Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abonelady

Window Covering for Patio Doors

bonelady
19 years ago

I have a patio door in my dining room from which I just removed the old vertical blinds. What covering do you use? My door is not centered and the opening side is just a few inches from the wall, with 6 or 7 feet of wall on the other side.

I have a cat who loves to sit by the door so cat hair is an issue with fabric.

Comments (15)

• redbazel
    19 years ago

This is a hard one for many. I have used drapes attached to clip rings so I can slide them back and forth easily, but with a fabric-inclined cat, that may not work so well. What else have you looked at? You might try doing a Google search. I found this. http://www.northernblinds.com/patiodoors.htm

And, perhaps you might post this on the regular discussion page so more will see it--I rarely look over here at Gallery.

• joyce_6333
    19 years ago

Has anyone tried those sliding panels. I love the look, they appear to let in some light, and it looks like they stack. I've never seen them in person, just on the web.

Here is a link that might be useful: sliding panels

• User
    19 years ago

Joyce 6333 I have not seen them in person either -but yesterday I posted on the discussion part about this becuase I got a catlogue from American Blinds that showed panel tracks which I have heard of but somehow the picture was very clear. It looks like a more updated vertical blind kind of a mixture of vertical blind and curtain. I have verticals but I hate them ... but I have a dog who hangs out there and we need to be able to access the patio door.

• onvacation
    19 years ago

Hi Bonelady...I have an 8' patio slider that I struggled with for months. My bulldog loves to sit in the sun, so I needed something to open and close easily for privacy vs. doggy sunbathing. Also, it is a frequently used slider in the summer, so I needed it to function easily. This is what I got: lined panels with pinch pleats - to bring the pinch pleat look up to date, I had them made with S Hooks and put them on large espresso colored wood rings - all hung on a thick wood rods.

here is a (sorry, fuzzy) picture (with bulldog in foreground!!):

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1537954}}

• User
    19 years ago

My bassett loves to lay in the sun in front of our slider and watch the squirrels and birds outside. I have what sounds like the same wall configuration you have--about 7 inches on the right (door opens from right to left) and a lot of wall space on the left.

These are thermal lined drapes from JC Penny that I've had up for years. They don't hold dog hair and they're not fussy. Years of kids dirty hands on them and dust coming in and out the screen--they still look good.

They're on a traverse rod that I pulled the cord out of (kids tangled it long ago) so I just pull them open and closed now.
    {{gwi:1537955}}

• cassma
    19 years ago

I am contemplating changing MY vertical blinds to tab top drapes for my sliding glass door. I was wondering if it's a pain on the side that you go in and out of. Does it block the opening any? I like the look!

• User
    19 years ago

The drapes push completely off the door area to the right. I had a little math to do to figure that out when placing the rod. If you don't have enough room to completely clear the door area, consider a tie back on the right side.

• maggie5il
    19 years ago

I love those sliders! There was a discussion on this topic yesterday? I couldn't find one. Thanks.

• Carrie Herz
    19 years ago

Has anyone seen those new sliding panels for sliding glass doors? Beautiful, clean lines and very modern. Check out Smith and Noble's web page. Smith and Noble calls them "Panel Track." Found them one other place, JC Penney (in solar shade and bamboo)---much better price! Only problem is that my doors are too long- 98". Penney's only makes up to 84". Please tell me if you have found these panels elsewhere. I am disappointed that I can't get the Penney's ones. My house is a casual, South Florida, tropical decor. Any other ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith and Noble Panel Track

• User
    19 years ago

Mytwodaughters-- check out the AMerican Blinds (Decoratetoday)- as they have the panels as well and their prices are generally really good. They also frequently have generous price promotions. First Select Blinds and then
    GO to the side bar and select "American Brand Panel Track"

Here is a link that might be useful: American Blinds website

• deekav
    18 years ago

mytwodaughters....Check out your Lowe's store, they have them there and you can actually see and touch them.

• yoyodyne
    15 years ago

Stay away from Smith and Noble. Stay far, far away.

I ordered 6 shades. I paid Smith and Noble to come measure. When the shades arrived, 5 of the 6 were about 1/4 to 1/2 inch too wide for the windows. I asked to return the shades to get my money back. Turns out their "satisfaction guarantee pledge" means that they won't give you your money back, no matter what.

They insist on coming back to re-measure, but a) I can't take time off from work again for this, and b) why would I want to run the risk of further screw ups and hassle?

Their customer service staff come across as Soviet-style bureaucrats. Evidently, Smith and Noble could care less about disappointing their customers and engendering ill will.

I guess my next steps are to file complaints with the BBB and my state's attorney general, as well as dispute the original charge with my credit card company. I'll probably send the shades back to the company's president for good measure.

Keep in mind that Smith and Noble's "partner sites" (i.e. sister companies) include Ballard Designs, Grandin Road, Garnet Hill, TravelSmith, Frontgate, and others. You can rest assured that I won't be giving any of them my business in the future either.

• VIRTIE1127_HOTMAIL_COM
    15 years ago

I just bought new Kirsch "S" Curve vertical blinds for my my 71 inch wide master bedroom sliders. I went through JC Penney and gave them a 71 inch width. I hung the first one last night and am so upset. When I come out of the master bathroom, I can see outside and whoever is outside can see right in. In other words the person at JC Penney, didn't add on the 4 inches minimum overlap that is recommended. I don't know what recourse I have or what can be done about it. Upset!!! Upset!!! Over 450.00 down the tubes. Upset!!

• Jason Young
    14 years ago

Stay away. Stay far, far away from believing anything posted by user "yoyodyne". This person registered on October 20, 2008 and proceeded to post the exact same copy-and-paste response about Smith and Noble on no fewer than six different discussion threads. Something's fishy. Sounds like a Smith and Noble competitor to me...

• sunflowers1000
    13 years ago

We ordered Bali panel tracks for our sliding patio door. They cost a lot more than the alternatives we considered but we thought they would look really great. Boy, were we disappointed! The panels didn't hang straight, so that panels overlapped each other at various angles, and two panels actually had an angled gap between them. You could straighten them out, but after the next time they were opened they closed crooked again. Also, at least one of the panels had the fabric applied crookedly. So, we had 2 kinds of crooked. Fortunately, Home Depot refunded our money. We'll find another solution for these patio doors.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!