Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

If you could start all over again

daisychain01
9 years ago

I'm trying to cheer myself up after our fire and flood by contemplating the chance to redecorate. After over 10 years of renovating and redecorating our 100 year old house (t hadn't really had anything done to it in about 50 years before we moved in), I was happy with the results and had sort of felt it was "done" and I wouldn't be doing any major changes in the foreseeable future.

The easiest thing would be to just redo things exactly the same. However the damage is such that we could completely redo things. This means I could change colour schemes (paint, furnishings, rugs, etc.).

Because floors and ceiling have to be replaced, there is also the possibility of completely changing the layout of the house. On the main floor, we could take down the wall between the dining room and kitchen and turn it into one big kitchen family room and do away with the formal dining room all together.

On the second floor, we could expand the small main bathroom (about 6x6) into a small guest bedroom next door (6x10). We have very limited closet space and might be able to add closet space here. I had thought to move the washer and dryer up here but after the latest disaster of the pipe bursting, I am wary.

So what would you do? No changes, minor changes in colour scheme, major changes in layout, etc.

Comments (32)

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a link to a previous thread before the fire that has some pics to show a bit of the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread with pics

• jlc712
    9 years ago

So sorry you are going through this! But--it is a bit exciting to have the chance to redo everything and shop for new things. It is an opportunity to fix anything you disliked, but you certainly don't need to change everything.

Will you be able to salvage any of your antiques, doors, or moldings?

I think you could start two lists- one of what you loved (colors, furniture, room features etc) that you want to recreate, and one of things that drove you crazy. It might a good starting point for thinking about it all.

In an old home, I would think about adding storage and closets wherever you can. If moving the W/D would be more functional, I'd move it. You could put in a drain pan underneath them-- I even think they make alarms for W/D and icemakers for the event of a leak.

You should probably focus on layout decisions now, and move on to decorating once the reconstruction is underway. One step at a time!!

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jlc712, that is wonderful, logical advice. My brain is working less than logically these days and I so need rational people to steer me straight.

I will make lists.

I was actually thinking of making a positive/negative list of results of the fire to make myself feel better. I'm pretty sure that the positives will outweigh the negatives (in number if not weight).

We aren't sure about what can be saved in terms of character, but I have a feeling most of the woodwork and doors will be either fixable or replaceable.

I am so grateful I took those pics for the piano thread even tho they are less than stellar. It gives me something concrete to go back to rather than the muddle that is my brain these days.

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

Wow, I remember your piano thread just last month. So you had a fire and flood between now and then? How did it occur? Oh my! I feel for you and hope that you can weather this storm.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I can easily answer this question as I am not ever going to be "done" or have had the opportunity to make this house everything I want it to be. I would want to make my home something anyone/everyone would want. That would mean three or more bedrooms, a master bath, a laundry room that is not an adjunct to the power systems of the house,a proper entrance to the home. Right now when you come through the front door you are IN the living room. A kitchen where more than one and a half people can easily work. Looking at your old pictures your home had beautiful wood trim, I would want that back!! We have a main floor fairly open concept, for the living/dining/kitchen area. I like the openness and am not sorry it is not a TRUE great room. To get a master bathroom/master suite would mean moving it downstairs..probably not the smartest move as we age. We have a ranch style home. Bumping out one wall would enable me to expand the kitchen and have a proper master suite. We are closing in on retirement..does it make any sense to expand the kitchen NOW--the time of NEEDING the larger one is over. Yet like I said in the beginning it would be nice knowing I am leaving behind a house w/o major flaws.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I am so sorry you're having to deal with this. If it were me, I'd leave the wall between the kitchen and DR.

While it's nice to have the kitchen open so you can visit, it's also nice to have at least one room which offers privacy.

The biggest drawback from having an open floor plan is the lack of wall space, which can be used for storage (cabinets) to a buffet.

• nini804
    9 years ago

If that is your only dining space, I would open it up to the kitchen. I have seen lovely spaces on here where this type of remodel was done. I have a separate dining room, but also a breakfast room where we eat casual meals. If I didn't have the breakfast room, I would want the dining room closer and more open.

We custom built our house just 4 years ago, so I really wouldn't change much (if anything) since we basically did what you are about do (planning-wise) before we started. Maybe add some square footage to our mud room since we didn't have a dog when we built and now we do. He and his accouterments take up space I hadn't planned on! I am really sorry this happened to you...what a terrible thing. Your home was lovely before and I feel certain you will do a wonderful job making it a beautiful home again. Just focus on the "pros" list and embrace the changes you get to make!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I would change things if I had the chance. Try to keep what I loved and fixed what drove me nuts. More bathroom and closet space would be first on my list.

I did open my kitchen up in an older home (60-70 years old). It's now open to the dining room with a bit of visual separation and a peninsula. I much prefer it this way as before I felt very isolated in the kitchen. Your preferences/mileage may vary.

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. I've never suffered through a fire but it seems so devastating.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We had a candle fire on the 3rd floor that gutted much of that space. The water from the fire hoses ruined the floors, walls/ceilings/furnishings in the front half of the house all the way down to the basement. About 2 weeks later, we went to check on the progress (they were still emptying the house of contents before beginning restoration) and found a pipe had burst on the 3rd floor sending a flood of water down the previously unharmed back half of the house.

It's funny, I always thought I would make some major changes if I could (won the lottery, inherited a fortune), but now that I am actually faced with that ability, I'm leaning towards minor changes (maybe brighter fabrics for the living room, a coloured rug instead of natural jute, a new chandelier) rather than major overhauls.

Our house actually functions quite well as is, but Arcy, I can see that making major changes to your home would increase its functionality immensely. If that were the case for me, I'd probably do it too.

I think changing the bathroom would improve functionality most for us. My kids were 5 and 10 when we redid the bathroom originally. Now they are five years older and our needs are much different (2 sinks would be awesome).

We actually do have an eat in area in the kitchen (for four, five in a pinch). There is a house down the street from us that was reno'd a few years ago. They took down the wall between the kitchen and dining room, made the back wall of the house all kitchen then a large island running parallel to that wall. In front of the island towards the living room end they have a dining table parallel to the island. It would work great for parities, but oakley is right in that it is nice to have a bit of privacy. My DH and I use the dining table as office space on a daily basis and it would be much harder to do that with it open.

So much to think about! I find it very interesting and helpful to my thought processes to hear what others would do.

• roarah
    9 years ago

I think with a 100 year old home I would leave the kitchen and dining room separate, especially with an eat in kitchen. I would borrow space from a guest room for larger bath and closets in a heartbeat. I think you may have to change some decor items just because the previous choices may no longer be available so try and have fun with that process and even consider hiring help if you are understandably overwhelmed.

I am so sorry for your loss and even though no one was injured the damaged you have incurred is a huge tragedy. Allow your self to grieve for your old house and heal a little bit before making huge changes and decisions.

• roarah
    9 years ago

I think with a 100 year old home I would leave the kitchen and dining room separate, especially with an eat in kitchen. I would borrow space from a guest room for larger bath and closets in a heartbeat. I think you may have to change some decor items just because the previous choices may no longer be available so try and have fun with that process and even consider hiring help if you are understandably overwhelmed.

I am so sorry for your loss and even though no one was injured the damaged you have incurred is a huge tragedy. Allow your self to grieve for your old house and heal a little bit before making huge changes and decisions.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I too would take the opportunity to make changes that would improve functionality for your family. I'd definitely look at the larger bathroom and added closet upstairs. As for putting the washer/dryer upstairs I wouldn't do it especially if you have a front loader. Those things really vibrate a lot and do much better on a concrete surface or downstairs at least where you won't be bothered by the noise.

Is there another area where you and your husband could set up an office area? I know you probably enjoy doing your work while being part of family activity. Just a thought, that if you do open up the kitchen, you could create a work space somehow as well as keep room for the piano and a dining room table.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Oh yes, do rethink absolutely everything. Not that you will necessarily make all the changes, but now is the time to try on all the possibilities of what could be changed and how it might work. What could be improved? What did you like best and most want to salvage? What did you hate most and would most like to change? Try not to think of just your family now, but also in a few years as your needs will be changing then too. Build with your future in mind. I can't imagine any better way to make the most of your loss than by rebuilding even better. Be the phoenix rising from the ashes!

As far as the wall between the dr and kitchen, I prefer to have a wall as I'm not comfortable with guests seeing the mess after cooking...when we're dining, I want them thinking about the meal, not the aftermath. If you use it as a study too, then you probably want to keep the wall. But YMMV.

Now's the time to think about the piano too...and any other furniture/tv locations you may want to address.

It's also a great time to think about in-wall items that you didn't have before...maybe speakers, accent lighting, other wiring needs...

As far as the laundry, we put a pan under the washer with a water bug so if it leaks, it leaks into the pan and down the drain...and if it get wet, the alarm lets us know. So I don't really worry about it.

Adding closet space is a fabulous idea, bathroom alterations would be perfect.

Ask everyone in the family what they would want if they had a wish list for the house...you might be surprised with what they come up with too.

I see this as a wonderful opportunity...embrace it.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Add a space for the piano!

This is such a shame, and I imagine dealing with the insurance will give you the most headaches. Are they treating it as two separate claims? Will you have to keep records as to what you are restoring due to fire versus flood?Years ago someone related a tale of a fire in their home, and their insurance would cover only what was damaged by the fire, NOT what was damaged by the water used to extinguish it! He said that from a financial standpoint at least, they'd have been better off letting the house burn down altogether.

List the things you loved in the house, like the woodwork and old feel, and the things that were bothersome, like where to grade papers and put the piano and "if only we had an outlet right there" and "why does this switch work the outlet right next to it, not the outlet across the room?"

And alarm systems.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

There's comfort in the way things were, the way you could move through the house blindfolded and know where everything was. Treasured memories.

Thankfully you and your family are intact. Your house will be on its same plot and you know from which directions the sun rises and sets. You know your neighborhood. You aren't moving away.

I am cozy and comfortable in my little house. It abounds with memories. Mostly I'm grateful for having a roof over my head. I like a lot of things about my house, but there are plenty of things I would change if given an opportunity, like an extra window in my living room.

What options are possible to you? The entire layout of the interior of your house? Who is responsible for the structural design? Does your insurance pay for an architect?

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Good heavens Daisychain, what time do the locusts arrive?

I imagine your insurance will cover a restoration back to the original but any changes, knocking out walls for instance, will be on your dime so keep that in mind. My sister had a kitchen fire in 1996. She was out of her house for 4 months, the insurance was very generous with what they covered, thankfully, but she did have to pay for a few changes she chose to make.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Everyone has made great points. A definite yes to bigger closets since most older homes have such small closets compared to today (although they don't have to be McMansion walk ins that are bigger than the bedroom!).

One thing that I like about old homes like yours is that a lot of them had wide openings with pocket doors. This to me is the perfect compromise between separate rooms and open concept. Open when there is a gathering, closed when someone wants to watch the big game or a movie and someone else wants to be banging around in the kitchen.

This is a horrible, stressful time for you but also a wonderful opportunity to change what bugged you before. Are you working with an architect as opposed to only the contractor who will do the rebuild? It might be $ well spent in order to flush out your ideas and end up with an interior you
    are happy with.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

((Daisy)) Oh my! I have been there. In 2005 we had pipes burst in our little farmhouse over the holidays. Water ruined EVERYTHING. All radiaters ruined plus our heaing system. Insurance paid very little. They came in and used electric space heaters and said since the walls were plaster they could be dried and kept as is. The kitchen cabinets could be dried and kept as is etc. HUGE issue with the insurance company.
    To your point - We chose to gut the house and completely redo. We bit the bullet and took it to the studs and put in new windows, insulation, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, drywall, trim, flooring, cabinetry. This was crucial due to mold that developed which insurance refused to address. We also added an 800 SF addition for the kitchen and new MBR/bath and an upstairs laundry. The upstairs laundry was the BEST thing I've ever done. We have the drain pan and a front loader ( which I hate) but am doing another upstairs laundry in the new house.
    My advise is do what you can to improve your house since you have the ability to do it now. I would worry less about décor and more about what might be ruined behind the walls.
    Our insurance company was a joke and the cleanup company was also. We are seasoned DIY and couldn't believe what they were willing to pass off as totally fine and not address.
    I hope your insurance company covers adequately for you.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I was going to say pretty much the same thing JLC did about making pro and con lists and work from there. I doubt there is such a thing as a perfect home because as time goes by our needs change therefore what was once perfect is no longer the case. With that in mind, I'd say since the house functioned well for you for the most part, I would make only minor changes unless they have to do with function, such as bathrooms and closets. I must add, that having an upstairs laundry room is wonderful!

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are really at the beginning of the project, but fingers x'd our insurance company has been very good. Also, my DH made sure we were very well insured so I think that is helping.

While we don't have unlimited funds, we are willing to take on some extra costs if we decide to make bigger changes. The main thing is that everything is out of the house and floors will be replaced, so if we are thinking of moving walls, etc. now is the time.

We've already decided to fix the wood burning fireplace. We've never had a fire in it because we were told it wasn't safe when we moved in 15 years ago. We will probably replace some windows that were put in in 70s.

Our policy covers upgrades to electrical and insulation required by city codes.

We are hoping mould will be kept to a minimum. They have industrial strength dehumidifiers running on each floor, the house is relatively cool and our climate is dry as toast and cold as heck right now.

I bought a new front loader washing machine a few years ago and hate it. I think I will take this opportunity to get a new one even though it wasn't damaged in either incident. Still on the fence about moving them upstairs. The condo we are in has washer and dryer just a few feet from my bedroom and I love it. The downside is that I line dry most things and there is not much space to hang things upstairs.

I will definitely be redoing closet space and looking at that closely. That may be a big challenge - sort of a big puzzle trying to figure it out. I should get a pro to help out with that.

Whew! What a lot of good advice. I am starting to see a plan emerging.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Wow, how quickly things can change! Best wishes to you and your family as you navigate this difficult time.

We moved our laundry upstairs and really appreciate it. A sink, a folding counter and a permanent ironing station. If this is your forever home, you may want to consider aging in place. We also combined our DR and Kitchen in a 75 year old home, but had another area (formal LR) to relocate the formal DR function. And we were not using the formal DR as is...

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

As someone who has a smaller home, I would love to have a real laundry room, bigger bathrooms--we only have 1.5 so 2 full or even just a shower would be great, plus more closet space. We have a single floor plan which I like. I would not want laundry upstairs if I did not have to do it.

I like the idea of pocket doors to keep rooms separate but ability to open up.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

There are 2 1919 bungalows on my block of 1919-1920 homes that were recently purchased by flippers. In both cases, a full second story was added to the home. In both cases, all first floor interior walls were removed and the open floor plan is in full force. Both homes have fairly standard pine wood trim in the interiors - somewhat skinny. Looking in the windows is easy now as neither is on the market yet.

Both homes look like carp. Where there used to be 2 homes with character, now there are 2 homes that you could find in any suburban subdivision.

I encourage you to seriously consider the fact that you own an old home with character. You don't own a 2 yr old custom build. Much of your home's character is due to the original layout and finishings. We did work to our home to update the 1919 kitchen and add closets, but our end result looks like it was always in this house. We ended up with rooms that have the original 1919 doors (along with 1 more that we purchased at a salvage store).

Only you and your family know how you live and your needs. I encourage you to speak with an architect or designer, someone who works with old homes. Bounce ideas around, but don't forget the basic house. It will appreciate a thoughtful rebuild.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

so sorry you're going through this. I like jlc's advice of making two lists of what you love and what you didn't. I think I would mostly keep my footprint and use similar materials, but change some things slightly.

For example, I love my walnut stained, wide plank pink flooring. However, if I had to do it over again I might still use a rustic wide plank floor but go with a slightly lighter stain (easier upkeep) and harder wood because although the pine is gorgeous, the softness drives DH a bit crazy with all the dents from my high heels :-).

Another example is how I love the antique white trim and lots of millwork throughout my house, so I'd do that again and stay with creamy white, but might go a shade or two lighter on the color so it's a bit brighter and allows more flexibility in choosing paint colors. That sort of thing.

I would want to duplicate a lot of my furnishings, or at least get some that are similar for those that are vintage/antique.

• awm03
    9 years ago

I like jmc's idea of working with an architect, if you can afford it. I'd think you'll become overwhelmed at some point or at least run into decision fatigue, dealing with your future home and the make-shift life you lead now. An architect or designer would help take some of the decision & planning pressure off your shoulders. And we're here to help with ideas & choosing too. Best wishes to you, daisychain. Please do keep in touch with your GW support group here.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Daisy, you might be wise to draw up a floor plan as it was when the fire happened and work from that. I would think you'd need a professional to help if you remove or move any walls, but just having a visual with dimensions could help you decide what you might want to change.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Hi daisychain, Was faced with the same decision. I also had a house fire, requiring the entire house to be gutted to the studs. Almost everything replaced: siding, roof, windows, floors, elec, plumbing, HVAC.

I made several changes, most were as a result of bringing stairs into code (had a narrow, steep, winding staircase).

Would recommend to think hard about making changes. It is tempting to change things, just because you can. If I had to do it over again, I would probably just change the 2-3 things that always bothered me and leave everything else alone. JMHO.

Good luck, my experience has been a nightmare. Hope yours is better.

This post was edited by mdln on Sun, Jan 11, 15 at 0:25

• melsouth
    9 years ago

Daisychain,

We went through the nightmare of a house fire a few years ago.
    Ours was a total loss - most everything was burned to the ground; what was left was black and wet.
    I don't know how many times we reminded ourselves that, while we lost so many things, they Were just Things.

Still, it has been hard to start completely over.
    I think I still have post-traumatic stress, and the occasional flashback.
    I wish you patience and strength. And more patience.
    It will get better.
    This too shall pass.

• steph2000
    9 years ago

I'm really sorry to hear about the fire and the added nightmare of the burst pipes. I have never gone through something like this but it seems like a hard time to make decisions - and yet a ton of decisions are required, I assume, pretty immediately.

Try to be kind to yourself and allow room for regrets and mistakes.

I just looked at the pics with the piano (how sad that it happened right after that baby came home?) and your home looks like you had really gotten it in a beautiful place that was working for your family. I have no doubt you will do it again, whether you choose to go back to what you loved or make changes or both.

You are in my thoughts. I hope you have a particularly fabulous 2015. Along with the others here who are going through fires, literally and figuratively. I can only imagine how fun it is to coordinate with the insurance companies on top of contractors...

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

melsouth and mdlm, I can't tell you how many times during these last few weeks that I've been stopped in my tracks by the thought of the whole house burning to the ground and losing much more than we did. My heart goes out to you. There really isn't anything to do but carry on, is there?

melsouth, I know exactly what you mean about the PTSD. I've found it hard to remember people's names and feel like I'm walking in a fog. Before this, I felt pretty invincible. Now every time we leave the house, I feel like something is going to happen - car accident, whatever. Just don't feel safe. I really hope your insurance made good for you and things are going as well as they can.

I will take the advice to be judicious in our decisions and get professional help. I tend to take the safe route and not make major leaps, so chances are that things will remain pretty much the same. Maintaining the character of the home is extremely important to us and it sounds like the insurance company is planning on factoring that into the cost of the restoration.

I am seriously considering expanding that bathroom into our guest room. It wouldn't be a huge change to floor plans or anything and the plumbing already runs through that room. We rarely use the room (it just had a twin bed) and have a large finished basement with a powder room that guests can use in a pinch.

Thanks again everyone for your support and suggestions. I really started this thread as a whim, but it has been so helpful to get your thoughts and advice.

• LeeMiller
    9 years ago

I would (and am) knocking down the wall between my kitchen and dining room. The dining room already opens to a large living room and has a sight line into our patio (my house is a 1950s ranch home). The way we as a family hang out I'd prefer to have the kitchen area more open. As for parities, people seem to hang out in the kitchen as well, so I think this will be a good change. It won't be completely open, but open enough to allow better flow and light for us.

Taller ceilings would be on my list, along with baseboards, new doors, trim and closet/storage changes. Maybe larger bathrooms & larger windows.

I'm sorry you're going through this. It sounds very stressful.

• mboston_gw
    9 years ago

Everyone has made some good points. I would say, do what you can to make your life easier when its all done. If you can find some work place for your hubs and yourself, do that. Adding closet space and bathroom area sounds like something you would really benefit from.

You might take into consideration the fact that your children are growing up and what that might mean for the future. I know they aren't going to be out of the house in the next couple of years but what will you and hubs do with the space when they are out of the house, at least in college? That might influence some of your decisions, esp if this is the last time you plan on major renovations and if you plan on staying in the house long term.

Just a thought. Good luck and I hope you find a sense of peace soon.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz