house. It has a rustic look with walnut stained wide plank floors, slate floors in the kitchen, reclaimed wood, antique pine, ORB Baldwin hardware, etc. I also have quite a few painted pieces and creamy white millwork.

Kind of modern country/rustic with a bit of traditional, I guess. I have quartersawn oak furniture in the master and a more grayed washed oak RH wall unit in the living room.

• User
    9 years ago

I have the same question as daisychain--will it go with the house? I think QS is more than just a cabinet option--it has to fit. I love it, but my house is late 90s traditional with no architectural interest and skimpy moldings. I also love rift sawn oak, which leans contemporary and may be less dependent on home style.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

may flowers - stained lower cabinets will work in my house but I understand what you mean about quartersawn oak being more than just a cabinet option.

Below is a link to a post with some pictures of my interior. Do you think it would be good fit in my house? Stained knotty alder or something similar might be a better fit but the existing frames are oak.

Here is a link that might be useful: My house photos

This post was edited by juddgirl2 on Thu, Jan 8, 15 at 15:47

• jmc01
    9 years ago

The way that wood is cut that results in it being called "quarter sawn" is a totally different way of cutting than just taking a trunk and slicing it into planks/veneers. Google "quarter sawn" and see how the cutting occurs.

As a result, there is no way possible that grains will match. Nor should they.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I love cream uppers and wood stained lowers. I had it in my house and never tired of it!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jmc - of course you're correct the grains won't match. Maybe I should have worded that first part differently.

I'm wondering if the difference in the grain would be very noticeable if I use full overlay doors and the same stain on the doors and frames. If anyone has done this I'd love to know if it worked out. If it's not a good option, I might just go with my first plan of painting the lowers in a darker color than the white dove uppers.

I'm also interested in hearing from others about the 2 toned stained/painted look in general.

artillery -thanks! Good to hear from someone else who is very happy with their stained lowers and cream uppers!