Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_thrifty

holiday dressing

ms-thrifty
9 years ago

When did those fancy Christmas sweaters become "ugly"?
There stull seems to be a few who do not know that they have become ugly and only worn to an ugly Christmas sweater party, and are wearing them just as they always have -to the one or two holiday events they have always attended, or just because ---
Please tell your children not to say anything if they see an old lady wearing one..Must be no one told them they were now UGLY and not to wear them any more.

Comments (18)

• peegee
    9 years ago

Oh, if I had one I'd wear it "just because"! I have ALWAYS found them ugly, but ugly can be a hoot!

• camlan
    9 years ago

The receptionist at work loves Christmas. From what I can tell, she has a different holiday sweater to wear each day in December.

Some are ugly, some are pretty, some are in between. She enjoys them. And the rest of us enjoy that she is happy.

I'd never tell someone their clothing was ugly, unless they specifically asked me that.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

My Aunt Mary wears Christmas sweaters with the greatest of enjoyment and if anyone ever made a remark to spoil it for her I would cut them off mid sentence with whatever it took--- from the steely eyed death ray glance to a vase over the head.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I was a school nurse in an elementary school for three years. The principal, school secretary, and quite a few female teachers wore Christmas sweaters because the students loved seeing them dressed for the season. I finally relented and bought a sweater vest from Talbots. It had a black body and discreet mini holly leaf and berries embroidered on it so it was still a classic look. However I had no problem at all donning reindeer antlers with twinkly lights on them because we all got into the spirit!

KSWL, you are a very kind lady. Honestly, I think it is wonderful when people enjoy their holiday garb! I love the steely death ray glare comment. That is a look that I mastered when my children were younger so they knew they were treading on dangerous territory and it would serve them well to carefully back away from their course.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

It's like the current version of the ugly tie thing, no? All in fun.

Most people I know take a reasonably decent sweater and make it uglier anyway by adding truly obnoxious stuff to one. I would only hope parents of young ones would advise against making remarks of any kind, but I'm with kswl. Mama always taught us, if you can't say something nice....you know the rest.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I thought it was, "..,if you can't say something nice, c'mon over here and sit next to me ..."

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Yeah, Mtn, that too, lol!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

In this case it's "if you can't say anything nice about Aunt Mary's sweater, move away from kswl" lol!

She is so sweet, she buys them new and at consignment shops, always amazed that the loveliest ones look brand new. And do you know, she looks wonderful in them.

O

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

The Ugly Holiday Sweater Party thing has been around for over a decade so I think if our Aunt Marys haven't heard about it by now they probably never will. Or they have heard about and just don't care. Good for them.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

My mom is 80, and still loves her Christmas sweaters. Like kswl, I would never dream of telling her they are "ugly." She likes them and looks cute in them, too.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

The question is, are they really ugly or only dated?
    It's quite possible some of these people wearing them know they are mocked and out of style but think they are still nice anyway.

I have a few in storage and a couple were expensive and beautiful. Snowy mountains and deer ...maybe they will come back someday.

(insert various home decor elements freely)

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Seems they have been a "fun" thing since the Bridget Jones movie and a grown man being given and forced to wear a rather juvenile reindeer "jumper"/sweater for that party. That scene mocked a certain situation and apparently it hit a cord -- or just gave young folks and excuse for theme parties or to wear clothing they weren't sure about. I think Nordic designs have taken some of the fallout -- not all deserved. As far as silly and juvenile designs on adults -- you gotta wear them for what they are, or not. And if you have wool Nordic knits you love, keep them. This too shall pass.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

Oh, are Nordic sweaters laughable now too? I didn't realize. I just bought a new one. LOL Now I'll be the lady with the funny Nordic sweater. I'm okay with that.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

"the steely eyed death ray glance".

You mean the hairy eyeball? I love that phrase!

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

KSWL . . . what a great niece you are! Love your response!
    Lynn

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

I think the good got rounded up with the hideous and called taboo. Notice how they still want to sell beaded and sequined sweaters just not embroidered ones with holiday themes. Like when mom jeans ruined it for all pleated front pants. Ugly furry vests are fine but poinsettias are taboo.

Personally I think it's another attack on older people. Ugly jeans are fine but a beaded sweater is to be shunned. You never see these attacks on young trendy clothes even when they deserve it. I'm talking to you neon jeans.

I'm not saying there weren't some cheap ugly sweaters but there were some good ones too.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I hate to broadbrush a thing.

Of course when I was volunteering at the angel tree I wore all kinds of holiday stuff including giant wreath earrings.

The sweaters have morphed into their own party theme and contests.
    {{gwi:2136307}}

And you have to be impressed with just how creative people can get with what they put on the sweaters...from candy canes and fireplace mantels to reindeer barfing presents and decorated trees stuck on the sweater and more.

Just like anything, it depends on the sweater.

This is reasonably attractive with a decent shape to it so it looks more fashionable.

Some clearly require a sense of humor.
    {{gwi:2136308}}

This one lights up!
    {{gwi:2136309}}

And some are simply wrong. Just wrong.
    {{gwi:2136310}}

And why stop at just a sweater?

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Now THAT's a suit!! Where do they come up with this stuff? And why am I getting a visual of Chevy Chase?