Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianelu_gw

Am I trying too hard to "push a rope" here?

dianelu
10 years ago

Ok resident decorating experts - I need your opinion! We recently bought a small ranch home built in 1960. It has it's design challenges, but I am trying to pull a look together for it that won't be too inappropriate for the style of the house. After reading and studying various design photos, I've come to realize that I seem to be drawn to the "Hollywood Regency" look. Found a great vintage sofa at a thrift store that I really liked and bought it. That became my "jumping off spot", so to speak. Now I am trying to put together a look that I would like using the sofa as a springboard. I have managed to put together an idea board of sorts to give you some inkling of what l would like to achieve:

To better aid you, I put together a group of photos of the floorplan of the living/dining room space I am working with - you will need to use the password: " Hollywood " to access the album, I believe. Please let me know if you are unable to see it: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DianeLu/slideshow/Help decorate my living room

Also - Here is another album with photos of furnishings and decor I already have or would like to find to achieve the look I'm after (use same password to access, " Hollywood "): http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DianeLu/slideshow/idea board

Because the room is longer than usual (27'2" x 16'5") as it also serves as a dining room, I am hoping to add a room divider behind the sofa to separate the two areas. There is also a brick planter in the entryway which I am thinking might benefit from having a similar type divider built on top of it to help add cohesiveness to the room.

I am concerned that even though I like the look and ideas, maybe I'm trying to go for too "fancy" of a style for this modest home? I do realize that ultimately, I will be the one living there, however I definitely appreciate any input or advice you are willing to give this decorating novice! Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: idea board

This post was edited by dianelu on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 2:25

Comments (2)