Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staircase Eye Candy Blowout!

Posted by oceanna (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 07 at 23:09

Just for fun, here are some pics I've saved of really eyecatching staircases you might enjoy. See anything you like?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staircase Eye Candy Blowout!

Those are great!

Laurie

o

Loved the shoe drawer! Mighty clever - and perhaps a tad dangerous, too. Those were fun.

o

There are some beautiful and visually arresting staircases here, oceanna. And what's interesting is the variety of ways in which they've been made compelling--i.e., complicated mosaics, simple stencils, thought-provoking life philosophies share word-by-word on each riser, or simply, choices of carpet.

Whether or not you took these pics, you should think of putting together a book or calender and submitting it to a publisher. You know: "Windows of Nantucket" or "Doorways of London"--you've seen those, haven't you?

You obviously are drawn to staircases and you have an eye for them. There's not one there that was boring. And certainly the idea of staircase has as much symbolic cultural import as a window or a doorway.

Thanks. A great thread, just for decorating ideas, too!

o

What a GREAT collection of ideas and eye candy!!

Many many thanks for sharing with all of us!!! :)

o
Maggie

Thanks, but I didn't take those photos and have no idea where those staircases are. However, if someone wanted to travel all over the country and tax deduct their trip, your idea would be just brilliant for them!

As a lifelong artist (and you must already know we're nutz), I just like to collect ideas for decorating in files on my computer. I have tons of pic under all sorts of headings (bedrooms, baths, artwork, bird houses, ceilings, clocks, mirrors, curtains, floors, painted furniture, faux painting, murals, theaters, wreaths, painted teeshirts,, kids rooms, kitchens, lampshades, laundry rooms...and on and on) that I've saved over time from who knows where.

Anyway, I've been thinking about what to do with my horrid life-sucking carpet and that involves my staircase, so I've been thinking about stairs, and also how to make my entry better. I did something there but I don't think I like it.

I'm particularly enchanted with inlaid carved carpets -- and have pictured some here. They can be tacky but some of them are the epitomy of elegance. I've long wanted to try that -- but doubt my arthritic hands are up to two staircases worth. I'm thinking about it, though. I've researched how to DIY the inlay, but I'm not so sure about the carving. I'm not going to invest $6K in a machine that does that. I'm wondering if a sheep sheerer would handle it... I'm pretty sure my dog clippers won't. But if I can sculpt a Wheaten Terrier for the show ring, then why can't I carve carpets, I figure? It's not brain surgery. I look at the carpet runners in the hardware store and they can be ok but they look so... ordinary.

Anyway, I thought you'd all enjoy these. Maybe I should have put them in the Gallery?

Let me ask you all something -- are carpeted stairs safer in terms of falling than non-carpeted? I think if I did fall I'd rather fall on carpet.

o
Teacats

You're welcome! Are you a DIY person like me?

Can you even imagine what it would take to mosaic a staircase like that? I'll bet they did it on boards and then glued the boards on the risers.

I absolutely love the tree mural one. I also love the stark simplicity of the white staircase with the saying on it. Those inlaid carpet staircases are something I'd expect to see in only the most posh of millionaires' homes... and can you even imagine white carpets on a staircase for the average family and pets? Yikes. But they sure are breathtaking and the possibilities are only limited by the imagination.

o
Oofasis

I looked for them again on the web and the stairs are by Unicraft Joinery, Hamilton, Victoria in Australia. I read that they don't have a web site. But I would think a clever carpenter (or DH) here could do something similar.

It would be a super way to store lots of shoes, wouldn't it? But you'd need a map of what you put where. It's a genius idea for what is normally wasted space in our houses, as long as some safety concerns were addressed. It looks like only the bottom two steps are drawers in that picture.

o

oceanna--The safety question, I'm not sure about. The most potentially tragic tumbles I ever took were on carpeted stairs. There was one incident that still makes me stop breathing when I think of it. But I can't blame the carpeting for these mishaps; it's usually my own absentmindedness...or exuberant doggies ;-).

I, too, collect pics like that in my hard-drive and hard-copy folders, and my two largest categories are "painted furniture" and "millwork". I deconstruct the pics to come up with my "plan 'o action". Probably never the methods and sequence that professionals would use, but a good product in the end, and more durable than many things I've seen available in the accessible marketplace.

Not sure how much the arthritis limits you, but with an artist's eye, experience and commitment to detail, your thought that the inlay would be achievable, yet safer than the carving, sounds right, IMO. I should think one would have to be judicious about the manufactured quality of the carpet s/he chooses to carve.

I agree not only about the hardware store stock, but also those one would encounter from much more expensive specialty stores. With many items, there's something to be said for the saw, "They don't make things like they used to", and probably so with carved carpets. Because I don't know exactly that many of them today are actually handcarved. Which is why what you might do could be infinitely nicer, whatever your experience.

I built a serious Georgian fireplace surround and mantelpiece for my den. I didn't have any carpentry experience. I had my FIL's hammer, a junior birdman jigsaw, a rusty little handsaw that I think was intended for pruning young branches, a couple of scraps of sandpaper, and a bottle of Elmer's wood glue.

I'm sure if a master carpeter examined it, he'd say, "Well, you should have done this, and that I would have done this way." But...if I do say so myself...and I'm going to, to strike a blow for determined womanhood...it's beautiful, appropriately detailed to the period, but not overly so...more substantial than the cliched, mass-produced treatments I see general contractors and lumberyards hawking...it's staying put, despite the heat of the fireplace's constant use and the house's humidity...it looks like it was meant to be with that fireplace...and, because I used lumber left over from building the house and only had to purchase some decorative molding, it cost me some research, about $25.00 and an afternoon to build it, and another evening to paint it.

So I say to you re your dreams of inlaid carved carpet, tally ho! As for the arthritis, I think it depends on whether it affects your hand-strength. In my case, beginning to be acquainted with the aches and pains of...er...maturity...means at this point that, where I may have completed a project once in an twelve-hour cram, I now have to make peace with the idea of working on something two hours a day for a week.

o
Maggie

You're not in the Seattle area are you? I think you and I could be best friends!

Please please start a thread with a bunch of your painted furniture pictures and I promise I'll add mine. Should the thread go onto the decorative painting board? Also, please share any you have done, if any. I did a rocking chair so far is all.

I have been snooping the custom carpet sites where master artisans do their work. The carpet grade is just fabulous, very thick no doubt. I don't know where to buy it. Further, I think it's somewhere near impossible to buy only very small amounts of carpet. I was thinking of doing a 2x3 entry hall carpet. I stopped in a few carpet stores and basically figured out I can't get there from here. What they have is huge remnants and the quality isn't what we're seeing in the pics above. I need to make friends with a carpet layer and beg his scraps.

One of the most beautiful rooms I ever saw was in a Street of Dreams home. There was divine oak panelling all over the walls, an oak staircase descending into the room with brass fittings, and an oak floor. The carpet set about 1' in from the wall. The outer band was a gorgeous green, not quite hunter but a little more vibrant. A foot inside of that was a band of cream carpet about a foot wide. The center was the green. Very simple, but stunningly elegant so that it stuck in my memory.

I hate my fireplace. I would love to see what you've done to yours. Please post a picture! We should start another thread on fireplaces, huh? Part of what I hate about mine is I love the antique or traditional look (I drool over those quarter sawn tiger oak jobbies with the columns) but this beast is elevated, with an aggregate hearth sticking out into the room. I have painted it, fauxed it, and it's still just way too modern. It has a brick arch on it... well, let's have that thread and get your ideas please.

I agree with you totally -- I reupholstered my couch and chair and they lasted for about 30 years. I always knew that a professional would have scowled at my work, but who cares? I enjoyed the results as did my family. If we have to do perfectly we'd never get anything done, and the truth is many of the pros would also come to a standstill. So yes, go for it. Damn the torpedos, as they used to say.

The arthritis affects my thumb and grip strength. Heavy use of my hands leaves me hurting too much to sleep. So I pace myself, just as you say you do. Doesn't matter if we're the not the hare; the tortoise still gets there. So I'm sure I could do an entry hall carpet. I'm not so sure about the stairs though. Seems to me that's not a project one can leave half-finished for a week. I wish I had a huge workshop where I could work on things like that... make the runner, then maybe pay a professional installer to make sure it's fastened well? Staircases are a bad place to not do quality work no doubt.

Stick around, Maggie girl and please post copious amounts of photos. I want to pick your brain and you're welcome to pick mine.

o

WOW!
Thanks!

o

Okay - usually I'm just too lazy to log in but I had to for this. Those are awesome! I especially like the clever use of drawers in the stairs! Never seen THAT before!

The other Laurie

o

The fourth one down I have exactly in my home! I love my wood staircase, it looks so warm and comfy. I have to remind the kids though not to go running down it in only their socks!

o
Alicate

Alicate, you have the fourth one down? The inlaid wood one? Cool! Maybe you can tell us -- how the heck is that made? It's gorgeous! I've never seen anything like that. Got a picture of yours to share with us? I'd love to see a closeup too. I'll bet it's even prettier in person. Is it slippery?

o
Karezz & The Other Laurie

Karezz you're welcome! I figured there was enough inspiration there for everyone here regardless of their means or skills. I hope you found some you want to save in your files. :-)

Laurie I'm glad you came out of hiding. Think of all the stuff we could store in drawers if we had them under each step. Wow, huh?

The raspberry colored one just takes my breath away. Can you even imagine the measuring and precision that went into making that, and all the cutting? Woof. And on a curve, no less. I would just LOVE to have something like that on my staircases. My entry would no longer be boring. Now I'm trying to imagine how the edges were bound, as nothing is visible. Can any of you guess?

I think the seagrass one with the red fabric edges would be relatively easy to do on a sewing machine. But I've read that the natural grasses tend to stretch out and that could be problematic on a staircase, so you might need professional installation.

The stencil ones wouldn't be that hard. I like the one with the black outlined "waves" on it too.

I can see how they did the tree one and it wouldn't be all that bad if you made it on a separate board, cut it up and glued the pieces on the risers. I think it's awesome.

Attempting mosaics like that would drive one to drink, I think, but I'd love to do a simpler version of that up my cement front steps. I've been thinking about doing something out there. Just not sure what yet.

So do any of you see anything you'd like to try?

o

Thank you - we over at the mosaics and stained glass forum are enjoying the staircases.

o
More pretties

More...

o
One more

o
This is different

o

oceanna, livestock clippers are heavy, and the blades cost three times as much as regular pet grooming clippers. If you have a set of A5 clippers like Oster, try the #40 blade. They make a regular sized one and an extra narrow to groom Poodle feet. I know that the regular A5 clippers will cut lanolin coated wool right off the sheep with a #10, so they shouldn't have any problem with a clean carpet. The #40 is also called a surgical blade, and can cut so close and smooth it looks like you've used a razor. Just get a couple pieces of carpet samples to practice on first. Use the most dense pile you can find, trace the design with your finger or the end of a pencil to part the fibers, and have fun.

I'd love to see one of your Wheatens sometime; I'm a big terrier fan myself. :^)

o

Gorgeous staircases. Have you seen pictures of the staircase in the new Longchamp store in New York? And incredible piece of work. Wish I had a picture, but it was in the news recently when they first opened.

I love the mosaic stair cases, hummmm wonder if I could do that in my house?

sky

o
Littledog

Thanks so much! I have an Andis and my closest surgical blade is a #30. Have you tried this? You sound like you have. It looks like very dense carpet. I need to meet an installer who will give me some scraps, I think. The remnants in the carpet store are too big, and most aren't thick.

I bred and showed for 14 years, but now I only have two left and they're old. I will miss them terribly when they go. Their daddy was a one in a million for temperament and he threw it. I have three others... a Hav, a Havatzu, and a baby Goldendoodle. And 4 parrots. Now you know I'm crazy. hehe

What kind do you have?

o
Sky

No I haven't seen them. What are they like?

Why not go for it? Do you think they lie on their tummies on the staircases to build those things? Seems to me that for inside it might be easier to build the risers on boards and then install them. I'm wondering what to do with my front porch steps. They're boring concrete, and there's a concrete walk too. I'm wondering about paint, or stain, or tile, or...? Got ideas?

Where is the staircase in your house you're eying? Is it a wood staircase now, or carpeted?

I hate my carpet, which also covers the stairs. I'd love to rip it out but I dunno if I want more carpet with dogs. I'm sure that underneath they're plywood with plaster and paint drips encrusting them, and tack strips to be removed. I just wonder where to go from there?

o
Mosaicwench

Oh I'm so glad you folks found this!

Now can you answer the question as to how the indoors mosaics were probably done? How about the outside ones...I'm thinking they had to be done in place? Do they look like a horrid amount of work? I'd love to hear what you have to say about them.

o

Those are truly breathtaking! Thank you so much for posting these pics! I'd love to know where some of those are ... I'd visit them in person if possible!
:-)

o

I've played around with it, yes. I made doormats for Christmas gifts one year; it worked okay, but I wasn't happy with painting the different colors. Maybe if I'd used some kind of dye or stain I could have gotten a more translucent color that didn't leave the fibers so stiff. I could have used coir mats and got the same effect at at lot less cost, had to pay extra for the samples I used as they were top of the line to get that dense pile. I didn't think to ask for remnants - duh. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have also sprayed them with some kind of stain resistant goop, but hey, they were just doormats.

What kind do you have?
Heh heh, what kind haven't I had? The population fluctuates, we're always taking in strays, abandoned litters and such, and fostering rescues both purebred and mixed. Right now we have a pair of Komondor, 4 Anatolian Shepherds, a Schnauzer mix I tell people is a Generic Terrier, Wirehair variety, 2 Australian Cattle Dog mixes, and a smooth mixed breed Terrier that is AKA Generic Terrier, Smooth Coat variety. ;^) We're also currently fostering a litter of 8 terrier (JRT/schnauzer?) mix puppies. So that brings us to 18 total, as of today.

Tinky, one of the foster pups.

o

oceanna--I enjoyed your last post to me so much and will answer after I get a little bit of my Thanksgiving Day work (i.e., cooking and slaving away) done. It will make a nice coffee break to anticipate as I tote my weary housewifey load here. ;-)

Btw, the staircase painted with the lemons...posted this a.m....have you noticed the optical illusion if you scroll while that pic's on the screen? Wild. For some reason, it works with that more than others.

Tinky--I think I'm in love with you. Seriously, my little sweet-eyed, fuzzy-pawed dumpling. Smoochies from Auntie Maggie.

o

oceanna, in case you're really considering the mosaic stairs, I'm guessing that what they did was to do them on mesh first (or possibly on sticky paper and then sticky papered on front, grouted, and mounted the back--for maximum flatness of surface) and then mount them with thinset or some other glue.

o
Longchamp stairs

Hi Oceanna, I've got carpeted stairs that I think I'd like to change to maple at some point. I'm planning to sell this house in a few years so I want to keep things neutral - however my next place will be hopefully my forever house where I will do something exciting like the mosaics on the stairs leading to the front door - I think that would make a nice statement.

The link is to the Longchamps stairs - they are an incredible work of art, not something anyone would do in their house.

"To celebrate Longchamp's 100th store, the company paired with British architect Thomas Heatherwick to create this visionary space. A swooping, honey-brown 55-ton magnetic steel staircase leads to the second-floor's main showroom, where sections of wood ceiling bend down to the floor to shelve exquisite handbags "

Here is a link that might be useful: Longchamp stairs

o

What fantastic stairs! I love the mosaics, but would certainly settle for the cool tree mural. I'm tearing out my cruddy carpet for sure!
Thanks for sharing!
Amy

o
Auntjen

You're welcome! Thanks for appreciating the work that went into posting all those pics. I would love to see these in person too. I'd love to chat with their creators and learn exactly how every one of them was done.

Some time soon would you folks like a thread like this on the inlaid and carved carpets?

o
Littledog

Bless your sweet heart for taking in all those strays. I think you should be renamed "Lotsadogs." Eighteen? Woof! Are they all living in your house? I'll bet the burglars skirt a wide path around your place. hehe

I feel crazy enough having five now, although when I was breeding (only a litter every couple of years or so) I had more at times. But we get used to multiples, don't we? You must have a very DH. Do you sometimes envy those with only one dog, even just for a minute?

Tinky is just adorable!

I only tried to paint a rug once and gave up after a small test patch. The carpets pictured in this page are inlaid, which I absolutely love. It gives a different appearance than just weaving a carpet with different colors, especially when the edges are carved. I did pick up some very plush carpeting once at Boeing Surplus, scraps from some luxury airplane. It was hard as could be to cut it. I ended up making dog crate pads out of it. I never bound the edges and it never frayed or unraveled, even when I sent it though the washer.

Anyway, there is some tricky precision cutting involved in all those custom carpets. I read an article that said their machine that does the cutting cost about $6K and likewise for their carving equipment. For those who don't know how those fancy florals and similar were made, each different color is a piece of a different wall-to-wall type carpet. There are "V" shaped grooves cut where the carpet changes colors, and many of the pieces are also carved for dimension. The different pieces are bonded together on the back with a tape that is melted into the carpet backing. They do sell an iron-on type tape, and some artists just use duct tape. I think I recall seeing something about this a couple of times on HGTV. Wish I'd recorded it. I can post more about that when I do a carved inlaid carpet thread, if anyone is interested.

Since you tried this, was it hard? Did you have to go real slow? Or did your #40 zip right through it? Did you have trouble making it look even? Where did you find smaller amounts of very plush carpeting? I don't even want to handle a whole room size for making a 2x3 test rug, and wouldn't want to landfill or store the leftovers.

o
Running out of titles hehe

Maggie what a sweet note! I did notice that about the lemons staircase. I wondered if anyone else did. I don't know why it does that but it's werid. It's a great looking staircase!

I'm looking forward to your reply. :-)

Flyleft thanks so much. You can tell I'm not a mosaic artist! What you said makes good sense. I just couldn't see someone gluing up all those pieces while laying across an uncomfy staircase so I figured it had to be something like that. It's always much better to work in a comfortable place. Do you do mosaics? If yes, can you show us pics? Would you dare attempt a staircase? Even a little one?

o
Amy

I'm with you on the cruddy carpet, but you do know what to expect to find under it, don't you? I expect ugly plywood, tacking strips that will leave holes when we remove them, and plenty of paint and plaster drips. Where do we go from there? What's your idea?

I think I know how the tree mural was done, after thinking about it some more. Many murals are done on primed artist canvas. So it would make sense to pencil the outline of the risers, then paint the mural as one whole piece (that explains why it flows so beautifully), then cut the canvas into pieces and apply it to the risers.

*** I think this is the third time I've asked everyone this -- are properly installed carpeted stairs safer than bare wood stairs? This is a big concern to me. Does anyone know? ***

o
Oceanna

Oceanna, when I was building, the only information I could find was that carpeted stairs were safer than bare wood if you fell on them. So I foolishly had the stairs carpeted and I hate them and I suspect it will be expensive to change them to maple to match the floors. I should have followed my initial gut feeling to go with wood. Next place, if we have stairs will be wood.

Sky

o

That was fun, thanks for compiling and posting all of those. My favorites were 1) the wooden staircase with the black Moroccan type wave paintings on the risers, the white cutout swedish-y looking ones before that, and the great drawers in the steps ones.

o
Sky & Jenny

Sky thanks. Have you gotten a price quote to change the stairs over to maple? I have no idea what it would cost but I'll bet it's not cheap.

Jenny, you're welcome. I loved that Moroccan one especially too. I don't even have a railing -- I have a stupid half-wall. The up side is I don't have to dust and paint spindles, though, so I guess I should be happy. But yeah, that one was especially pretty. It reminds me of the "Homes Across America" where the man had actually moulded his stair rails... well they weren't exactly rails. Did anyone else see that show?

o

Oceanna, no I haven't gotten any quotes, nor do I have any idea what it would cost. My style of house is not one where I could stain or paint the wood that is under the carpet - I did see the stairs before the carpet was laid and the wood looked decent. If I had a country style or very traditional home I'd try painting the treads a dark brown or black and the risers white or cream. You could then stencil or do something fun on the risers like in some of your pictures. That would be a very cheap and doable option for some people.

o
Skypathway

I just did some research on getting carpet off stairs and retreading them with hardwood. I'll put a link here and you can read how it's done if you're curious. The link has other live links in it that tell more.

I love DIY, not just because it saves money, but because it gives us independence, and immense control over both timing and quality. It's also often fun and a source of both new skills and pride in accomplishment.

I remember seeing on HGTV a *floor* where the woman had done the torn brown craft paper idea with several coats of polyurethane. The couple loved it and it looked like a rich brown stone -- at least on the TV. We would have to do a trial of it to know if we liked it, but if it looked good it would be a cheap, easy and unique solution we could easily do ourselves. Gotta' love that. Right now it's just a thought to kick around. I'd definitely do a sample board first. It might also be interesting to see if it could be done with different papers, maybe mimicking marble or granite? A good art store has lots of different papers. Anything that can be put on one surface can probably be put on another, including paint, decoupage, mosaics, tile, etc.

Carpet is gorgeous when it's new, but it wears quickly on stairs and it's a pain to keep looking clean and good. Hardwood stairs are a piece of cake to maintain in comparison.

I loved your idea of painting the treads black. What if you did that and then installed a small tile on a sheet backing on the risers? That might be strikingly pretty. I love mixed media. You can let your head go on mixed media... like can you imagine glossy rosewood stairs with a narrow brass ribbon inlay reminiscent of some of the stunning high end art deco work? Ooolala.

Did you happen to see Joan Joan Steffan yesterday? Barbara Scalati did stained glass on a kitchen cabinet door. Stained glass would be breathtaking on the risers -- but I suppose someone would kick it and break it.

I've seen staircauses faux painted to look exactly like marble, but one would have to be very skilled to pull that off.

Another thought would be small tiles on a sheet backing for both the stair treads and risers. Or maybe stones on a sheet backing? Hmmm... I wonder if that would be slippery.

For stairs going down into a dark basement in an old house you might be able to get away with a lot, especially if it's just a temporary solution for a couple of years -- like just staining the existing wood, knots and all. But for stairs instantly visible from the entry in many homes it can be a very critical decision. Test pieces are definitely in order, I'm thinking... as well as a few phone calls for estimates from carpenters. The flooring at the top of the stairs also has to tie in with or coordinate with the stairs.

One thing to keep in mind... if we paint and then polyurethane we'll need 2-3 protective coats, and poly takes 24-48 hours to cure. That's time when nobody can use the stairs. Also, if we change the stairs to hardwood, do we need to change the railing too?

Well anyway, I'm brainstorming it and I love to think out of the box. I'm so glad you're brainstorming it too. Maybe we can help one another come up with something good. The thing is when we think outside the box we need to be very careful, as we can come out with something either stunning or tacky. There is often a fine line between the two.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to replace carpet with hardwood on stairs

o
Bump for answers

Bump for answers

o

What an amazing collection of stairs, Oceanna! Thanks for posting them. I've got an ugly set over here that need work, and see a few of my favorites in your collection and some other ideas I've been toying with -- so it's nice to see some real life examples!

Thanks for sharing them :)

These threads will get deleted -- so if the Gallery side doesn't, maybe it would be good to post over there, with a link from this side?? (Some of us forget it's there and why and never go over to the Gallery side!, lol).

o
Deleted? :-(

Can the moderators move a thread? I would hate to have to go through all that uploading and pasting again for these pictures... but yes I agree it would be good in the gallery. I have no idea who the moderators even are here, do you?

Also, I noticed we have the option to "clip this post." Does that mean we can go back and look at it indefinitely?

o

There's a 'Contact Us' menu at the bottom of the page. Try the technical and customer service ones. They should be able to move it for you if they're not too busy with other stuff.

The clips will save a particular post within a thread. Not sure about the pics though. They seem to last indefinitely, as mine is still full!

o

Gosh, I've been thinking about tearing out the carpet from my stairs for about a year now and painting or something until I can afford to replace them with hardwood.

I haven't done it yet because I figured the edges of the steps themselves would be squared off and not rounded like normal treads. Anyone know about this? It's about a mid-70s construction.

My carpeting is just disgusting but I'm scared to look underneath.

Oh, also, to the person above (sorry, don't remember who) who was concerned about not having access to upstairs while poly dried, what if you just did every other stair so you could still take giant steps to get up and down until it dried?

o

Oh goodness, the carpet thing; I'm sorry, I must not have been clear, I didn't use different colors of carpet, I used my clippers to "carve" designs on the pile of one small piece of beige carpet (Conviently sized around 2 X 2.5 ft, or so, and the edges were bound) and then I painted the different areas. That's why I wasn't happy with how stiff the finished pieces were. But for the record, the #40 went through the fibers like a hot knife through butter. I use a spray called "P.B.Blaster" to lubricate the blades, so every few minutes I would stop and spray the blades, then wipe the oily residue and continue. If could come up with away to dye the fibers rather than paint them, I would do them again this year, they project went fast,they weren't really too expensive to make, (even using good carpet samples), and I know they saw lots of use.

...I think you should be renamed "Lotsadogs."
LOL More like "LotsaSucker"; I've been rehoming strays for um, 30 years, (Did I say that?) but this new place is a dog magnet. We live 1/2 mile from any neighbor, and there's a perfect blind turnaround just past our house. So, dogs gets dumped, previous owner turns around and drives back up the hill, dog chases after them, P.O. steps on the gas, leaving the dog (or in some cases, entire littters of puppies) standing in the dust, usually right in front of our driveway. I firmly believe that "a dog starved at the gate predicts the ruin of the estate", so my rule is that as long as they dont' chase or kill anything, I will feed them. Since I obviously can't keep them all, almost every dog here is subject to being rehomed, if we find a good match for it. (Just sent a dog to Missouri yesterday) DH is pretty good natured about the dogs, but then, he doesn't have to actually do anything with them; they're my "hobby". As long as they're not chewing extension cords or pulling clothes off the line, if they aren't psychotic "barkers", (One reason why alot of people get rid of a dog is that endless bark, bark, bark), as far as he's concerned they're invisible.

P.S.
Maggie, if you're interested, Tinky has a cute little sister... VBG

o

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT all. Thanks, I will save this!

o
Squirrel & Pugga

Thanks, Squirrel. I'll try to contact them. :-)

Pugga, I've got the same fear about what's under my stairs. Great idea about painting every other stair! I saw something the other night at a neighbor's house I might try. He had put a runner down right on top of his carpeted stairs. He'd stapled it under the lips of the treads, and had anchored it at the bottom of each step with a stained piece of quarter round wood nailed through. It looked very attractive! Plus he said it's saved his carpet. I'm thinking I might do that here. It would solve the problem of being able to get rid of the carpet up top and still leave it on the stairs.

o
I knew I had more

I was organizing some of my picture files and ran across a few more... hope you're not overloaded...

These lead to the home theater...

o
Glass?

How about cantilevered glass?

o
Oh, look at this great idea!

I would love to have this...

o
I found more

1. Someone pasted anaglypta on the front of these risers

o

More for your enjoyment...

o

Thank you for this! We have two flights of bare hardwood stairs and I hate the noise, but DH is averse to putting down carpet and covering the lovely wood. The decorations on the risers, especially the stencils and anaglypta, are great ideas - maybe he'll fall for one of them and I'll give up the idea of noise muffling in favor of stylishness.

I think this is the third time I've asked everyone this -- are properly installed carpeted stairs safer than bare wood stairs? This is a big concern to me. Does anyone know?
Don't know if the poster is still reading this thread, but...I've always assumed it depends on whether you wear shoes in the house. We go barefoot or wear thin rubber-soled slippers and I feel most comfortable with carpet or a runner on the stairs. If you wear hard-soled shoes, I'd think you'd get a better grip and less chance of slipping with bare wood treads.

o

You're welcome, Zeebee! It's nice to know this thread is inspiring folks. I hope you find an answer that both you and your DH will enjoy.

I still want to know about the safety thing. I would assume if you run around in socks carpeted stairs are safer. But I'd love to see some statistics. I don't know if anyone keeps any.

o

I will never look at stairs the same way again.

o

glass stairs

o
RE: Staircase Eye Candy Blowout!!!

Thanks, Jan. Those are great!

Yeah, who knew there was so much decorating opportunity in a staircase, eh?

o

and a few more...

o

bump

o

o

A few more...

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

o

Here are some more lovely staircases...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

o

Wow! Didn't know you could do so much with a staircase!

We have a 100 year old farmhouse with original wood treads and white painted risers. I would love to paint or stencil a verse or saying on them. Any ideas? I'm all about family/legacy/heritage type themes and old fashioned feel. Please help me figure out something cool!

Thanks,
Terry

o

Wallpaper risers anyone?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Or, just use some left over paint:
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Bodica, thanks, those are gorgeous!

Daisy, thanks, but I can't see any of yours. :(

The next installment...

o

I love the bookcase stairs, but the alternating width of the steps makes me REALLY nervous.

I know how to do the continuous designs - if they are painted, you lay them out on a long strip of canvas, paint it, slice it and glue it on like wallpaper.

If tiled, they are usually glued (mirror imaged) onto thin paper, then embedded in a mortar bed.

o

Lazy, those uneven steps make me feel like I'd fall, too. You are right on how to do the mural uprights. Not sure what your last sentence describes.

o

Just delicious....

o

I saw someone's stair case once, I think it was here. They had painted it yellow and had painted "roses" on the right and left of (I think) carpet treads. It was so cute. In fact, I was looking for it when I came upon this thread. Anyone know of the one I mean.

o

Begoniagirl, thanks! Glad you enjoyed.
October17, sorry, don't know that one.

o

Here are a few more for your enjoyment:

o

bump

o

bump

o
RE: Staircase Eye Candy Blowout! bump

bump

o
RE: Staircase Eye Candy Blowout! bump2

bump

o

Thanks for the bumps, Emagineer dear!

A few more:

o

And a few more...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here