Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erykah0708

Show your living/family room

erykah0708
18 years ago

I'm curious to see everyone's living/family room. Post a pic! :)

Comments (69)

• mrsmarv
    18 years ago

Here's ours...the room isn't big enough to take a "full" picture without backing out the front door. This shows about 1/2 of it.

{{gwi:1537852}}

• Boopadaboo
    18 years ago

Katalina - Love your room and those white chairs. Are they slipcovered? Did you buy them that way?

Angc - Love your room. What color are you thinking of for the walls?

You all are an inspiration as noted above. I have to get going!

• mailynn
    18 years ago

Mrs.Mary

Love the colour of your walls. may I ask what paint color?

Linda

• mrsmarv
    18 years ago

Linda-It's Behr's "Beeswax"...it's not on any of their current paint chips/cards, but it is still in their paint computers. The closest paint chip that Home Depot currently carries is called "Winter Wheat". You can take a look at that and it will give you an idea of whether you like it once you see it in person. The color is like a very deep and layered natural beeswax candle...the name makes sense LOL.

• happyintexas
    18 years ago

Lovely rooms everyone. Very inspiring!

But I ask you...where is the lived in clutter? Where are the stacks of magazines, piles of books, clusters of empty shoes? I won't even mention the occasional Pringle's can and coffee cups. LOL!
    Y'all's places look like dreams come true....I'm inspired to clean out a few corners----after Christmas. :)

Thanks to all for sharing.

Happy

• rosemint
    18 years ago

Diana,

Is that an room-size area rug? Do you know what brand it is and where you found it? Your room is gorgeous.

Jacquelynn

• cattknap
    18 years ago

Wow - I am so very impressed by all these gorgeous rooms - they look like something out of a magazine for Heaven's sake.

• pauline13
    18 years ago

I'm really interested in what makes Amy's room work so well. Here she has a blue chair, red sofa and green walls. The room has turned out very well, but what is making it work? I guess what I'm asking for is a lesson in color.

• dlfrun66
    18 years ago

jacquelyn..

Thanks, no it is not an area rug. It is carpet. It looks like a rug because we have hardwoods on either side of the rooms. (In the entry and Hall and through the french doors, in the new kitchen/family room.)

Diana

• happycthulhu
    18 years ago

Here's my wifes work.
    She is actually starting to get paid because of her inate talent for decore.
    Very proud of her.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inside pics

• sassymnmom
    18 years ago

This is my family room, the formal living room is a playroom for now.

• binsb
    18 years ago

Here's our living room (somewhat de-cluttered). I want to add some live plants in January to give the room a little life.

I've got to hunt down family room pics.

AmySRQ - I love your color choices!

All the rooms look so inviting!

• redbazel
    18 years ago

I want to comment on several homes but have to make dinner. So I will just ask Happy (who posted his wife's decorating choices) what colors she used in each room? I love each and every color choice. She did a beautiful job.

Binsb. It's hard to imagine your rooms looking nicer than they do. I usually love color, but your creams (or ivory?) are just a great backdrop to your furniture.

• dgmarie
    18 years ago

We've jsut moved in so don't laugh.
    I don't have a living room, just a great room (needing a great deal of help!)
    {{gwi:1537857}}

{{gwi:1537858}}

• dixiedo
    18 years ago

Here is our family room: (this pic was taken in 2002 and many accessories and what not have been changed out since to better fit the scale of the room)

{{gwi:1537859}}

Here is our living room:

• elizabeth_b
    18 years ago

Here's mine...The fabric is hanging over the rod while I decide whether or not it is going to become window treatments. I'm leaning towards yes, but before I take a scissors to the fabric I want to be sure. The small wooden CD/DVD holder you see in the picture of the screen is going to be replaced with a bombe/serpentine chest as soon as I find one I like.

{{gwi:1537861}}{{gwi:1537862}}

{{gwi:1537862}}

• mistybear11
    18 years ago

Beautiful rooms everyone! So light and airy and cozy.

Here is mine. On the dark side. I need to take some new everyday pictures. These are taken just after I tidied and just before company arrived for the Christmas holidays.
    {{gwi:1537863}}
    (Must also make a note to get rid of bear).
    {{gwi:1537864}}
    This one looks like everything is cock-eyed. Have to take this one over.

• dgmarie
    18 years ago

wow! That is a lot of purple! Is the whole house in this color? I think it is cool.

• amysrq
    18 years ago

The green I used on the walls is BM Sherwood Green and a match made by Ellen Kennon after the french doors were added. Thanks for the compliments, to those who offered them up! My look is not for everyone, but we are happy with it.

As to why it "works" I am not really sure. The one thing consistent is the use of clear colors. There are virtually no earth tones...unless you count apple green! (pillows) Everything is a slightly off version of primaries. And I think the strongest feature in our home is the artwork. In this room particularly, it seems to pull everything together.

Things in my house are contstantly moving around...accessories, paintings, furniture. This is the first room where we seem to have reached an equilibrium. It has seen many iterations and I think the key to success is a willingness to keep tweaking.

• Alice Johannen
    18 years ago

Here are both my living and family rooms. We desperately need art on the walls and a new TV stand, but I'm happy with the coziness factor in the family room. Living room could be cozier, and when it is, I'm sure we'll hang out there more.

Living Room:

Family Room pictures linked below

Here is a link that might be useful: Family Room Pics

• paupauco
    18 years ago

Binsb,
    Could I please ask you where you go that beautiful bench? It looks like something that would fit our home perfectly (or at least my taste :O) )

Thanks!

• binsb
    18 years ago

Paupauco - I bought that bench at a company called Timeless Teak in San Diego County. I bought this at their Solano Beach location. It's made in India of sheesham wood.

Here's a better pic of it:

If you're looking for comfort, this bench is not it. I'm more of a lounging on my couch type of gal, but it fit the look I was going for and I do like it well enough. Plus, the cushions do help.

Hope that helps!

• catluvr
    18 years ago

Here's a pic of my family room (and friend). Just moved in mid-Oct so forgive the hodgepodge chachki (still trying to work out the details). Forgive the DEMONKITTYFROMHELL eyes on #3

Coming in from the hall:

In the dining room looking thru the kitchen:

{{gwi:1537870}}

DEMONKITTYFROMHELL

• paupauco
    18 years ago

Thanks BinsB!

It really is a beautiful bench. It's a design similar to something I've always had my eye on. I'm still searching :)

• bldgisforthebirds
    18 years ago

paupauco did you see this one from pier one?

{{gwi:1537872}}

• mistybear11
    18 years ago

dgmarie: I haven't checked in till now. Thanks, yes my house is pretty much in those shades. I am a little obsessed over the colour.
    Rather than trying to explain here is a link if would like to see more of the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: more purple

• skivino
    18 years ago

Still haven't been able to post inline but at least I can link!
    Here's our FR. Can't remember the actual wall color, but pretty sure it's a BM in a sagey green color. I just bought the rug and had asked a question if it's too small, but even if it is I'm keeping it, because the colors are perfect and I love it. Also the price was soo good.

Here is a link that might be useful: our FR

• momcat2000
    18 years ago

binsb, horray for old houses!

• lizh
    18 years ago

These are "Before" shots of great room, since we are planning a reno. We were going to custom build so this house got ignored a bit :-) Will look much better with wood floors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Room 'Before'

• blythes
    18 years ago

Hmmm. Let's see if I can get this to work.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1537836}}

• erykah0708
    Original Author
    17 years ago

BUMP! WE NEED MORE PICS :)

• laurenk88_pa
    17 years ago

It's pretty basic, but i love it.

• Kathleen McGuire
    17 years ago

Here's mine:

• jakabedy
    17 years ago

Here is the "pretty" end of the living room, not to be confused with the "TV" end of the living room, a glimpse of which can be had in the mirror. Obviously, I still have a lot of accessorizing to do. Having a mirror over the mantle that is bigger than my car is a challenge, to say the least.

• secondhandrose2
    17 years ago

It used to look like this:

But I have moved some accessories around. The fireplace looks like this now:

• chalifax
    17 years ago

My living room. No house I have ever lived in has been big enough for a family room also. Living/family... it's all the same to me.

P.S. I'm still auditioning the painting above the fireplace. The mugs holding it in place will *probably* be replaced ;)

• chalifax
    17 years ago

Joann, while some of the posters probably live in homes as tidy and un-cluttered as their photos (at least, my MIL can), I think most of us have probably really cleaned, staged and de-cluttered before photographing.

When I take photos, there's a big stack of stuff lying on my kitchen table/floor, just waiting to head back to it's home. I would love for my LR to look good all the time.. but I'm just not that dedicated a housekeeper.

• ranchreno
    17 years ago

Here's our Living Room...

And still-in-progress Family Room...The picture with the red couches is more current, but the others show the room better. If I ever get window treatments, I'll update the red couch photos.

• perky_2
    17 years ago

bump great thread

• Marcia Thornley
    17 years ago

Here is where we spend most of our time.

• colleencc
    17 years ago

laurenk88_pa - I have those curtains in my family room!

kmcg85 - drooling over your ceiling and built ins!

• black-thumb
    17 years ago

Heres mine

• perky_2
    16 years ago

Nice thread, I would love to see more...

• sedeno77
    16 years ago

Living Room:

FR:

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Wow Yvette, your LR is gorgeous! Your FR looks cozy and inviting. I love the credenza on which your TV sits.

Everyone's rooms are so pretty! I hope folks will keep posting here.

• perky_2
    16 years ago

Yvette, thanks for sharing your bautiful rooms! Wow.

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

Wow, This thread was from 2005...
    Here is our living room after we re-upholstered the
    wing back chair (the chair I picked up at Goodwill)
    We made the curios about 3 or 4 years ago.

close-up of the chair, we made the foot stool using the cut down legs from my Mothers coffee table from the 1950's
    I made the pillows and the Spanish dancer tapestry I won on ebay.

the antique folder has been in our family forever...4 generations of children were rocked it it starting in 1908.
    I got the bunny tapestry from ebay
    The end table, is also an antique from my hubby's family.
    I love antique tables and this one is a chess table.

The other chair we recently re-upholstered in chocolate valor. When I bought this chair it was covered in chocolate fabric and I always loved it but after 30 + years it needed redoing, so I covered in in gold valor. Since I really missed the chocolate color we re-did it again. This time we eliminated the skirt and made a hard tufted back.
    The antique table also from Hubby's family, and is my favorite antique in our house.

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

Oops..meant to say folding rocker not folder.
    Here's a better photo of it.

• liz1977
    16 years ago

Wow! These are all stunning....I'm so depressed!!!!!!!

• love-my-lilhome
    16 years ago

Beautiful! Such talent !

Joann, I have 4 chairs, 3 ottomans and a sofa to be covered.
    Wish you were here ! Lol

Linda

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz