Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Best Adult Hot Chocolate?

funkyart
10 years ago

I am not a chocolate lover but I want to buy some really good "adult" hot chocolate to have for the holidays.. and for a gift. I've given Mariebelle in the past and recipients have raved about it. I was about to order it again but thought I'd check here to see if someone had a better suggestion.

Comments (12)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, my suggestion was gonna be Cafe Flore in Paris! They give you your own little pot of deep hot chocolate, a pot of warm milk, and sugar. You mix it in whatever combination you want. Heavenly.

But your box is cuter and easier to send! I'd add some cinnamon sticks in the bow!

BTW Funky, how do we get on your list? You seem to be really good at gift giving!

• peegee
    10 years ago

I've had MarieBelle and it was excellent. My favorite now however, handsdown is Burdicks!

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Oh, I thought you meant adult hot chocolate.
    That would have to be hot chocolate and Malibu. It tastes like a Mars bar!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mtn.. that method of serving hot chocolate sounds lovely for an afternoon in front of the fireplace!

Peegee, I've read that Burdick's is the best! But I have to admit, I do like the Mariebelle tins and the lovely blue/brown design. Since you've had both and give both high marks, would you go for the packaging or the flavor? I will be giving these as hostess gifts.. and as small gifts to others I'll be visiting (but not exchanging gifts with).

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

haha JulieK! I am liking the patron dark cocoa in my coffee!

• mdrive
    10 years ago

i don't know how you could improve on raves from recipients, but jacques torres was rated #1 by these taste testers...

"Best Fancypants Mix: Jacques Torres: This was like eating a melted chocolate bar, a really good dark one. "Would definitely drink a whole cup of this," agreed tasters. There's a half cup of milk per every 1/4 cup of mix (that's a whole 2-to-1 milk-to-chocolate ratio!), which contains solid chocolate nuggets mixed with the powder. It's definitely indulgent, but also very drinkable. Slightly salty to balance the sweetness."

mariebelle sounds positively decadent:

"Most Indulgent (and Priciest): Mariebelle Aztec Hot Chocolate: So thick, this almost reaches pudding levels. "Amazing. Like drinking liquid chocolate sauce!" You could definitely refrigerate this in a pie crust and serve it. There's a whole 2/3 cup of single-origin Colombian cacoa shards per every 1/2 cup of milk. That's more cacoa than milk! Each sip goes down slowly, painting your esophagus. It feels like it should be served over ice cream, a la hot fudge. This is a splurge�"it probably works out to a couple quarters per sip. And don't be confused by the "Aztec" part. It's not spicy, cinnamony, or spiked with any other unexpected spices."

Here is a link that might be useful: jacques torres rated best by these tasters

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL.. "eating a melted chocolate bar".. "drinking liquid chocolate sauce". These are not things that excite a non-chocolate lover! I have had Mariebelle (in her shop in Soho!). It is dark, rich and not overly sweet.. my biggest complaint with hot chocolate. I had the spiced version with cayenne and cinnamon. I'd much prefer a cup of coffee but I do remember that I found it "interesting" (in a good way).

Jacques looks good too but as I read these reviews and look at their offerings, I keep coming back to the lovely Mariebelle packaging. See how I am? LOL

I was also looking at Vosges -- I have given their truffles as gifts but never tasted them. Anyone have their truffles and/or hot chocolate?

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I don't know..... this is kinda cute!!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Especially for gifts, the MarieBelle packaging wins!! I would gather it up in clear cellophane, tie it with a gold bow and wrap some cinnamon sticks into the bow. Cinn. is fabulous in hot chocolate and it looks so pretty too!

• peegee
    10 years ago

I would stick with the Mariebelle for the presentation - you know it's a hit! Then I'd experiment with taste comparisons on my own for next year! (at least it sounds like a good excuse!) What a great gifter you are! Oh - edited as I just noted you are not a chocolate lover; never heard of that before, LOL! - all the more impressive!

This post was edited by peegee on Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 17:21

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

I'm biased my favorite hot chocolate may not come in the most impressive package: lake Champlain chocolate makes great vegan hot chocolate. Although my husband's favorite is hot chocolate on a stick from dean and deluca. It is more appropriate for gifting and people love the novelty.

But I agree that cinnamon is great in hot chocolate as is ancho chili powder.

Here is a link that might be useful: hot chocolate on a stick

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Deleted duplicate sorry

Here is a link that might be useful: hot chocolate on a stick

This post was edited by iheartgiantschnauzer on Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 19:34