Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carsonheim_gw

hiding the TV

carsonheim
9 years ago

I posted something in the "how's your build going" thread, but thought it might be of interest here too.

I love the convenience of a TV over the fireplace, but dislike the look. Here's what I had my trim carpenter do:

{{gwi:2132854}}

{{gwi:2132855}}

Comments (30)

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

Very nice.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Fantastic! One reason I really dislike the TV-over-the-FP thing is because it treats a TV like artwork, which it is not. I guess in old-fashioned terms, I find it "vulgar". you've actually tackled that issue! Brilliant!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Well done!

• allen456
    9 years ago

Nice, but I still despise the "television altar" so many people have in their homes.

Sure, we have a television, but it's discreetly placed on one side of the room (and it's not 3829" wide!).

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for posting this Carsonheim! We are at this exact place in our build and since my DH is the trim carpenter I need visuals to get my idea across. This is very similar to what I've been drawing up.
    Do you know what hardware you are using for the doors? Are the doors solid pieces of wood or did you inset the mirror frames into the doors?
    This is really nice - Are you planning paint or stain?

As far as the obligatory spank to those of us who put TV's over fireplaces goes - might I just say, can we be finished with the snide comments about our choices of TV's in rooms with fireplaces. This is tiresome. Some of us LIKE big TV's over fireplaces but just don't want to see it constantly.
    We are not lesser humans because of it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

missy, no one has said you are lesser humans because you like your TVs over fireplaces.

I don't see any snide remarks about it either. I see people expressing their opinions about it, which is exactly what this forum is for. Best to accept disagreeing opinions and allow people to express them.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

that looks great, but will you keep your mantel empty or just move the things on there when you open the doors to watch tv??

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I think that it's one of the most beautiful solutions I've ever seen!

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

I agree, it's a brilliant and lovely solution, Carson! Thanks for sharing it with us. I, too, don't like seeing a tv on display all the time, but like Tibbrix, I realize that this is a personal thing. To each his own. When the old tv in our family died, DH had his heart set on a huge, flat-screen one. We ended up buying a tv cabinet with a lift system to hide it in. I loved that solution, as it allowed me to hang some great artwork above the cab. Unfortunately, the motor died on the lift a couple of months ago and I've been stuck looking at that big black box 24/7 ever since. That wonderful solution of yours, Carson, is giving me some ideas for the next phase here. Thank you!
    Lynn

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I'm fine with a TV in plain sight. The only objection I have to a TV over a fireplace is the viewing height which is a little uncomfortable for many for long stretches.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

In theory I agree, Allen456 but reality says the TV is a part of our family life. At some point we decided to stop feeling bad about it and DEAL with how to make it work. I love your solution carsonheim, now my only question is how often will the doors be closed? In my house the answer would be --seldom so that would make me decide "for appearances" it isn't worth the carpentry skills.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

That's a lovely solution. Thank you for posting it.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

lovely if it works for you. Would bug the heck out of me having to open and close those doors to watch tv.

• crl_
    9 years ago

That's a gorgeous solution.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I don't mind a TV in a room, setting on a cabinet or whatever, but when it's over a beautiful fireplace, I don't get it. You have created the perfect solution! With that said, i'm simply voicing my personal opinion, not bad-mouthing anyone who has chosen such a treatment.Happy decorating. ;)

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Lovely work, but I do have a concern. When open, is it correct that the doors stay bent, as shown by the left door in the photo, rather than resting flat against the unit? If so, you will have images of what is showing on the TV reflecting in the mirrors. Personally, six mini-screens flashing around the TV would not increase viewing pleasure. YMMV :)

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I wouldn't mind opening the doors. I have to wander around to find the remote anyway! With 4 people in the house, no one ever puts it away in the same place.

I would probably have it open more than closed, but I think it's lovely either way.

Gyr, if the doors are open as shown, they will reflect what's in the room (on the side walls), not what's on the TV.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Very pretty! Are the mirrors antiqued?

I started to do a folding screen, but I wanted to be able to put accessories on the mantel. I keep the TV covered during the day and/or when DH is not home. The panels slide open - two to the left, one to the right. Our TV is only 52", and DH would love a larger one, but the niche behind the panels is not larger and we don't want to deal with sheetrock dust/mess.

I had vintage wood and tin shutter made into door for a large niche that hides the DISH equipment and DVDs.

Our room is large, so no neck strain. Neither of us mind opening, but I do the majority of the closing. lol Enjoy your new home!

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone.

The mirrors came from walmart, and I used Annie Sloan in Versaille and dark wax on top. Then gave them to trim carpenter who built the doors.

The hinges are large piano hinges. They do go pretty flat against the wall when fully open -- that photo was just to show that they open.

I don't put a ton of stuff on the mantle, so moving items to watch TV isn't a big deal. This is in the family room -- we also have a media room where we'll do the majority of TV watching. This is more like having a cup of coffee and watching the news in the morning.

We will probably use this TV maybe twice a week? We'll see how it all shakes out once we get into the new house.

• AtomicJay007
    9 years ago

I think this is a PERFECT solution for anyone who wants a TV in a location where the furniture will naturally be centered around it. If you are not a big TV watcher and are content to have a small tv off to the side of the room, great. However, many people love watching movies, sports, or whatever and want to do so in a comfortable seating position, not having to crank their necks to the side, etc. And, in a lot of today's open concept homes, the truth is there may not be any wall other than the one the fireplace is on or directly behind the living room.

From a pure design standpoint, I get it and I agree the black monstrosity above a beautiful architectural detail like the fireplace is detracting. But it allows people to use the room in the way that works for them. Design without consideration for comfort really isn't design at all.

• western_pa_luann
    9 years ago

"However, many people love watching movies, sports, or whatever and want to do so in a comfortable seating position, not having to crank their necks to the side, etc"

Yep, and the OP says she has a media room for that. This one is for "having a cup of coffee and watching the news in the morning. "

carsonheim - nicely done.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Super attractive & clever !
    Tho I also find that above the mantle position can make for uncomfortable TV viewing - depending on how high the mantle is.....

• Claire Buoyant
    9 years ago

Very, very clever. This treatment has potential for many different styles. Thank you for the post!

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

Love it! Well done.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

What a great solution! Enjoy your new home!

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

Great idea. But, seriously --- alter, vulgar (as in unsophisticated I assume?) monstrosity. Funny stuff ...

• User
    9 years ago

Missymoo, we have a television screen mounted unapologetically above the mantel, but it is in our tertiary living area downstairs. I'm not ashamed of watching movies, we just don't need it in the living room or library--- there's an iPad in every room if someone wants to watch----anything except live television, we don't have service. IMO the tv screen looks perfectly fine with some decor (modern, contemporary, transitional, etc) and not so good with other styles (country, traditional, French, etc.). I agree with you though---snark shouldn't come from people who watch tv but hide the boxðÂÂÂ.

Adding, Carsonheim, your solution is very elegant!

This post was edited by kswl on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 18:18

• Gooster
    9 years ago

@carsonheim: Thanks for sharing, your solution is lovely and creative. I've seen some standalone mirrored folding cabinets as well, but I loved seeing how you did this.

We put our tv to the side of the FP in the FR and debated whether to put folding pocket doors on them. We chose not to initially, due to budget and a debate whether or not the TV would be used too often for the doors ever to be closed. This helps envision what it would end up looking like if we ended up adding them now.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Very nice! That's the first TV cover I've seen that I liked. What I think would be cool is art the same size as the TV that goes straight up when it's turned on / comes back down when it's off. Or, hurry up and make one that has a nice picture that stays on it when the TV is off. Kind of like how words stay on a Kindle even though it's not doing anything.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I've seen a similar solution but instead of mirrors they used framed botanicals butted together to make the folding screen.

{{gwi:2136370}}

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 11:33