Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethpen

Vestibular Problem in Cats? Toxoplasmosis?

Bethpen
10 years ago

DD found our fifteen year old cat Olive hiding under a bed yesterday, howling and cowering. When she finally coaxed her out, poor Olive wasn't walking correctly and was holding her head funny. DH and I were in NH, about 3.5 hours away.

Not knowing what to do, I sent DD to the Emergency Vet. They said that Olive has a Vestibular disturbance that could be from an infection or perhaps a tumor. She spent the night there, to the tune of $1,100. Some of the blood tests were sent out, so they are waiting to hear if it is Toxoplasmosis, or if the other tests point in any specific direction. Since Olive is a big fan of being outside, eating baby bunnies and mice, I'm guessing this is the problem.

We brought her home, as they wanted $300 to keep her another night. DS and I have taken turns holding her, which seems to slow the vertigo down a bit. She actually just put herself into the crate, which I think feels safe. Tomorrow we have an appointment with our regular vet. I feel like the ER vet was more about racking up the bill than providing compassionate care for a scared, older cat. Honestly, I felt like they were sizing up my jewelry to see what we could pay.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with toxoplasmosis or the Vestibular dizziness. We think she had a toxo infection when we first got her, she was hospitalized for several days back then, but has been super healthy (and kinda mean) since then.

Thanks!

Beth P.

Comments (9)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Yikes! When will you learn what it is, and the treatment? Poor kitty. Hoping for her to get well soon.

My cat is an outdoor cat too. Is there a vaccine for this?

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

I had an older dog that came down suddenly with a vestibular problem. It was scary because I thought she had a stroke. She vomited and had trouble standing and walking. She couldn't keep her balance or walk straight. I can't remember exactly now, but I think she tilted her head to one side. My vet could tell right away that it was a vestibular problem just by looking at her eyes. I hadn't noticed but my dog was having trouble focusing because of the dizziness and her eyes weren't holding steady. The vet gave her some medicine, but it took about a week for her to get back to drinking, eating and walking normally.

• Bethpen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marti8a,
    I guess we won't hear for sure what it is until the bloodwork comes back. Even then, I think it will only tell us if it is toxoplasmosis or maybe will point to some other problem. There isn't a vaccine.

She spent the night quietly, I brought her into the guest room, and she went into the closet, into the crate. I have her blocked in that room with food, water and a litter box.

Beth P.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Wow, my oldest dog had this just last week. I raced him to the vet where he'd had a check-up the afternoon before and was pronounced fine. They found he had an ear infection, and he is now on Dramamine, ear drops and an antibiotic.

He has improved, but still needs help going down stairs, has less of a head tilt now, and seems a tad confused. But he's always been such a happy boy that his personality still shines through. It is a HORRIBLE experience for a pet owner!

The short video below references dogs, but it would be the same symptoms for cats.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vestibular disease

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Bethpen, hope she is doing better. Poor baby!

• leafy02
    10 years ago

That does sound scary and I agree that it sounds like the emergency vet was racking up the bill rather than being conservative.

Wishing your kitty well. Do come back and let us know what the prognosis is.

• Bethpen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well my little friend is still here! All of her blood tests came back good, so it is just an isolated incident I guess. I brought her to our own vet on Tuesday. She was great. She said to not bother giving the antibiotic that the ER supplied, which definitely made life easier for Olive.

She's been holed up in the closet, between the crate and a small blanket. I have been using a syringe to squirt some beef baby food in her mouth and she hasn't fought it. Tuesday night I was really worried that she wasn't going to bounce back, but she has looked a little better every day. DS and I sat with her for a bit, but really I think she just wants to be alone and in the dark. The vet was great, just said, "either she will get better or she will get worse, there isn't a lot we can do but make her comfortable and not torture her". Those ER peeps were ready to do an Xray and a CT scan.

The hard part is that we have to travel to NH this weekend. I think we are going to bring her along, even though she has never been anywhere but here or the vet. There is a nice dark bedroom there and DS can keep an eye on her while DH and I work at the Waffle Cabin.

She's a tough little nut!

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

Hi, our Tortie cat was diagnosed with Vestibular Syndrome in '10, after a scary seizure. She spent three days getting IVs, then came home. She's learned to adjust to having balance problems, walks a bit wobbly, can't hold her head completely straight (tilts to one side), and can no longer jump up on furniture. We modified her litter box by cutting the sides down a bit, as it was hard for her to climb in. She loves to be held tight, I think it helps her feel safe in her dizzy world now. She's happy, and still has a good quality of life, even with this chronic condition.

Just wanted to share Sassy's story, and wish you the best with your pretty girl!

• Bethpen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Latest news from NH!

Olive the cat is doing better. Because of our work schedule, I had to bring her to NH. She has never been anywhere but home or the vet. She cried off and on the whole 4 hour drive. Once we got here she did OK.

She is eating, drinking and using her litter box. She seems to be doing better, but her balance is still off. I'm hopeful!

We will head home tomorrow. I feel terrible about making her ride in the car again, but next weekend she can stay home with our kids.

I didn't like this week.

Beth P.