Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Decorating Around Angled Bed

oldbat2be
9 years ago

One of my projects this year is DD's room. I've made some progress so far; here's a current photo. Any and all suggestions for improvement will be welcomed. She is 16 1/2. Annie - this one's for you!

Pending: Move bookshelf (DH made it) to opposite wall (right side of pictures, above desk) or above blue bureau (which is on the left side of the pictures). Refinish floor and add area rug. Figure out paint color(s). Redo trim work, floor and around windows (right now I have different trim on the windows and don't like either!). Desk and chair are being replaced.

Keeping: Bed, bureau, honey oak floors (though they will be refinished). Everything else can be changed.

The bed is currently at the angle shown, and I think will stay that way. (Making the bed was a royal pain when it was up against the wall; much easier like this... and she's actually made the bed each day this week, no small miracle).

My primary question is how to best take advantage of the wasted space behind the bed? I'd like a shelf of some sort (DH can build whatever you come up with). Pictures I've found show 'screens' (those folding things, not sure of the accurate word) behind. How about some curtains hanging down behind the bed which could be pulled back/tied back, with a shelf slightly lower than the head board?

Also considering a swing-arm lamp on wall to left of bed.

Any high tech gadgetry/shelving/cool ideas? I come from the kitchen forum and am new to the concept of bedroom decorating :)

Thanks!