Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kthow3_gw

Paint colors

kthow3
9 years ago

I am having the hardest time choosing a color for my entryway and hallways. I'm not sure if it's the lighting or the colors I'm choosing, but I need serious help! We have stained oak floor and trim (orangey yellow). Eventually we will replace it with white trim but that's not happening for awhile. We just painted our family room Benjamin Moore Rockport Gray, which looks awesome. The entryway is two stories and whatever color we choose we will use to paint the entryway, upstairs hallway, and living room, as they're all connected. The entryway doesn't have a ton of natural light. I'm not a huge fan of using whites/light colors. We've tried quite a few samples, but none seem to look right. We've tried revere pewter, which looked blue. Balanced beige looked bland. We've tried numerous others as well. I'd like for it to be cozy, and warm. Also, it needs to go with rockport grey that's in our family room, as the hallway is adjacent to the family room. The picture shows (left to right): balanced beige, grant beige, sandy hook gray, sag harbor gray.

Comments (19)

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I really like the Sag Harbor gray from your samples. I'm linking the "color trends" from Benjamin Moore's site and the color of the year with the accompanying colors that go with it. Not sure how it will help but just FYI. The Sag Harbor has a little green in it which I like with your floor and current trim color. Or it could just be my monitor. I feel for you, picking paint colors is so scary! It's such an expensive mistake and one we have to live with everyday so we want it to be right and "feel" right to us, too. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Benjamin Moore, Color of the Year, Trends

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Not much natural light; BM Rockport Gray (a gorgeous color! I agree w/u!), orangey-yellow woodwork, one day will be whiteâ¦.

Believe it or not, I'd paint it BM Clydesday Brown

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Similar to Clydesdale Brown

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Regardless of what color you choose, you may consider adding a strip of molding around ceiling height of the first floor so you can have a natural break and then use a different color above. When you have large volumes of space, they can be hard to "furnish" but color can do that for you. And that way, should you want a more dramatic color, you need not have as much of it as not having that break would entail. Or you can choose a different color for the wall that runs up along the staircase and do the rest of the upper landing in that color too.

{{gwi:2136389}}

[Traditional Entry[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-entryway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_741~s_2107) by Charlotte General Contractors Grainda Builders, Inc.

IAC, the rockport gray is a very neutral color, so any color you choose will go with it. It's more of a matter of finding a color that will show the oak to its best advantage. Here, using more of a complimentary color scheme is SW's Mount Etna. I really like the blue with the oak tones.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I like the Sag Harbor and Sandy Hook.

• kthow3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your input and advice! I posted on a different site prior to here and the advice I got was to "paint the trim". that wasn't terribly helpful, since its on our radar but not feasible right now.
    I think I lean towards a color similar to sag harbor gray. Does anyone know of a similar color that's perhaps a bit warmer? Comparing the swatch to BM old Salem gray, I prefer the color of old Salem but it's too dark. I see baby turtle and Richmond gray that look appealing. I don't want it to be a true green, but rather a grey green. Thanks so much!

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

I like the Sag Harbor gray too. BM Bennington Gray is a nice gray green that I find to be warm. I don't have swatches in front of me right now so I don't really know how the two compare, but we had Bennington Grey in a northeast facing dining room with lots of natural wood and it was beautiful.

• kthow3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bennington gray looks more beige from what I can tell? I think it needs (or at least I want it to be) more of a green with gray undertones, if that makes sense.

• julieboulangerie
    9 years ago

I love Bennington Gray, I think it's a little warmer, not much from Sag Harbor. It's definitely a greige- more tan than beige than gray, but it is also a bit green. I've attached a photo that mostly captures it. iPhone made it a little pink-- it is not that way in person. The best representation is between the curtains under the window.

Please excuse the curtain "audition." They were nice against the wall, but didn't play nicely with the duvet cover. But that's another post :)

This post was edited by julieboulangerie on Mon, Jan 5, 15 at 1:54

• eastautumn
    9 years ago

Gray Mirage, Spanish Olive, Stringray, and Paris Rain are all BM green grays you could consider with your lighting, wood, etc. that I think would complement the Rockport color (Iooking at the fan deck in my lighting). The first 2 are very similar to Nantucket Gray (in the historical palette like the Rockport), but all are lighter so would give some contrast in saturation.Or if you relaly like the Old Salem but it's just too dark, you could try asking for a sample in a 75% or 50%.

Good luck! I obsess over paint colors, so can totally relate...

• kathy_ny
    9 years ago

I too am looking for a gray with a hint of green. The two that are in the running as of now are BM Gray Mirage 2142-50 and BM Horizon Gray 2141-50. Horizon Gray (while still a hint of green) doesn't appear as green to me as the Gray Mirage.

• gavavemom
    9 years ago

I recently put up a sample of BM Coastal Fog and that was a warm gray with green undertones.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

BM Baby Turtle (and that whole paint strip) is one of my favorites. It's a browny-green that you have to try out to see what it looks like in your light.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Checked out Baby Turtle after reading jlc's post. he/she's right! It's SUCH a nice color! So is "Ivy League" on the same strip.

I'll have to remember this strip, jlc.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Baby Turtle

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Ivy League (love them both!)

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I like the sag harbor best out of your choices too... I've decided on SW macadamia for our foyer/ upstairs hallways and it reminds me of the sag harbor- it's hard to tell from photos, but probably has sl more yellow undertone--- it seemed to go well with all of the shades of color in this house...

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

If the Baby Turtle is too "murky" try the Flowering Herb on the same strip. I have Baby Turtle in a bathroom and Flowering Herb in kitchen - the BT was too "dark" for my kitchen which doesn't get good light. Love that whole strip.