Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

black subway tile backsplash

patty_cakes
10 years ago

Anyone have it? Pros/cons other than maintenance? When I built almost 6 years ago I had travertine installed, but am craving something a bit more dramatic as well as interesting. My backsplash is nowhere near the size of the one pictured in height, since I have upper cabs, normal height range hood, and only about 10' length of cabs in the space(perimeter cabs). I also though the black tile would 'show out' the ivory cabinets and give them the importance they deserve.

Here is a link that might be useful: black subway tile

Comments (10)

• zen4d
    10 years ago

I like the tile as it appears in the picture, particularly the way it showcases the hood and the white shelving, and the red oven knobs seem to break up the black and white nicely. If it's not balanced properly, I don't think it would work. Having said that, I definitely could see it working in different ways: the look in this picture, an art deco look or even a very contemporary clean-cut look. I think you have to consider the rest of your home and the look you are going for. If it's just plain white cabinets and black backsplash, I wonder if it's something that would date itself quickly. Also, it is something that would have to be kept meticulously clean.

• camlan
    10 years ago

For me, the main con would be the maintenance. My house came with a black stove and black dishwasher. They both work, so it seems foolish to replace them, but . . . .

They show everything--every fingerprint, every water drip, every crumb, every grain of salt, every bit of dust--even the vertical fronts look dusty. I have never before dusted a kitchen appliance, except the top of the fridge, but these two appliances are a ton of work.

You can't just wipe them down, you have to clean them and then dry them or streaks show.

So if you go this route, I'd take samples of the tiles you are considering home with you and experiment with different cleaners to make sure you aren't going to spend half your life keeping them looking relatively clean.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! Can you post a pic of your kitchen? I have black lower cabinets in our kitchen and, yes, they are a bit more work to clean but I love them and would do it all over again.

What are your countertops? Floor? The picture you show works so well because it connects to the other elements in the room - floor, etc.

I really think it could be dramatic and beautiful and I am a big lover of black in decor, but it really depends on your kitchen.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I think the textured tile shown or a matte tile wouldn't be so much of an issue, but gloss tile would be a problem with smears or prints.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Agree to pick a matte or textured tile; otherwise, you'll be polishing your tiles for ever.
    I'm a visual person, so I'd probably tape up black paper with white chalk lines to see what it looks like. Depending on your style, a dark charcoal may work well, too.

• zen4d
    10 years ago

nosoccermom, what a great idea!

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have Black Absolute tiles left over from the foyer and propped a couple of pieces up to get a better idea. W/o the off-white grout(which I would have)it looks so solid, but I like the depth of the black vs the travertine.

I have SS appliances and Venetian Gold granite, which has black specks. Cabs are glazed ivory. There's a lot of ivory/black in the decorating of my home, with a mustardy gold being the only color. Flooring is a dark hand scraped wood. Rug in eating area and under the sink has a black background. The only 'bright spot' is the assortment of white ware on the dark stained hutch in the kitchen, and bits and pieces of it used in decorating, vases, platters, etc.

Since it's just myself, i'm not cooking every day, so don't have the need to clean the stove/backsplash as often as others may have to. When I do cook, I clean as I go, and wouldn't consider myself messy.

The thought did cross my mind when I was building, but I was living in San Diego while the house was being built in Austin. With so many decisions to make I just decided to go with what was easiest and had seen and liked. Now that i've been in the house almost 6 years it's about time I do the things I should have done, and didn't. ;)

• debbie1031
    10 years ago

Just an opinion: I like it! However, it is super taste specific, so if resale is a consideration, travertine is probably a safer bet!

• maggiemuffin360
    10 years ago

Love it! Agree with the matte finish though. We have a black fridge but it has a textured finish so it doesn't show the dust, fingerprints, etc.

• mom2sethc
    10 years ago

Hello,

I have a large format black tile for my backsplash. It is a rectified porcelain, a matte finish that looks like black suede. I have glass tile accents as well. My counter is AB polished black. I went with a matte backsplash as my counter is polished. It may not be the look for everyone, but I absolutely love it! It never fails to draw compliements from others who visit my home. I hope you can see my attachment.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County