Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catkin_gw

What Sheen Of Paint Did You Use On Your Bathroom Walls?

catkin
13 years ago

Thanks for replying!

Comments (34)

• igloochic
    13 years ago

I always use at least a semi gloss but have also used paste wax over plaster which is kind of a dull high gloss if that makes sense and I have one done in shellac in gloss. I do not like bathrooms done in flat at all.

• compumom
    13 years ago

Thanks for this timely question. My 85 y.o. mother asked the same question today. Well actually she said, "you are going to use a paint with some gloss, aren't you? Nothing else is really shiny in either bathroom, the upstairs bath has a lot of matte finish tile-- more organic. I'm unsure what to use.

What about eggshell?

• LuAnn_in_PA
    13 years ago

We use semi-gloss in our bathrooms.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I used Aura Matte for Spa and Bath in the powder room. Don't see much of a difference from the Aura Matte in the master bath. I like matte walls....everywhere!

• denali2007
    13 years ago

I just did my bath with Ben Moore's Bath and Spa paint. It looks like a flat paint on the walls.

In another bathroom I used BM Aura in an eggshell. It's not real shiny. I like the Bath and Spa better.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

in master bath, bm matte. in kids' baths, i used a behr bathroom paint which is close to semi-gloss, but not quite so shiny.

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

I've used MB Aura Matte in the past but this go round went with Pittsburgh Paint Manor Hall premium flat. Cleans up as well as Aura, doesn't burnish, is less expensive, and so far I much prefer.

• mjsee
    13 years ago

Eggshell.

• AHomeWest
    13 years ago

We use eggshell/satin (in SW Super Paint) since I can't stand the look of semi-gloss.

If you let it cure a little longer than normal, it holds up just fine and cleans easily.

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

I have always been "told" that you need to do at least semi-gloss in baths and even kitchens, but I will never do that again. I am having to learn a lot about paint, because I have spent the last four years learning to live without wallpaper. I made the mistake (for me) of using semi-gloss Baby Turle in DH's bathroom. I really, really hate the shine I see as soon as the lights are turned on.

Again, while "learning", I used BM Pearl finish in my kitchen and I really, really like that finish. From what I can understand, BM's Pearl finsih is equivalent to other paint company's Satin finish. It has more of a hard, slick finish, but still does not look too shiny, and allows me to wash kitchen splatters off the walls. In the future, I will go with the Pearl finish for all baths and kitchen. It just suits my lifestyle; others may not need that finish.

Tuesday

• Sheeisback_GW
    13 years ago

I used satin in ours.

• Sheeisback_GW
    13 years ago

I should mention I like shine and don't care for flat paint.

• liriodendron
    13 years ago

I use semi-gloss purely for practical reasons:

1)I have original plaster-on-lath walls with no insulation so I'm trying to avoid vapor migration into the wall cavity.

2) I live in a humid climate (the NE in the summer) with no A/C and I find semi-gloss walls are easier to keep free of the small spots of mildew that can appear overnight.

3) (Probably the biggest reason of all) I really like being able to wash/scrub bathroom walls with hot soapy water, or a steamer, from time to time. Only a tougher, shinier, surface can stand up to that.

L.

• compumom
    13 years ago

Great, I feel better using a satin or eggshell. The guy at SWilliams gave me the impression that I would be doing the wrong thing to use a less glossy paint for maintenance reasons. Obviously not the case.

BUT what do you mean by burnishing?

• compumom
    13 years ago

I just read the thread on burnishing. Very interesting and nothing I would thought would be a problem. Once again, thanks to the people on this forum, I'm better informed!

• dazzlemewithcolor
    13 years ago

Paint formulated for bathrooms, like the ones already mentioned. I tell them as matte as I can get it.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Eggshell or pearl gloss is what we just used in a bathroom. Just enough and it doesnt highlight the plaster imperfections of this old house.

• gigib_08
    13 years ago

I used Satin in ours. I don't like shine but wanted to be able to clean them up.

• catkin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How interesting, thanks all!

I think I'll use satin or eggshell. I'll save the semi-gloss for the trim...or is everyone using high gloss for the trim in the bathroom? LOL

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

I used the BM matte bath and spa paint in the new bathroom. The old bathroom (which suffers from the horrible plaster-like heavy texture that is really just insane amounts of drywall compound slapped on) was painted with either semi or high gloss and gosh I hate it. It looks like over beaten egg whites in there.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

We always use semigloss on the trim whether we are painting eggshell or matte paint in the room

• Faron79
    13 years ago

From a "technical only" standpoint...

The Glossier-the-better!

Glossier sheens are a smoother/tighter film, and therefore pretty much impervious to moisture penetration.
    Thank G*D there's S/G in our DD's bathroom! It's held up like a dream.
    I encourage our customers to use at least a Satin for walls.
    Eggshell can be OK, but for the long run, Satin or higher IS better. Mildewcides can be added too. M-1 makes a good one.

I DID use FPE's Eurolux Matte in my downstairs bath. It's more like an Eggshell. THIS stuff is in a different league though price-wise! Amazing paint.

Faron

• theresa2
    13 years ago

I've had BM Regal in eggshell for 6 years and it has held up beautifully in a most-used full bath that doesn't have a vent. I love Aura matte, as I've used it in other places in the house. I might use Aura next time the bath needs paint because I think matte paint is beautiful. I don't like shiny unless it's on trim and then it is always semi-gloss.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

BM Aura Matte in our guest bathroom (Bath and Spa came out right after we'd completed that room), and BM Aura Bath and Spa Matte finish in our hall bathroom and MB. Love the look--it's not shiny at all, but not dead flat either. Has almost a velvety look.

We used BM Aura Satin finish on the base molding (Bath and Spa not available in Satin, at least not earlier last year, not is Aura available in Pearl finish, which has slightly less sheen than Satin from what I've been told). Paint color is the same as the wall color, but the molding looks nicer with a hint of sheen IMO.

• catkin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone. I got Martha Stewart paint (hope that wasn't a mistake) color is Milk Pail in eggshell and will use SW Pro Classic in semi-gloss (Alabaster).

Can't wait till it's all done!

• chloeelise
    13 years ago

I just painted my bathroom using Valspar's (or was it Olympic?) Kitchen & Bath paint from Lowe's. It's a soft gloss. I can see quite a bit of shine in the finish, which bothers me.

• totallyconfused
    13 years ago

Painters used SW Duration Satin in the kitchen and baths. I wanted semi, but let them talk me out of it. It's holding up alright in the baths, but the kitchen, behind the stove, is a mess. When I repaint it will be with either a semi-gloss or a kitchen and bath paint.

Totally Confused

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Like amy and others, I use Ben Moore Aura Bath & Spa in matte. I absolutely LOVE the finish... it seems soft, and very elegant to me :) And it's held up quite a bit better than the eggshell I used in previous bathrooms, as far as showing it's age with condensation drips, etc....

• natal
    13 years ago

For walls I like eggshell. For trim it was always semi-gloss, but when we did the addition we used a satin finish on the trim and I really think I like that better than the semi-gloss.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I used BM eggshell. It's similar to SW satin.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

This bath is only a half and has no shower, so we used a Valspar (Lowe's) satin:

The hall bath we used a Valspar sand texture finish but then a clearcoat of poly.

We used BM White Heron Regal Pearl in the kitchen, and it is gorgeous!

• txcountrygal
    13 years ago

When our house was built, eggshell finished was used throughout. We recently repainted our msster bathroom and used satin.

But, my very favorite paint finish is flat - I love the warmth of it and the fact that it doesn't shine and light doesn't reflect off of it. I just can't convince DH that it's okay to use it throughout our home yet. :)

• txcountrygal
    13 years ago

Wanted to add that I used flat finish on our painted kitchen backsplash and have had no problems with maintaining it. Water splashes dry just fine with no spots and any food splashes wipe up just fine as well. Am considering repainting our master bath from satin to flat.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks