Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
demifloyd

Demi's House

demifloyd
18 years ago

Several of you have inquired about a few more photos--I keep waiting until the house is "finished"--they are still doing repair work so I don't have dining/living/hearth room furniture yet, no pictures are hung, and no window treatments are up. These are photos taken just about the time we moved in.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Photos

Comments (68)

• catkin
    18 years ago

So very beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Your mouldings are simply incredible! Do you know which paint brand/color/finish they used on your trim?

• demifloyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Catkin, I went with SW Rice Grain for the trim and some of the cabinets--it's much darker than it appears in the photo, and has a subtle khaki green tint.

• ovenbird
    18 years ago

Demi: Your home is wonderful! It led me to use Cognac in our remodel project. I just got my first look at Cognac with incandescent sconces in our windowless powder room, and all I can say is WOW! It is such a beautiful, rich color. The light fixtures were not installed and working until this weekend, so all I could see up till now was a picture taken with a flash, which was also beautiful. But there really is a big difference with incandescent lights, especially at night...positively glowing! Thanks for the color!

• demifloyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ovenbird, I'm so pleased you like it. It looks okay during the daytime, but it's at night with the lights that Cognac really comes alive. If you have time to take a photo, I'd love to see how it turned out.

• ovenbird
    18 years ago

Demi: I've tried to take some pictures of Cognac but I can't seem to get any that come close to the actual color and glow. I'll try another camera, but I'm not hopeful. There just isn't enough light from the sconces. Cognac and Adobe are the two colors I just can't seem to capture in pictures. It really is too bad since Cognac is absolutely gorgeous at night with just the light from the incandescent sconces.

• SanAntonioRoseToo
    18 years ago

Demi - I just happened onto your pictures and your house is truly lovely - I'm really glad you wern't affected by the hurricane. I have two questions for you I hope you can find the time to answer. What is that pattern of wallpaper in your daughter's powder room? It's very scrolly..very pretty and also .....why do you have a "mouse hole"? It's cute but...why? Thanks,
    S.A.Rose

• demifloyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

SanAntonioRoseToo, thanks for your kind words. If you are referring to the wallpaper with the swags and beads and scrolls on a cream background, that is a Thibault wallpaper, and I don't recall the pattern, but it is a historic reproduction--I think there is a separate book for reproductions. It comes in several colorways, if I remember correctly.
    Re Mousehole, you're not the first to ask that question. Scroll back near the beginning of this thread and you'll find my answer.

Isn't retirement great?

• greatscents
    18 years ago

Demi -

Looking at your lovely home - it's wonderful, and I love the mouse hole!

What are the paint colors in the Butler's Bar, Kitchen, and Hearth Room? I believe they are EK.

Thanks!

• mailynn
    18 years ago

Hi
    stunning house, simply stunning. My jaw is still on the keyboard . Your taste in decorating is enviable. I wish that I had your eye for color. i'd love to know the color which you used in your dining room. BM's decatur buff was suggested to me but I tried it on a wall and I am not happy with it. Any suggestions from anyone reading this are also welcomed.

Glad that you escaped the devastation of katrina. very touched that you opened your home to those less fortunate.

Looking forward to seeing more pics.
    All the best
    Linda

• demifloyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, greatscents and Mailynn.

The EK color in the kitchen, butler's bar and hearth room is Edgewood Green.

Mailynn, I recall the BM decatur buff. It is similar to my dining room color, EK Cognac. With direct light, Cognac tends to be more of a washed pumpkin--like the walls in the photo of the landing in the staircase. When it is overcast or at night, the color is much different and richer--as in the photo of the dining room taken at night.

This was the hardest color for me to try to find, and is why I contacted EK in the first place. The color I was originally wanting was a bronze color, without the yellowy/green look and without the orange. She actually did make it for me, which is now her EK Bronze. The Cognac is another color we "played with," and in the end, I decided perhaps the Bronze was just too dark. Although I love the Cognac, it is a little light for me during the daytime, and I still second-guess that decision. Good Luck--you'll find the right color.

• CarolinaAnnie
    18 years ago

Demi, I just love your house. Do you know what the brand and pattern is, if there is one, of the flooring in your master bath? Its just what I've been looking for in my kitchen.

• demifloyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

CarolinaAnnie, thank you. The stone in the master bath is travertine, and it is called Durango. It is the lighter color, and there is a different name for it as well; I just can't recall it at the moment. It is actually much more neutral--more of beige with cream swirls--the photos always show up with an orange tint. Someone else has noted this with travertine, as well. So far, we really like it and haven't had any problems with staining, etc.
    Good Luck!

• decoratingdivawanabe
    18 years ago

What a home...inside and out! Demi, your house is a wonderful inspiration. I am wondering what the flooring is in your kitchen? I am putting in natural cherry cabinets and I think those tiles would look great with it. Is it a slate? Any specifics would be appreciated!

Karen

• demifloyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Karen, thanks. The floor in the kitchen itself is a continuation of the walnut from the formal area in the middle of the house, but it is indeed slate in the mudroom/computer desk area and in the hearth/breakfast area adjacent to the kitchen. It is just called multicolored slate, but it is not the flaky colored multicolored slate from India (that one has more purples, golds, lavenders--really pretty, but very fragile.) I love it because I don't have to sweep as often as I used to with light tile. It's sort of gritty anyway and dirt doesn't show. It would look absolutely stunning with cherry cabinets!

• jesemy
    18 years ago

Hi Demi,
    What a beautiful home!
    I have a question--on the bar area of your kitchen--how far does your granite extend (and what is the name of the granite?) We are redoing our kitchen and have been told we will need to add some sort of sort under the overhanging granite, which extends 14" from the base cabinet.

Again, your house is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

• ttodd
    18 years ago

Could you refresh my memory of the colors that you choose for the brown bedroom, dressing room and office? I just received my EK color cards today.
    Thanks!

• demifloyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

jesemy,

Thanks! The granite overhang on both the island and the bar is twelve inches. There are corbels under the bar. The name of the granite is taupe. It has pinky brown, cream, beige, gray, and small burgundy flecks. It has a lot of "movement," but we like it.

ttodd--how have you been? The bedroom is EK Adobe, my dressing room is Terracotta Sand with Gustavian Gray on the ceiing, and DH's office is Mocha. What colors are you thinking of using?

• decolady
    18 years ago

Demifloyd,
    I'm just discovering your house and like everyone else, I'm in love with it. It is absolutely stunning from top to bottom. I can't believe no one has asked you about that chandelier in the kitchen area that looks like pillar candles. I love it. What a great space to sit and just soak up the sunlight or read a newspaper. Can you tell me who makes it and where you got it.

I'm so glad that you were not in the path of Katrina. I can't think of a better locale to retire to.

• demifloyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

decolady, it's always nice to hear when someone likes the house--thanks! Actually, I do not know the manufacturer, but I am stopping by the lighting store sometime in the next week or so and I will find out and let you know. I ordered much of the lighting through catalogs and I just don't recall which manufacturer that was.

We were very fortunate that we were farther north of the devastation--we hosted some meals for evacuees and of course helped--we have over 20,000 to our population since the hurricanes. I had mixed feelings about returning to this state (home), but we love it here.

• southernheart
    18 years ago

demi, what an absolutely stunning home. A perfect balance of elegance and warmth (I am in love with Thibaut, too)!

Thank you so much for sharing your photos! Enjoy~

~Andrea

• demifloyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, Andrea. Maybe I won't be out of style long--looks like wallpaper is making a comeback in popularity!

Decolady, I haven't forgotten you--I just didn't make it to the lighting store last week!

• faith2k1
    18 years ago

WOW! Stunning inside and out! You have done a beautiful job. I bet you love living there. Enjoy it everyday!

• ttodd
    18 years ago

Crazy is how I've been! Quit my job of 8 years out of the clear blue sky, hated the one I went to but absolutely love my new one as a medical assistant. Found out I was PG right after I quit my original job so I had a very stressful holiday season between hating the previous job and wanting to enjoy being PG. I couldn't even bring myself to think about decorating, that's how I knew I was terribly depressed! Not decorate? HORROR'S! Anyway - we're all on track now and very happy!
    Well so far I've managed to only squeak by w/ painting a room BM Flowering Herbs which I LOVE. I've decided that my goal will be to pick out colors that I love and when we move to the new home have EK color match. I am closely looking at many of EK's browns that she's come up w/ as they are very similar to what I am looking for in the library/office so I keep peeking back at your pics.

• wantoretire_did
    18 years ago

Gorgeous home - Does Gary Sinese come with it???

• demifloyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oops!

• karenpa
    18 years ago

Hi Demi,
    Well your house pictures are still being enjoyed and helpful. It must be such a pleasure living in such a beautiful home. I am using EK camelhair in my family room, edgewood green in my dining room, and sage in my kitchen. I went with adobe in my masterbedroom after reading how that was your favorite color. My foyer turns into my hall which continues to my upper level and lower levels that have open staircases. I just can't seem to pick my color for this hall. It joins my edgewood green, and sage, and camelhair rooms, has lots of light in the foyer area, and low light in the back hall area. I was wondering what color did you use in your stairway area that has the window and small table? Also what color is inyour foyer? What about your guest bedroom? Thanks for sharing.
    Karen

• demifloyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your kind words. We enjoy living here--still so many decorating decisions to make, but I'm taking my time and so far that has turned out to be one of my best decisions. I hope you enjoy the Adobe in the Master Bedroom--we have a lot of light in that room, and it just glows in the afternoon. I think the EK colors you have selected work very well together. I had Ellen make up what we now call Cognac, and I have that in the entire central area of the house--in the foyer, the inner foyer, hall leading to our bedroom, the living/dining area, and up the stairwell in the game room and halls upstairs. It may look different in the photos--in bright light it tends toward the peachy side, but at night and at other times it's a rich caramel, similar to EK Camelhair, but with more green tones.

The guest bedroom is another color from EK. I sent her a BM color to match--I'm not sure if she actually matched it or it happened to be close to her Lilac Mist. It's a soft, neutral lavender.

I'd love to see photos when you can post them.

• christinec
    18 years ago

Your house is beautiful! I am using a green also in the kitchen area. What is EK? Also what is your countertop? Granite? What is the color name. Thanks!

• demifloyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Christinec. EK is Ellen Kennon full spectrum paints. There are a few threads on the HD forum about her paints. The countertop is granite, and it is called Taupe.
    Someone just asked about Taupe granite over on the Kitchens forum and I posted more photos if you want to see closeups.

• fuzzyslippers
    17 years ago

Bumping for corgilvr!

• janetta_d
    17 years ago

Bumping up all these paint color posts to keep them from getting knocked off by advice posts that don't belong in the gallery.

• wormgirl_8a_WA
    17 years ago

I sure wish I could see demifloyd's house. I have found several posts that reference but a password is needed. Demi, open your album for us to see again! :)

• PRO
    Divine Interiors
    17 years ago

yeh, me too. I read everyone's responses,and wish I could see what everyone else sees

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

demi, I can't see the pics anymore...I'm trying to find the pic of your DR--in cognac, yes? :)

• lovemyboys
    16 years ago

bump, we'd love the password!

• PRO
    Divine Interiors
    16 years ago

I'd love to have the password too, please otherwise I feel SO left out. LOL

• PRO
    Divine Interiors
    16 years ago

bump

• PRO
    Divine Interiors
    16 years ago

anyone?

• demifloyd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gee, I haven't even thought to look at this gallery forum in months--I wasn't ignoring you! LOL

I just made my album public again and will keep it up for a little while. As you can tell, there is still lots to do but I'm taking my time.

Demi's House

• msrose
    16 years ago

Well shoot, it's back to private again :(

Laurie

• Pieonear
    16 years ago

I can't view them either, Laurie. Demifloyd, we wanna see your house too! LOL

I am such a ditz! At first I thought someone had posted pics of Demi Moore's house. LOL

• lynn_r_ct
    16 years ago

I always hop over to the kitchen blog but I happened to notice this. I was intriqued by all the wonderful comments made about your house and wanted so much to see it. I cannot open up your link. I didn't know if it is because it is so old. Your house must be gorgeous! Is the link still available?

• bonniee818
    16 years ago

I wanna see too!

Bonnie

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

I can see ALL the photos. The house is UNBELIEVABLE!!! Just stunning. Thank you Demi for sharing (and I know it was quite some time ago but I'm new to the boards).

• demifloyd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I haven't thought to check this gallery in a long time, thanks for the compliments--as you can see, it's still very much a work in progress. Two and a half years later and I'm just entering the "layering" phase. LOL!

• Shannon01
    16 years ago

Demifloyd- it was suggested I take a peek at your slate flooring. Love it! What brand, etc is it? We are thinking of slate for our entry- see my post in flooring and home decor.

We are looking at actual slate at Lowes and Daltile makes a porcelain look-a-like. Thanks for any info you can offer.

• demifloyd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Shannon. It is a thicker, calibrated slate--the color is Multi. I ordered it from a local company that sells primarily to builders, but most any store that sells tile and stone can find it for you.

I intentionally had a matte sealer put on the slate; if you use a sealer with a little gloss the colors look much darker and the floor looks "cleaner."

For the older look I wanted in this house, however, I decided to stay with the matte sealant.

• Shannon01
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advise about the matte finish. I do not want it to look shiny or any darker than it already is. I want it to have a more earthy tone. Thanks.

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

Hi demifloyd~

It was me who suggested your floors to shannon. I'm glad she found you/them. :o)

I didn't realize this side of the board existed until last week. I have not seen your house in so long. It was great to see how much progress you have made with your interior decorating.

Your home is just stunning. It has turned out even more beautiful with your furnishings and accessories. There isn't a room I'm not madly in love with in your home. It's fantastic!

I was telling Allison that I had considered asking you where you find your gorgeous fabrics, that you must work with a designer to have access to those. Those fabrics are not in Joann's Fabric store or Wal Mart fabrics dept. ... LOL! I love all of your accent pillows!

I must tell you how much I like your red overstuffed chair (in the room with I think green couch.... it's been a few days since I looked at the photos). That chair and fabric are just gorgeous. Do you recall where you purchased, or if you chose a particular fabric to cover/recover that chair? I'd love to get my hands on a chair like that!

I showed dh some of your decorated house photos and said " I so wish Demi would come decorate our house when it's finished". SIGH!!!

So, would you like to come over in a few more months? :op *smile*

• demifloyd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Totallyblessed, thank you--I'm glad you and I have so much in common! Shannon did ask me about the slate; I understand she is going with it--good for her!

I am so glad you said what you did about the fabrics--because DH doesn't always see why I spend so much on them, LOL! That is one thing I always splurge on and yes, I order them from interior designer's sources. Usually, I will have an "idea" in my head about what type of fabric I want and either go through the books on my own or ask an interior designer to find it for me--and they know exactly what I like so they can go directly to the books when I say I want "a crushed velvet with a bluegreen swirl design and such and such background." And they come up with it!

Conversely, sometimes I see a fabric and fall in love with it and then find a place for it, or a pillow, or wait to have something covered it in. Sometimes I find it already on furniture, like the chair you mentioned. Actually I bought that chair on sale at the Bassett Furniture warehouse in Houston, Texas about eight years ago--it was a very good deal, although it is of average quality. I was with a friend looking for furniture and we walked in the back and I loved the size of it and the colors--it's a deep orangey/rose with green. It was supposed to go in my dressing room so I could snuggle up and read. Of course we built the house, wound up downsizing at the last minute so I lost the space in my dressing room. It is in my game room right now, but probably one of our daughers will wind up with it--I'm thinking of making that room more of a library. I have seen that fabric in the last few years; next time I am looking through the books I will try to find it for you--it is a little irridescent.

I don't know if you would want my weird sense of decorating, if you call it that--more like a houseful of "stuff we like." But I would love to help!