Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stella1701

Painting Kitchen Cabinets-Can I really do this?

stella1701
13 years ago

Hi,

Three years ago I bought a home that I love, EXCEPT, for the cabinets in the kitchen and master bathroom. The cabinets are solid wood and are structurally sound. The former owners wiped a dark colored stain over the oak finish on the cabinets in an attempt to darken the wood. They did a poor job. The finish is splotchy and peeling off in some areas. I prefer a white kitchen so I didn't think, when I bought the house, it would be difficult to paint the cabinets. Three years later, I'm so embarassed by the look of my cabinets I just have to do something. Now, I'm not sure this is something I can or should do myself (never tried anything like this before) so I called a painting contractor to ask about a quote. The contractor couldn't believe I would want to paint wood cabinets and not have them sanded down and restained. The price he gave me to paint the cabinets was too much for my budget. Can I paint my cabinets myself and come out with a respectable looking finish? Is it a bad idea to paint wood cabinets? Is it better to use a brush or a roller? What kind of paint and what sheen is best for a long lasting finish? Any other tips anyone could provide would be appreciated.

thanks!

Stella1701

Comment (1)