Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ggschmerl

Living Room re-do

ggschmerl
17 years ago

Hello. I'm a lurker on this forum and decided to share a project I just completed.

Background: I had to have a new roof put on my house recently, due to some of the old roof problems, moisture was getting in around my chimney and the paint on my living room celing around where the chimney is was starting to pop off the walls literally. Layers of paint was falling off the ceiling and it looked horrible. After the new roof got put in, I knew I'd have to re-paint the ceiling, so while I was at it why not repaint the entire room? Photos of before, during and after are below.

For my birthday my boyfriend wanted to buy me a new sofa. he thought I'd like leather because I have 2 weiner dogs and they are always on the couch. Easier to keep clean he said. I agreed. So now I have a completely new looking living room. It took me 5 weeks to decide on a color. I really like what I finally chose. I was shooting for the terra cotta family. I also might mention that before I had also had horrible stained unly cream carpet in this room. My house had hardwood floors underneath it all, so I ripped the carpet out and re-did the wood floors myself. They turned out so great. I'm really happy with them.

The new furnitire that was delivered yesterday has an issue. The ottoman is a different color than the sofa. I'm having them fix that problem for sure.

Also I plan to have a lady I know make me some custom pretty throw pillows for the room and sofa. I'm thinking green's maybe.

Thanks for looking.

Mindy

LR before anythng was done

Another view

During

After paint/floors - before new furnniture

Another view

After new furniture

Another view after new furniture

Comments (12)

• karenforroses
    17 years ago

Beautiful! The terra cotta paint is awesome. Your floors are so beautiful! Everything is awesome - what a great job. You must be so proud!

• ggschmerl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Karen. How are you? I visited your rose gardens a couple years ago. Don't know if you remember me or not.

I'm inserting a couple more pictures of the completed room, to see other angles. One is of the fireplace area, which I scrubbed good to get all the soot off the stone. The other is a corner fountain area that leads into the dining room.

Mindy

• kathypass
    17 years ago

I love that color! The floors look great - and kudos for doing it yourself! It looks very warm and inviting.

• CaroleOH
    17 years ago

What a pretty paint color. I like how you arranged you paintings over the mantle. Also love the area rug, pulls all the colors together so nice.

Looks wonderful! Congrats.

• hibiscus53
    17 years ago

Beautiful transformation of your room. Lovely colors, it all looks so updated and inviting.

• redbazel
    17 years ago

Your house is lovely. I hope your doxies like their new leather. Mine like the contrast of their sofa, in a deep olive corderoy. I keep wanting new throw pillows but my dogs just kick them off, so what's the point??

Red

• karenforroses
    17 years ago

Mindy, I DO remember your visiting my rose garden! Are you still in southern Michigan? I can't get over how lovely your living room re-do is. You really did an awesome job. Do come an visit the garden again next time you're up North. I'd love to see you again. We have a new brick walkway in the middle rose bed now - Kurt put it in when a neighbor boy asked if he and his bride could be married in our garden. Now we get to enjoy it all the time!

• yborgal
    17 years ago

What an inviting room you've created! Love the wall color!

• patricianat
    17 years ago

Your room is very pretty and I love the color. It is perfect for your sofa.

• bonniee818
    17 years ago

Love your redo! Great furniture & paint color......everything is perfect!

bonnie

• judithva
    17 years ago

Everything came out very nice, I adore your floors (I need new ones, so I love looking at everyone else's for ideas)

• sharon_fl
    13 years ago

Mindy..love, love, love your room-especially the wall color! I've been looking for a shade of terra cotta for a section of my LR. What is the name of your wall color?