Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
punamytsike

Ellen Kennon Paint/Colors

punamytsike
19 years ago

I would like to have this thread where anyone that has painted with Ellen Kennon paints would post their pictures. There are lots of people who ask to see specific color in actual room and the threads in the discussion side scroll off much faster than the ones in the gallery side. Besides, if we keep it all in one post, it will be easier to find your color here as well. I have not painted with her colors yet. I am still waiting for my custom Navy but will post when I have something to show.

So please share your photos...

Comments (101)

• KitchenGodsWife
    18 years ago

Just so everyone can see what a difference lighting makes, here is EK Honeysuckle in our north facing living room on a dark and stormy day:

I would never have called it gold.

• Barbara Olson
    18 years ago

A few questions...
    1) Do you know if I can get her colors mixed in anything other than ICI/Dulux, or if paint can be mailed to me? (Our nearest store is almost 13 hours away)
    2) How do the full-specturm paints work in a low light room? I'm completely sold on them for the family room which gets tons of light, but I'd like it for our master bedroom but I'm wondering if it will be worth it since that room receives very little light, it's like a cave, maybe it will seem different once the navy wallpaper comes down)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    18 years ago

Zaya - No you can't get Ellen's colors mixed in any other brand, it's done exclusively by ICI. I've never had to have it shipped, but I think they will. Definitely call them and ask 1-877-877-7628.

My personal opinion is that full spectrum paints, and the specialty paints in general are worth the extra $ because they do respond so well to lighting plans - there is more complexity and richness. I've had success with the full spectrums in rooms with varying combinations of directional natural light and artifical light.

If you find that you can get EK, definitely get the samples so you can see how the colors work in your space. I attached a link of EK Shrimp that was recently done in a Family Room. It's really beautiful at all times of the day in this room. The family loves the outer banks of N. Carolina and EK Shrimp fit well with that mood for them.

Good luck,
    Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: EK Shrimp

• Barbara Olson
    18 years ago

That's gorgeous. I'm loving the photos I see with her colors. I'll have to see about finding someone willing to ship the paints. I have two more months before we start painting so I'm hoping I can find a solution. DH said he was willing to drive to Rockford, IL to pick some up and we can visit our friends that are an hour south of their at the same time.

• User
    18 years ago

I've posted these before, but it's nice to have all the colors in one thread.
    Ellen's Amber:
    {{gwi:1534453}}
    Sage walls with Edgewood green trim:
    {{gwi:1534454}}
    {{gwi:1534455}}
    Buttercream walls with Edgewood green trim:
    {{gwi:1534456}}

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    18 years ago

G O R G E O U S! Is that a mosaic below the first window? I love all your colors, you did a great job in those rooms with everything, not just the paint. Wowsers.

• User
    18 years ago

Thanks, funcolors. The mosaic is an artistic way of hiding carpenter ant damage to the lower molding..

• Barbara Olson
    18 years ago

Anyone looking for ICI Paints Store, if the locator says there aren't any nearby, try to verify it with google, or typing in bigger cities nearby.

I'm terribly excited and had to share. For some reason when I put in Grand Forks and 100 miles in the iciduluxpaints.com store locator it said there was nothing, and upon further searching initially I thought I'd have to go to the Chicago area based on what locations I was finding. Well I was in Fargo last night for dinner and could have sworn I saw an ICI Paints Store. So I looked it up online today and sure enough there is one. Fargo is 80 miles away! YAY!!!! I won't have to have them shipped!

• ovenbird
    18 years ago

We're remodeling our new house and are using EK paint (thanks to the folks on this forum!). We did a color consultation with Ellen and are very happy with the results. I'm posting "in progress" pictures and will post more as we get additional rooms painted. I'm having trouble getting decent pictures of Parchment, Adobe and Cinnamon due to light conditions (very few working lights and walls of S/SW facing windows.) I'll keep trying! In the meantime, hope these pictures help give a good idea of what the colors look like when up on walls...and ceilings!

Ellen and her staff have been wonderful and so helpful. It has been a real pleasure working with them. I'm so glad they made it through Katrina safely.

Tulip Leaves with natural light (S/SW):

Tulip Leaves with natural light (S/SW) and flourescent:

Cognac with flash only (no window or light fixture yet):

• ovenbird
    18 years ago

Ooops! The first posting didn't make it through...wish I could delete it and start over. I'll start the pictures with Cognac and see if they rest make it through. Is there a limit on the size of postings? My original posting previewed with no problems.

Cognac with flash only (no window or light fixture yet):

Citrine with natural light (E/NE), incandescent, and flash:

Buttercream with flourescent and flash (no window):

Light Terracotta with natural light (S/SW), incandescent, and flash:

• User
    18 years ago

Ovenbird--someone else finally did Cognac!
    It looks the same in your photos as it does here. Don't you like it a lot better at night?

• ovenbird
    18 years ago

demifloyd: I really like Cognac and wish I had other rooms where I could put it. Actually, I'm not sure I like Adobe in the master bedroom so it might be a candidate for a repaint. I was also going to use Bronze, the other color you had Ellen create. Now that's an interesting story.

After seeing the small sample card and painting a foam board with a sample pot, I ordered Bronze in Velvet Sheen. Once it was up on the walls (2 coats over FS tinted primer), I noticed it didn't quite look right.

Sure enough it was slightly off color, a little more orange, from both EK's sample card and my foam board. Ellen checked the Dulux base and it was correct. We were left thinking that either the store mixed it incorrectly (a typo perhaps) or the store's computer calibration was off.

But the other EK colors I subsequently used were spot on with the sample cards and foam boards (even your Cognac), so it couldn't have been the computer. In the meantime, I sent Ellen her Bronze sample card, half of which was painted with my "Off Bronze" so she could see the difference.

Between noodling about what was going on and mixing samples at her local ICI store, she figured out the problem. Her Bronze samples used Ultra Flat paint and I was using Velvet Sheen. For some reason, the formula didn't transfer quite right to the Velvet Sheen paint!

Ellen has since created a formula for the Velvet Sheen that matches the Ultra Flat Bronze, and she's duplicated the "Off Bronze" Velvet Sheen formula in case I need more. Isn't Ellen an amazing lady and business woman?

As it turns out, I've decided to keep the "Off Bronze". I love how rich and warm it makes the kitchen feel and it makes our clear alder cabinets look like aged natural cherry! I think Ellen will call it Cinnamon because it is almost an exact match with the spice. She still can't believe a mistake could work out.

So that's my EK story, although not quite as good as matching the color of your evening pants. BTW, thanks for coming up with both colors!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    18 years ago

ovenbird ~

You have a gorgeous home and the EK colors suit it perfectly!

Demi ~ I have recommended Cognac to several people and I know a few have used it. I find it very diverse and works much like a neutral, but it has more oomph than a neutral. Anyhoo, it is one of my very favorite EK colors. After Tulip Leaves, of course!!!! ;-)

Her new Berry Red is rather incredible too. I would love to hear what other people think of it. In fact I may make a separate post on the reg. board for it.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Lori

• sassymnmom
    18 years ago

My EK Edgewood Green:

• sassymnmom
    18 years ago

Here's Camelhair:

• sassymnmom
    18 years ago

My EK Grand Teton Clay:

Eventually I painted it over with BM Georgian Brick (that was the splotches in the above photo):

• dcdame
    18 years ago

More EK Shrimp (looks pinker in these pics than it is IRL; in person, it's more coral):

{{gwi:1534473}}

{{gwi:1534474}}

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    18 years ago

dcdame ~ very pretty. I used Shrimp in a FR and I absolutely loved how it felt to be in that room, it looked good too, but the atmosphere it created was yum-o. Love it.

• dcdame
    18 years ago

Funcolors -- I agree re EK "Shrimp" -- it's in the room where I spend my most time [where my computer is :-)] -- & it's a happy color; not garish, but beachy.

• beth4
    18 years ago

Here are the photos of my EK-painted house. I love the paint, the way it wears, the ease of cleaning it (with no compromise of the paint's finish), the color, its intensity, and the way the paint's color always appears to change. I'm exceptionally happy with EK's colors!

Here is a link that might be useful: Beth4's Remodeled, Redecorated Home

• janetta_d
    17 years ago

Bumping up all these paint color posts to keep them from getting knocked off by advice posts that don't belong in the gallery.

• organic_jamie
    17 years ago

where can I buy this paint?

• pdm6288
    17 years ago

Go to her web site; her paints are produced by ICI; if there isn't a store nearby, it can be shipped.

"Ellen's complex formulas are mixed by ICI Paints who has over 470 stores nationwide. Once you order the paint from Ellen's office in St. Francisville, Louisiana, she faxes your local ICI store her special formulas so they can mix the paint and have it ready locally. Ellen uses ICI's highest quality low VOC paints, including the award-winning Lifemaster VOC-free "green" paint, which is certified by the U.S. Green Building Council."

Here is a link that might be useful: Ellen Kennon

• hoyamom
    17 years ago

Here is my mustard seed in my family room, kitchen and the mustard seed in the basement. The next picture is Lavendar Mist in the guest room. I love her colors!!!

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

bump

• indygo
    16 years ago

Here's seafoam:
    {{gwi:1534482}}

• vorona
    16 years ago

Here are Ellen Kennon's Mustard Seed and Rust in my study.

morning:

afternoon:

• canine7
    16 years ago

which finish is your study

• abbycat9990
    16 years ago

I'm intrigued. From the photos, I can see that there's a luminous quality; almost a milk paint effect. Could someone explain the effect of EK paint? How does it really differ from regular paints? Also, does any conventional paint come close?

Thanks!

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

bump

• vorona
    16 years ago

canine7 -- I used velvet/flat on the ceiling and Lifemaster Dulux eggshell on the walls.

abbycat9990 -- Someone else can explain it better than I can probably, but my understanding is that by not adding black and by adding in pigments from different parts (each part?) of the spectrum, the paint can reflect back more light. This can give it a luminous appearance, and it also helps it look colorful in any level of lighting (traditional paints can turn muddy or gray in low light). I know it's helped in my very dark dining room. The room is a lot lighter now, even though I used the same dark red ceiling in there that I did in my study.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

bump

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

I posted these in the "greens" thread, but here they are again.
    EK Edgewood Green

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

bumping colors threads up to first page

• sunflower53072
    16 years ago

DD's bedroom painted in EK Azure. DD chose this color herself. We had never used EK paint before and were very happy with the results.

• vorona
    16 years ago

Ellen Kennon's Oasis

• vorona
    16 years ago

More Mustard Seed and Rust (ceiling).

• klavr
    16 years ago

This may sound like a stupid question- but where do you purchase the EK paint from? I love the edgewood green.

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

Go to her website www.ellenkennon.com or call at 1 877-877-7628 and they can tell if there is a paint store near you where they can mix it.

There is also a room painter and paint chip gallery there.

• vorona
    16 years ago

bump

• vorona
    15 years ago

bump again

• MariposaTraicionera
    15 years ago

Very interesting thread.

Love the colours, but I am actually tired of colours and looking for a nice very light gray and a good white.

• kjmama
    14 years ago

aqua
    {{gwi:1534495}}From on the other side

sage and aqua
    {{gwi:1534496}}From on the other side

sky
    {{gwi:1534497}}From on the other side

alexandra blue-looks more purple than in person
    {{gwi:1534498}}From on the other side

PArchement
    {{gwi:1534499}}From on the other side

• kjmama
    14 years ago

lilac
    {{gwi:1534500}}From on the other side

this is dusk not sky, sorry
    {{gwi:1534501}}From on the other side

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

bump

• doonie
    13 years ago

This is Celery in the Foyer with West Windows

Morning Light
    {{gwi:1534503}}

Mid Day light
    {{gwi:1534504}}

Night time (Over head fixture on low)
    {{gwi:1534505}}

• dianamo_1
    12 years ago

Bump

• phelansmom
    12 years ago

Bump

• wormgirl_8a_WA
    12 years ago

EK Stone on walls and cabinet fronts, EK Rainbow Fog on trim. Taken with artificial light and perhaps flash, minimal natural light. Looks very different in the daytime - the Rainbow Fog is beautifully creamy in the diffuse north light.

The third picture isn't very true to the color but shows what I did to paint a shower surround in the trim color (since it was really just a bath surround). Not shown in these photos, I later painted another surround around the sink, which works very well to hide all the toothpaste splatter.

>

>

>

• emagineer
    12 years ago

bump

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH