Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catkin_gw

Does Anyone Have Black Interior Doors?

catkin
13 years ago

They're so intriguing! I love the look but am still on the fence for this idea in my home.

Comments (30)

• fnmroberts
    13 years ago

Yes, I believe black doors and trim can pull off an inviting look. We have two sets of French Doors in our basement, painted black. I don't have a photo fully showing both sets but hopefully these will give you an idea. You can also see black base cabinets behind the bar.

{{gwi:1502331}}

{{gwi:1540576}}

We also have a black bookcase:
    {{gwi:1540577}}

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

We have some and that's part of my "to-do" list, painting the rest. Our home is more traditional in style, so the doors are black with the trim cream. I love that look like you see in old American or English homes. Yum. My house is neither (! and how -- 1997 suburban mcmansion), but I think with our decor and all the trims we've added it works.

Without taking another picture (sorry, now's not a good time) this is the only pic I have. French doors are part of that list ... and I think they'll look fabulous!

• catkin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow--thanks you two--they look great, just as I expected! I wasn't sure about cream or black trim but they both really work!

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I only like the look when there's only one door in the room. When there's more, they look like entry doors to me and then the interior looks like an apartment building. I've tried shaking the thought, so I can do the same but I haven't been successful. I'm going to try a faux wood stain on the doors instead.

• nanny2a
    13 years ago

My house is also like rmkitchen's in that not all the doors are painted thus far. I'm the painter, so finishing the second floor is still on my list, as well as all the french doors (4). Here's how some of it looks so far.

• yborgal
    13 years ago

I don't have personal pictures right now, just the realty listing pics, but my DD painted all of her interior doors in a high gloss black and left the trim white. It looks stunning and dramatic. I was doubtful before she did it, but I'm a convert now.

BTW, the home sold for nearly full asking price!!!! Amen!!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Raleigh home

• nanny2a
    13 years ago

monablair, it was those photos of your DD's house that convinced me that I wanted to do the same. Her interior color looks similar to mine, so I had a good idea how it would look. I do admit to loving the black doors, and now only need to finish 14 more. Perhaps your DD would like to come and help? LOL!

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Most of my doors are almost black (it's 50/50 espresso and black) as is my trim. A couple of doors in the pics were in the process of being painted so any streaks are just the first coat which is all done now (thank god LOL) Anyhoo, just a few...and my trim is the same color by the way:

{{gwi:1540583}}

{{gwi:1388977}}

{{gwi:1540584}}

• PetuniaBlossom
    13 years ago

So if you were going to do this what kind of paint would you recommend satin/gloss/high gloss and what kind of door hardware would look best? I really like the look also, the thing that scares me is if you end up not liking it, what is it going to take to get the doors back to white. And also, do you think this is a regional thing, because I live in the south and I don't think I recall seeing any black interior doors.

• OllieJane
    13 years ago

In our last home, all our interiors doors were creamy white, EXCEPT for one, the powder room door, that was visible from most places in the center of the house. Everyone commented how much they like that door, not sure if it was so noticeable because it was the only one in the house or not. (I saw it a beautiful model home once, just the one door, so I had to copy them).

I do like ALL black doors in homes too, though.

• nanny2a
    13 years ago

Petuniablossom, I'm in the south! Perhaps we could start a trend for black doors in the low country.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

My doors were mostly missing their hardware in those pics but they are all done in gloss paint (btw the best black door paint is from fine paints of Europe and I think it's called Dutch door if I remember right) and my hinges and knobs are in a rubbed bronze finish that is basically black. I think crystal can be gorgeous and then the wonderful black glass knobs of old of course look fabulous.

• catkin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for weighing in! Great questions, too.

Are all these doors high gloss? Is there a reason high gloss is used instead of semi-gloss?

I'm thinking I'll do the inside of the 2 exterior doors only and use my trim color Alabaster instead of black. If I don't love the cream trim around the door, I can always paint it black.

Can someone suggest a SW paint line for the black? No oil, though!

Thanks for the pics!

• User
    13 years ago

I think it would look nice in high gloss or semi gloss but IMO, high gloss has a richer look.

This is something I've considered doing a while back but between being half chicken that it wouldn't look right in my house and the fact that I painted most of the doors white not that long ago, with a few more to finish, I haven't done it.

I think it looks great though.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

I only use the sherwin Williams pro classic for doors and trims. It's incredibly durable. (so is the fpe but that isn't always handy). I once tried a dark tone (navy) on a door is a less glossy paint sheen and all you saw was dull paintm not the richness of a true gloss paint which a dark door needs to really work IMO.

• jiggreen
    13 years ago

Now, you got ME thinking...I am loving the black doors with the white trim! We have glossy white moldings, and painted black wood floors.... The walls are painted in Behr Calm Air (sort of a buttercreamy tannish/yellowish color..lol...it's lots of different colors depending on time of day!). I painted all of the doors the same glossy white as the trim, but seeing the pictures with the white trim and black doors, I'm thinking I might go in that direction instead! Hey, it's only paint, right? I say go for it!! If it doesn't "speak to you" it can be painted over. I know in my case, it wouldn't be the first (second!) or last time I painted something and then 2 months later changed my mind. (like w/ these currently glossy white doors!)

• fnmroberts
    13 years ago

catkin

I located the container from left from painting our doors. It was several years ago so I'm providing all the info I can read on the label.

SW ColorAccents Interior Latex Satin
    Ultra Deep Base, Architectural Latex
    6258 Tricorn Black

Hope this info is helpful.

• catkin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

shee & igloo, I think you're right--it HAS to be gloss! Thank you so much for the scoop on the Pro Classic.

jiggreen go for it!!! LOL

fmroberts, you're wonderful! I can't thank you enough for the info!

I'm now thinking the doors trimmed in black look more appealing! I'll google more pics and decide...

Thanks everyone.

• dixiedo
    13 years ago

Just wanted to pop in and say that yesterday I was feeling a bit antsy... Sooooo... I got the first coat of black on nearly all of our interior doors =) They look amazing!!

If you are at all on the fence about this project, do it!!! You will not be disappointed!

• dtr56
    13 years ago

would you paint doors black that are not solid wood? fabricated (for lack of a better name..eg builder grade) interior doors and a metal front door? Just curious if they would have the same beautiful effect? I have been contemplating this for awhile and am enjoying all of your beautiful black-painted door photos! Thank you!

• dixiedo
    13 years ago

dtr56: Mine are the "builders doors".... white with a faux "wood-grain" texture to them. They look 100X better black... I wish I had my camera, I would upload pics. Only have one coat on them and it looks so much richer already!

• dtr56
    13 years ago

Yeah....thanks for the info. I was worried the black would make them look worse but glad to hear they will look better black....I don't know if I would dare paint good wooden doors black...post pics when you can, and what paint did you use? I am getting antsy and ready to start soon! Many thanks dixiedo!

• catkin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yay dixiedo! So, what brand, color and sheen did you use? Got pics? Thanks.
    I will wait till the weather warms and I think I'll do my exit/entrance doors (2) only and keep the trim Alabaster.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

The hall door above is metal and the ones with glass are some sort of composition. The balance are builders grade from the 80s.

I can't wait to see pics!

• dtr56
    13 years ago

dixiedo...how are the painted doors coming? any pics yet. we are anxiously awaiting and do fill us in the paint color/type details!

• catkin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bumping

• southernheart
    13 years ago

Hi Catkin, I'm late to the party, but the French doors leading to Meg Ryan's apartment in You've Got Mail are painted dark. In the photos linked below (about halfway down the blog post), they appear to be brown, but in the movie, they looked like a muted black to me. I love the look!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dark French Doors in You've Got Mail

• dtr56
    13 years ago

Thanks for bumping catkin, I guess dixiedo is busy painting away. Anxious to see her pics too but enjoyed seeing all the others....beautiful! I cannot wait until our snowy weather breaks to start "spring painting". We will all try to patiently wait for dixiedo

• catkin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bumping again! I finally got the SW Tricorn Black in high gloss acrylic but won't paint till Spring. Don't want to rush into anything. LOL

Dixiedo? Where are you?

• sjoyz
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We are building a new home and we are planning to use ivory painted kitchen cabinets with an island made from black painted cabinets. The flooring will be a medium wood tone and I am thinking the molding/trim should be a shade lighter or darker than the ivory cabinets. I don't like the idea of white trim next to ivory cabinets. However, I would love to paint the six panel interior doors in black. Would this be too much black? Would it look better to go with a wood tone island?