Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Looking for examples of 'rustic romantic' style

lavender_lass
12 years ago

I've been trying to name my decorating style and all I can come up with is 'rustic romantic' so I'm wondering, does anyone else like this?

I guess another way of looking at it, would be part rustic cottage and part romantic european country. I like to mix together different items, so it's not too masculine or too feminine. I don't like all cream and pastels (shabby chic) but I also don't want a lodge look.

Here is a quick example...I like this fireplace (not the wallpaper) just the fireplace...and maybe the leather chair, for the bedroom
{{gwi:1400115}}From Courtyard Garden album

And this window seat, which I think is a nice contrast, to the fireplace.
{{gwi:1400116}}From Courtyard Garden album

I also like this kitchen
{{gwi:1540177}}From Pink kitchen

With this dining area
{{gwi:1540178}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

With maybe a brick floor...
{{gwi:1540179}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Any one else have any examples of what they would think of as rustic/romantic? I don't know if these are the best examples, but I hope you get the general idea :)

Comments (14)

• Oakley
    12 years ago

It looks like french country to me.

• User
    12 years ago

The style I like is similar to what you've described, though I am not interested in the romantic part you like. I like a lot of natural elements like wood, stone, cotton fabrics and the use of colors influenced from nature; lately I'm even into more toned down neutrals. I love all the photos you posted though the daybed is my least favorite.

While my style may have a rustic feel to it, I like to think of it as more earthy. It has a feminine side but it's not romantic at all. I think the closest match to what we are both describing may be European Country

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

[LOL] I think that wall paper is interesting.

All your inspiration pics are really lovely in themselves.
    I haven't got a name for you, but it's more European/French country to me.

I know we Americans have a penchant for naming things. In my yoga world, there are a ton of people trademarking yoga into their name. After 6000 years, people will finally know what they're doing, since they've been given a name. It's always smacked of the ego we as yoga practitioners are supposed to hope to release into universal beauty.

I digress and my facetious point is to ask if you really need a name? I always wondered about that blonde design star chick that insists upon naming people's style before creating a really (usually) awful room for them. You clearly know what you like and wouldn't seem to need to qualify your own taste with a name. Have you considered "Comfortable or Elegant Eclectic"?

Boy, what a home if you can pull all those examples into one place. Stunning.

Christine

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

I don't know what it's called but the pics are beautiful- The second pic especially- wouldn't that be a wonderful place to curl up and read?

• hoosiergirl
    12 years ago

I typed in "rustic romantic decor" and did a google image search (see below). I found it interesting that one of the images was of Romantic Country magazine -- it sounds like that's a magazine you would like! I love the photos you posted above!

Here is a link that might be useful: rustic romantic decor images

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

You might want to check out Fifi O'Neill's website. She used to be the editor of Romantic Country mag, but sold it to Country Homes and now is promoting what she calls "romantic prairie" style.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabulous Fifi blog

• syllabus
    12 years ago

My first reaction to the term rustic romantic was Ralph Lauren. Picking odds and ends from his domestic lines down through the years would create a collected over time look that would cater to both males and females.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I love this house from young-gardener's blog.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

I love that style also Lavender, and think the "Rustic Romantic" label suits it quite well. While the particular pictures you posted did have a European flair, I don't think it would necessarily have to be European to fit into a Rustic Romantic feel. As Syllabus pointed out, Ralph Lauren is very much Rustic Romantic...

If you were to bear that term in mind while shopping, I thing you'd do quite well...

• Susan
    12 years ago

i think you've chosen a perfect name for the feeling you like in a room. it's also the same look i go for, and am slowly inching my way there.
    and i may well use that fireplace as a jumping off point for my bdrm fireplace design if you don;t mind!

• loribee
    12 years ago

I love this style as well!

"I love this house from young-gardener's blog." I do too, Marti! Throw in some florals here and there and I'd be quite happy to live there~~

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the responses and links! Here's another kitchen I really like :)
    {{gwi:1540180}}From Courtyard Garden album

• luckygal
    12 years ago

For more pics of this style you might google 'rustic and refined', 'casually elegant', and 'rustic chic'. I prefer a bit of patina but not much primitive or faux distressing, mostly traditional and a bit of quirkiness. It's the juxtaposition of opposing styles that I find so appealing. In the public areas of my home I use mid to darker colors which prevents an overly feminine look.

Of course there are lots of pics on houzz ["Houzz"[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/romantic-rustic-style-phbr0lbl-bl~l_78854) and more on "Pinterest". There may be a few pics on LocationWorks altho I hesitate to post them as they are CR.

Romantic style often indicates to some people frills, lace, and florals and the only place I do anything like that is in my bedroom and one of the guest rooms. Even there I don't overdo the frills and lace but use paler colors, a bit of pink, floral fabrics, and more feminine accessories. I'm not for glitter, sequins, or ribbons on everything and find some of the 'romantic' pictures one sometimes sees with that label much too cloying.

I like the pics you posted LL.

Here are a few random pics I have in my Photobucket.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Luckygal! Nice photos :)

I think you can go a little more romantic, in a sunroom, too. {{gwi:1540185}}From Kitchen plans
    {{gwi:1540186}}From Kitchen plans

Oh, and I meant to post this picture that Young-gardener showed me, on the Smaller Homes forum! {{gwi:1540187}}From Snow White album