Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janinnc123

Desperately need paint color help!

janinnc123
12 years ago

I just posted the following message in the discussion section, but evidently I need to post here if I want to add a photo. I apologize for the duplication.

Hi,

I am a new member to the forum. I recently purchased a home that needs to be repainted throughout the interior. I've decided to start with the living/dining area. This space is about 20x13, with medium-oak hardwood in the dining area of the room and a variegated cream/grey/brown carpet in the living area. The room receives very little natural light...it has two east-facing windows in the living room side that are blocked year-round by large shade trees, and a north-facing bay window that receives very little light even for a north-facing window because of trees and another house located just a few feet outside of the window.

The room is currently painted a dark wedgewood blue color and always feels like a cave to me even in the daytime with the lights on. The room is currently unfurnished (the photo was taken before I moved in, so the furniture in the room is not mine) so I do not need to consider any existing furnishings when choosing a color.

I am thinking I would like to go with an off-white or light neutral that will not look too pink or yellow. I was thinking of a warm white but don't want it to look dirty or dingy in the dim light. I have tried some Benjamin Moore samples painted on 2x3 boards, but just can't block out the blue enough to get a good feel for what the room will look like in another color.

I would be very grateful for any color suggestions - preferably Benjamin Moore - that have worked for you in north/east rooms with little natural light.

Thank you so much!

Image link: