Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tripletmom_gw

pictures of your mantle decor

tripletmom
19 years ago

hi! i'm trying to decorate my mantle, i have a picture hung now and the woman doing my window treatments is an interioir decorator. she said an object on one side a set of three candles on the other side and some greenery. does anyone have anything like this? or any other suggestions?

Comments (57)

• cliff_and_joann
    19 years ago

I think your mantle lookes wonderful. I would just move the picture up 2 to 3 inches. Start with 2 inches first.
    I love the wall color too, does it lean more toward beige
    than gold?
    Joann

• lpinkmountain
    19 years ago

I couldn't see the picture either. Same as Helen.

• redbazel
    19 years ago

Try this {{gwi:1534561}}

• redbazel
    19 years ago

Nope. Didnt' work. Well, the way I saw the picture, was to right click on her red x, copy, and then, paste the copy in the control line.

• earth_angel
    19 years ago

I could not see the pic either. However I do have a large picture on my mantle not hung just propped up about centered. To the left I have a wrought iron Southern Living candlabra which holds 3 candles and to the right of the picture I have an ivy topiary in a red pot to add my accent color to the room.

• Helen23
    19 years ago

Redbazel, That idea worked and I was able to see the picture in Word. I like what you've done, Tripletmom, and the only thing I could think to improve it is Joanne's suggestion of moving the picture up a little. However, it may only be the angle from which the photo was taken that makes the picture look a little low.

• tripletmom
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sorry about the picture. try this link. The first picture is the one i had posted, the i tried some variations. The reason i don't have the picure up higher is that he mantle is pretty high 64' to the top, the ceilings are 9 ft. and the picture is hung 3 1/2' above the mantle. So I was afraid of hanging it too high. do you still think i should move it up?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mantle

• tripletmom
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Joann, it's a brown shade, a little fleshy. i love it.

earth angel, do you have a picture? it sounds lovely!

• cliff_and_joann
    19 years ago

Triplemon. I still think you should move it up. Start with 2" You can always move it back down,if you don't like it.

We have a mirror over our piano in the LR that was to close to the top of the piano, and I wanted it moved up two inches. My DH thought I was nuts, that it would not make a difference. Well this big heavy mirror wasn't easy to move, like a picture would be (a picture, I could do myself)
    After we moved it up, he agreed that it was an improvement.

BTW I get your picture fine on my computer, however on my laptop all I get is a red x. Odd, isn't it?
    Joann

• natesgram
    19 years ago

We recently purchased a fixer and did some major changes on this area. We covered old red brick w/tile, and built the mantle out of cherry with a clear finish. We installed rope lighting on the back of the shelf (glows at night). The mantle has a brass basket w/silk grape leaves, a brass clock, and a tall vase with flowers for some height. This fireplace wall is about 20' high. Framed over it is an intarsia piece of my daughter with the colors of my living room. I had been told by a designer that 3 different things should be the limit on your mantle but if you look close you might see that I have some tiny brass pieces (3) on the right of the green vase. I happened to set them there after taking them off my drapery rods and I have had so many comments of "what are those?" that I don't dare take them away!!
    Judy

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1534562}}

• natesgram
    19 years ago

Sorry, I'm having trouble accessing my own picture so going to give it another try. Says I'm forbidden from the server. Wish me luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: mantle

• Boopadaboo
    19 years ago

Darn - it still isn't working....

• natesgram
    19 years ago

One more try of my mantle.
    {{gwi:1534565}}

• twochicklets
    18 years ago

Here is my mantle!

Here is a link that might be useful: T.C.'s mantle

• Joiful
    18 years ago

Our mantle

• tripletmom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow! Powerful! What a gorgeous room! I love how you decorated you entertainment center also. Do you have a full picture of that? Where do you shop?

• fuzzyslippers
    18 years ago

Ooooh....Joi, what a gorgeous mantel, the stone work is beautiful. Your decor is beautiful. I love your style.
    I notice that you live in Arizona. We are neighbors...well kinda, I live in NM. ;o) It looks like you have wonderful views out of those windows. I hope that you share more pictures of your home, it looks beautiful!

My name is Joy too, but here I am called Fuzzy!

• fuzzyslippers
    18 years ago

Twochicklets, Your mantle is gorgeous too!
    So is your kitchen.

I haven't peeked in the gallery in a long time.

• Joiful
    18 years ago

tripletmom & fuzzyslippers....thanks so much! The outdoor views are wonderful...very inspiring!
    I wish I could take credit for all the decor... I worked with a professional, but they did listen to my likes & dislikes & we made choices together.

fuzzyslippers....we have a lot in common...: )
    I will include a couple more pictures

• tripletmom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow gorgeous! and twochicklets, i love yours as well. Your kitchen is beautiful, what tile did you use? I'm planning on posting all of my house pictures next week! I hope!

• Joiful
    18 years ago

twochicklets, I just looked at your mantle and your kitchen pictures....BEAUTIFUL!! Fantastic look!

• fuzzyslippers
    18 years ago

Joiful, your view looks so peaceful. I bet you truely enjoy every minute looking out at such a beautiful sight!

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely pictures.

• Joiful
    18 years ago

fuzzyslippers, the view is very beautiful and peaceful. I never get tired of looking at the scenery.
    Your welcome....I am happy you enjoy the pictures. I really enjoy looking at pictures of everyones homes...I get a lot of inspiration and good ideas from the talented people on this board.

• allison0704
    18 years ago

triplemom, try changing the candles from shortest-tallest to tallest-lowest and putting the small plant on the left side of the tallest plant (left end of mantle).

• Barbara Olson
    18 years ago

Ok, what I've heard is you are supposed to have a roller-coaster effect. Taller items on the outside, getting shorter, then having a slight rise in the middle. So I agree with the assessment on swapping the tallest and lowest candle, it will make your eye swoop down to the center of the mantle, rather than swooping off the end.

Maybe swap your two plants as well, and I'd also recommend raising the painting 2"-3". I love this thread as I have my own mantle that I'm struggling with. It's my first mantle and I don't have items to put on it, so I'm carefully trying to shop for the "perfect" arrangement.

• Meghane
    18 years ago

I don't like a lot of stuff, so my mantle is pretty simple.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meghan's living room

• storey3
    18 years ago

I agree with everything Zaya said. The height of your candles was the first thing that I noticed.

• ang76
    18 years ago

Joiful - your view is beautiful, and I love the brick work! Quick question - any particular reason one of your candles is reversed from the rest? Just wondering if it's a bit of whimsy! :)

{{gwi:1534569}}

• Barbara Olson
    18 years ago

Ang76 - Boy do you have an eye for detail! It's not reversed in the second pic, so I'm guessing it's a detail ring around the candle that slid down in the top pic.

• Joiful
    18 years ago

Ang76, Thanks for the nice comments! WOW...you do have an eye for detail! I just went to check (had not noticed this before) & Zaya hit the nail on the head! The ring loosened & slid down....: )

• midwestmom
    18 years ago

I love your paint color too. I like the way you have your mantel arranged but I don't are for the greenery. Just personal preferrence here. Very pretty fireplace.

• ang76
    18 years ago

I was kind of hoping it was intentional. I love it when people do little quirky things like that - the stuff you don't notice until it's pointed out. :)

• mythreegirls
    18 years ago

Joiful,
    I was wondering about your window treatments. Is that a roman shade at the top and some sort of wood blind or shutter at the bottom?
    I have to agree, your room is great. I love the colors and the various wood pieces.
    Christy

• Joiful
    18 years ago

mythreegirls...I'm not quite sure I understand. There are window covering on the large lower windows. They are woven woods (roman shade). The windows are so big that I had electric devices installed to raise & lower the woven woods.

Here's another view:(window over kitchen sink is a fabric roman shade)

• twochicklets
    18 years ago

OH MY!!! Joiful, you're kitchen is beautiful, please post in in the kitchen gallery. What are those floors? Everthing is lovely, just lovely.

• Joiful
    18 years ago

twochicklets, thank you so much! The floors are a 5 inch plank hickory/pecan hardwood. I agonized over the floor for the longest time and in the long run....we were so happy with the final result. Glad you like my kitchen....that's always nice to hear.

• cliff_and_joann
    18 years ago

Joiful, Your home is awe inspiring. What a beauty.
    I just love it....Joann

• Joiful
    18 years ago

cliff_and_joann...thank you so much!

• tripletmom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, we've had so much fun with this post, let's post pics of our holiday mantle decor! i'll be doing my fall one in a few days! i will post it! and don't forget christmas!

• fuzzyslippers
    18 years ago

Sounds like a great idea, tripletmom. Can't wait to see everyone's gorgeous holiday mantels!

• catkin
    18 years ago

Fuzzy! She's got the Horchow cake plate/dome! LOL! Gorgeous!

• fuzzyslippers
    18 years ago

I know it....I am jealous! LOL ;O

• demifloyd
    18 years ago

I'm a little late in checking out the recent photos, but Joiful, I can only add to everyone's comments--your home is absolutely stunning. You must enjoy waking up to such beautiful surroundings, inside and out. Please share more photos when you can.

• decor_diva
    18 years ago

Joiful...I agree with twochicklets - we are regulars in the kitchen forum and would LOVE to see your kitchen posted there! It is a beauty!

Could you please tell me about the mantle itself and the columns? What material are they made of?
    I would love to duplicate the look...
    Thanks for sharing it!

• Joiful
    18 years ago

Thanks demifloyd & Decor Diva. I will try to post some pics on the kitchen forum. Decor Diva, you asked about the mantle & columns, they are Cantera Stone. Here is a description of Cantera:

"Cantera Stone
    Cantera is a natural igneous stone, formed as a result of the intense heat and pressure associated with volcanic activity.

Porous and lightweight, cantera stone is a preferred construction materials throughout the ages, for its natural beauty, exquisite color varieties, texture and durability. Many ancient buildings and monuments in Mexico, made of cantera stone, have stood the test of time for thousands of years.

The unique composition of these stones make them ideal for carving. They are strong and durable yet relatively light weight. A porous stone, Cantera's molecular structure allows it to absorb air and humidity without causing the stone to change shape, an indispensable quality for construction materials."

One more picture shows some of the stone with cantera:

• tfm1134
    18 years ago

Joiful-
    Your house is just beautiful! Would you mind telling me the wall color? I think it is so wonderful. The views are breathtaking.

• Joiful
    18 years ago

Thanks tfm. The wall color is a soft, buttery yellow...almost a chamois. I can't remember the paint make (I think it's Dunn Edwards) or color. Next time we go to the mountains....I will look at the paint cans & let you know.

• mike332
    16 years ago

See a marble mantel from Boston.
    It is from a company named as Evan's Home Luxuries.
    It is located in Boston, New England area.
    It is hand carved. Price match policy is offered.
    [img]http://www.evanshomeluxuries.com/upfiles/eee0d14b7db5b7bfbc8d35ec8989d604.jpg[/img]

• mike332
    16 years ago

See a marble mantel from Boston.
    It is from a company named as Evan's Home Luxuries.
    It is located in Boston, New England area.
    It is hand carved. Price match policy is offered.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1534563}}

• Linda Giorgi
    16 years ago

joiful = your kitchen is the prettiest I ever saw. Do you do all your own designing? I wish I had the knack. Your home is so peaceful. Every little detail is so perfect in its surrounding. Congratulations on a beautiful home. I loved the boat house screened in porch.