Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

socks - I must be getting old

3katz4me
10 years ago

It's minus 20 degrees and we've had at least a foot of snow for about a month. I needed some new heavier weight cotton socks to wear with my heavy duty snow and slop shoes. Went to about five stores only to find hundreds of pairs of below ankle socks. What's up with that? I buy those in the summer but not in the winter. Do people wear those in the winter? They had some thin dress socks that went above the ankle but otherwise nothing but a few pairs of white athletic socks and some psychedelic chenille type socks. I bought some of those to wear around the house but I needed blue, black, brown, etc. for work. I finally had to go to a place called Fleet Farm to get suitable socks.....and I live in a major metropolitan area....

Comments (32)

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

I discovered the Ice-breaker brand of wool socks a couple of years ago and haven't had cold feet since. They are very pricey, but you can wear them forever. An added bonus is that there is no foot odour with them (I'm on my feet all day at work) and I can wear them more than one day without washing (altho I don't usually when I wear them to work). I have a really heavy pair that I wear around the house like slippers and then several light pairs for work.

I do commiserate about the lack of adequate cotton socks. My girls wear a uniform at their school and need black knee high socks. I used to be able to find them everywhere, but the last couple of years I've had to buy them from the school store which is very pricey. I asked at Walmart and they said that they couldn't find a manufacturer to buy from.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Yeah, I know how you feel when you go to a store and can't find something that seems so basic. Wool socks would be easier to find at this time. Cotton socks are hard to find - most are blends.

Did you try JCPenney? They seem to have them on line, but they are a blend. For pure cotton, try wearpact.com

Here is a link that might be useful: JCP

• jmc01
    10 years ago

I found good cotton knee socks at Sears last week...and I was floored that Sears had them.

Nordstroms has good high quality wool knee socks that are a good weight for wearing with regular shoes.

Vermont Country Store online has thick, cable stitch cotton knee socks.

Once in a while, Marshall's and TJMaxx have good cotton knee socks.

Macy's - don't waste your time. Gap, JCrew and stores like these never have knee socks with high cotton or wool content.

I only wear knee socks from Nov to Mar and buy at least a couple of pairs every year.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I get Gold Toe brand from JCP. Don't know if they are in stores, but I get them online. They are a blend, though.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I got my knee socks from LL Bean a couple of years ago...I bought a dozen...but I don't see them there any more...they have some basic knee hi at zappos. I was struggling to find the knee hi dress socks for DH too...finally found some he could live with at JCP. Very frustrating as I consider them a basic for winter wear....

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Both my son and I have been buying Sam's socks for years. Not gold toe or the ones with a gray toe. Just the soft white or black ones. I wear them all the time around the house. The seem to last forever without any pillage, although I can get them fairly dirty.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I don't mind cotton blend (actually prefer) but no wool and no knee highs - just the crew sock type height. Wool either itches or is too hot. I was thinking Sears as I've picked up some good socks there in the past but didn't yet get there - not near anywhere I usually go.

Who is wearing all the ankle socks in Minnesota in the winter? It's currently minus 11 degrees.....

• golddust
    10 years ago

I stock up on Merino Wool socks at Costco. Can't beat the quality for the price.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Who is wearing all the ankle socks in Minnesota in the winter?

Indoor tennis and other indoor athletic activities? That's all I can figure.

Agree on the Costco wool socks.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Wool socks are no longer itchy. That is a thing of the past. Try the Smartwool brand, although they are expensive. They are comfy and warm.

My sons only wear the low cut socks. I tried to find them in the outdoor stores (they are both bikers) and could not find any. I could only find crew socks. Go figure.

I really can't stand knee highs. They strangle my legs.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

"I really can't stand knee highs. They strangle my legs." Had to laugh, Ded. I used to love knee socks, but now I feel the same! Wonder if age causes that.

I wear merino and possum fur socks from NZ. Warm, non-itchy, buy large even though I have smallish feet (size 6) and wash in machine with either Woolite or Mrs. Meyers laundry soap, but air dry. Warm happy feet! I have also bought cashmere socks on sale, but they don't wear well-cheap cashmere. :(

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

Try sporting goods stores like Dicks, Big 5, etc. they have lots of types of cotton, and wool. they are made for outdoor use and not for fashion, so much better to keep you warm.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Because of the lymphedema, I wear the low cut socks, but I NEED some crew length warm socks! I can't wear most crew socks because they are tight at the crown-and I must have them loose, but snug on the foot.

I have found diabetic socks, but they're sooo flimsy and thin. I ususally end up wearing 2 pair, but that makes my feet and legs even bulkier. I have one pair of wool blend socks that I've had for years and I just don't know where they came from. They're the only ones I've found that are not tightly knit at the upper end.

But I know what you mean about trying to find tall, warm socks-my DS asked for knee socks for Christmas-not crew length, and also some wool socks. I could not find either! Wool blends, yes and no knee socks of any kind I didn't look too hard, but I was surprised that I could only find crew, ankle or low cut socks. Also could not find dark brown mens dress socks in just plain dark brown, not printed.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I have very sensitive skin but live in a really cold climate with Raynauds. "Smart Wool" socks are warm, comfy and not itchy.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree about the knee sock strangulation - just don't care for that feeling. I'm too cheap to buy smartwool socks though they do have a lovely selection I've noticed. No way I'd pay over $20 for a pair of socks. Somehow I feel like wool socks are too hot for me personally but I haven't worn a pair in many years so maybe I will give them another try - some brand that's cheaper than smartwool.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I bought a pair of smartwool knee socks this year for the first time, yep, 20 is a lot for a pair of socks, but they are now my favorite and I'm going to get more.

• duluthinbloomz4
    10 years ago

FWIW, I found ladies crew socks at Walmart - "Faded Glory" label.

Cotton/polyester/spandex blend made in Honduras-package of ten pairs for a really really low price. Mix of black, tan, navy and white pairs. And they stay up. The way these socks are sized is annoying - luckily I grabbed the package for size 4-10 (quite a wide range there!)

Would definitely get you through a Minnesota winter (it's still -18o out there.) or two. I wear them all the time with casual shoes, boots, around the house etc.

• golddust
    10 years ago

I find Smartwool socks at Marshall's. I wash and dry them with no problems. Much cheaper. I've never plunked down the big bucks for them but have happily paid just under $8.

Poor Peaky!! You need to put a bunch of new socks in a hot attic until the elastic gives out. You can call it your sock bank.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I put my smartwool socks in the W&D. They come looking little but stretch right back. They come in different thickness, mine are middle of the road.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I buy the wool socks at Costco.
    They are a thin wool so not too hot.
    3 pairs for 10.00 , can,t beat that.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I found a beautiful pair of smartwool socks online for less than list price and splurged on one pair. Hopefully I don't get hooked on them.....

• nanny2a
    10 years ago

I wear knee high socks all winter long, and love gold-toes. They have a great selection, are priced well and last several years. They are the only socks I buy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gold-toes

• nanny2a
    10 years ago

I just read your comment about knee-highs, so sent a link for the crew length, too. They are still great.

Here is a link that might be useful: crew-length

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks nanny - I see what look like some good choices there. I now realize the error of going to the store to try to buy socks. I buy a lot of stuff online and I guess I will add socks to the list.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Target has nice white cotton socks for women~I get the ones with pink toe/heel. i'm a 5 1/2 or 6 shoe, and find these run small. For black, I buy a boys size Gold Toe.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I have never seen smartwool at TJ's or Marshall's here although I imagine they would be the plain ones if I ever do see them. I love their crazy patterns.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Socks! DH and I both miss the crews made of a cotton/ nylon blend, with no binding at the top. So very soft, and stay up without tight elastic at the top...the only kind I can find, anywhere i look. We have average sized ankles, calves, but most crew socks have a too-tight binding at the top :( Are there soft wool crews, perhaps, thin enough to wear with loafers and tennies?
    Don't mean to hijack, but was excited to see your " socks" title.
    A hopeful marti

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I also have Reynaulds and were smart wool all the time unless it's over 80 degrees.

They make a sock they call a sock liner, like for under bulky ski or snowboard socks. Well, these liners are the ideal trouser sock. Thin enough that I can wear with topsiders or loafers. They come only in black or natural white. I had to buy on smart wool.com

For nice cotton men's s crew socks try wigwam. Buy on campmore or zappos My DH loves them.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

My husband wears executive length Goldtoe socks that I buy in multi-packs. When I try to match them up after the laundry - none of them are exactly the same length. They all vary! I line them all up next to each other and try to pair two that look the closest. He is not a complainer so I don't know if they feel like slightly different lengths when he is wearing them. I think it would drive me crazy because I know, not so much that I could physically feel the difference. Except for the strange length variation, the rest of the sock holds up well.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Bumble, keep checking. My Marshall's Smart socks are black with pink stripes and black with blue stripes. They were crazy enough for the price.

• kimberlyrkb
    10 years ago

My husband bought me three pair if smartwool brand cable knit socks for Christmas. I don't care for them. They are pretty and a nice weight - not too thick or too thin and fit well in my snow boots - but they have an odd texture. It seems I can feel the individual threads when I walk. Also, there are two short diagonal seams in the heel that somehow end up under my heel, so that I'm walking on them. It feels like I have something inside the sock. Ugh. Back to the drawing board on my own hunt for the perfect socks.

By the way, I do like the wigwam wool socks at Costco and like to wear them around the house in my slippers, but they are too thick to wear in shoes or boots. Also, the colors aren't quite right for me, as I prefer dark or black. Each pack of three pair contains either light grey, purple (that washes to a very bright color) and light blue. You can't get a three-pack of just the dark colors.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My lovely pair of Smartwool socks arrived today. Just tried them on briefly - very nice. They are probably thinner than what I would wear with my winter outdoor shoes that I wear in snow and slush. I'll wear them though.