Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midwestmom_gw

children's rooms

midwestmom
18 years ago

I'd love to see pictures of everyone's decorated children's rooms. I already know how I'm going to do my 3 year old dd's room in our new house. But my 7 year old ds is the one I'm stumped on. He loves the color green. So I'm thinking some shade of green paint. He also has a blue jean quilt that my great aunt made him that we love. I'd love some suggestions. And some pictures!!

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    18 years ago

Hi midwestmom~

Here are a few pix. I came across these on another forum and she was kind enough to email them to me so I could share them with others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Denise W. Boy's Rooms

• rosebooker
    18 years ago

Hi! I have painted quite a few kids rooms for friends and I always use the website painteroffun.com to buy my kits from. They send you a whole kit of transparencies that you can put on a projector and project the images on your walls, (I always use a charcoal pencil bacause the paint covers over it better). Then you go back and paint everything in as if you were coloring in a coloring book. Try to do some shading to make it appear more realistic. It is really easy and fun. You will amaze yourself with what you can do! Go on their website and check out their pics, they have a lot of different themes to choose from and alot of great pics of finished rooms. I did under the sea in a small bathroom and it turned out awesome too, the fish on the walls really stood out. You can outline your work with a black paint pen (from Michael's), and it gives it a finished look. Good luck with whatever you decide!

• Barbara Olson
    18 years ago

This was done as a kid's room for when my neices and nephews spend the night and a guest room for out of town guests. The wall above the wainscot was always intended to be painted a soft yellow, but we didn't get around to it and then ended up selling the house... The pink carpet was there when we bought it, so I was trying to work with that.

{{gwi:1537414}}

I used a Bob the Builder book that my nephew had and projected the images onto the wall and painted similar to what Rosebooker is describing. He has lifesize figures figures on his wall and shows everyone his room even three years later. He's 5 now... You could do something similar with something your son likes. If you aren't a terrific freehand painter, pick cartoonish type characters because they are easier. I hid my nephews name in the swirls I put on the bushes... Our secret! Doing something like that is fun as well. I'll see if I can find some pics tonight when I go home.

• lisalm
    18 years ago

Here are some pictures of the room we did for my 4 1/2 year-old son. He loves music, so we picked a music theme. The mural is based on a children's book called "The Penguin Quartet" (about 4 penguins who leave the North Pole to play jazz in NY". My husband transcribed a Miles Davis tune for the wall border. The guitar bedding (from Garnet Hill) was the inspiration for the room and the color scheme. We still need a twin bed (can't find anything we love), and I'd like to have a lamp made out of a trumpet for the dresser.

Here is a link that might be useful: Music-themed preschooler room

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    18 years ago

Lisa ~ that is just plain cool! You guys did a great job! Thanks for letting us have a peek.

• faith2k1
    18 years ago

Hi, here are two rooms I did for my son (Nemo and Dr. Seuss. He is only 18 months so these are ideas are elementary. But here are a few pics anyway. Or you can go to the links to see more. I used a projector.

{{gwi:1537415}}

{{gwi:1537416}}

{{gwi:1537417}}

{{gwi:1537418}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. seuss

• skivino
    18 years ago

My children's rooms are no where near as nice as the one's already shown, but they love them! The girls wanted the pink/blue stripes with the diamonds. But after painting one wall with stripes and diamonds, I said I'd be nauseaus everytime I walked in if all the walls were like that!LOL
    My son at the time of painting his room (both rooms were done 3 1/2 years ago) wanted to be a Marine biologist and wanted an under water theme. The fish are simply wallies, I can't paint more than a stick figure so I had to resort to them. I purposely took off the closet doors to add the fish curtains. The teal color is really quite beautiful, even though it is intense. I still love the color after 3+ years.

Here is a link that might be useful: my children's rooms

• nadine33
    18 years ago

Just finished doing my daughters room. She is 15 months and we have #2 coming in about 2 months. THey will share a room. We don't know the sex of the second baby so I wanted to keep it rather neutral.
    Here's the before pic....

Here's the after pic...not completely done yet as I still have to adda ccessories and window treatments. I"ll try to post again after they're done.

Closeup of border:

• nsf798
    17 years ago

Here's my daughter's completed room.

• katiescarlettrose
    17 years ago

Hi Midwest and all~
    My son's room is still an ongoing process, he's 13 months. I like vintage stuff so it takes a while to find the right items.

Mid what does the denim quilt look like? We did my son's room in a cowboy theme.. with a bit of Americana thrown in. I found great denim curtains at Walmart.
    Here's a link,
    (this is my first time posting here, hope this works!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cowboy room

• beths96
    17 years ago

Here is my DD's room. She is 18 months old. I took down the netting around the crib after a few months, but it looked pretty for a while, anyway!

The paint color is Ben. Moore "Lemonade."

{{gwi:1537425}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Nursery photos

• pattyt
    17 years ago

WOW

your rooms all look great!!!
    last ngiht dh said - the painters are coming into the new construction next week - you have til tomorrow afternoon to pick colors!!

I have NOTHING else as a starting point - it will be new fabrics, new beds, etc...

so thanks for sharing your pictures for good insiration for me today!

• superlady
    16 years ago

Very pretty rooms. I especially like the Nemo Themed Bathroom.

• citymomof3
    16 years ago

Here is children's bathroom...

• citymomof3
    16 years ago

My 4 yr old's room...

• citymomof3
    16 years ago

My baby's room/guest room...

{{gwi:1536883}}

• citymomof3
    16 years ago

This is my 6 yr old son's room...

• brittney2323
    16 years ago

I'm very happy with my 5 year olds room. I wanted the PB sports quilt, but I found this one for right now, its working fine.

{{gwi:1537441}}

{{gwi:1537442}}

{{gwi:1537443}}