Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

Has anyone taken music lessons as an adult?

goldgirl
10 years ago

I'm 50-something, took piano as a young girl, and eventually played flute throughout middle and high school. Had a guitar as well, but never took lessons.

I haven't touched an musical instrument in more than 20 years, and part of me really misses that outlet. Was thinking of taking up guitar. Don't even know if I could squeeze in lessons/practice with my crazy schedule, but am thinking of at least toying around on my own, and then going from there.

Anyone taken up an instrument later in life?

Comments (6)

• deegw
    10 years ago

My husband played an instrument and sung in musicals in high school. (If he were here, he would also feel the need to add that he played football and threw the javelin.)

He started teaching himself how to play the banjo about 5 years ago and has gotten quite good. He learns most of what he needs to know from you tube videos.

• leel
    10 years ago

After getting my Ph.D at 76, I needed another challenge, so I started piano lessons at 79. Never had any musical training before, so I started at ground zero--figured I had to be at least as smart as the average 8 year old!

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

DH took piano lessons for a while when he was laid off one time. I have a friend in her late 50's who takes both piano and guitar lessons. I don't know how she squeezes it in. She is very passionate about music though. I'd say give it a try. If it doesn't work out you can always quit.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

My grandfather learned to play the mandolin around 70 and the piano at 65. He became quite skilled at both. Learning how to read music was challenging to him, it never quite became second nature. However, he could play by ear after only hearing a song once. I was always jealous. I had no problem reading music at the age of 8 but couldn't do that. Finally in my 20s all my practice paid off and I began to be able to play music by ear... However it took me years, whereas he had that skill all along. I think age is merely a number. Embrace your interests-- maybe you will rediscover or find a new passion. And learning new skills as you age counteracts diminishing brain power.

As for the hectic schedule, i hope you find a way to squeeze 30 minutes of practice in a day. Playing music is a great way to unwind and destress.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I wasn't exposed to written music as a child although I can sing and memorize a tune. In my late 40s I took group keyboard lessons at a piano store. It was an amazing experience because the teacher was so fabulous. I learned a whole lot in a short time and I practiced like crazy to keep up from week to week because for me repetition is key.

When the session was over I didn't feel ready for solo lessons and I couldn't find any level 2 group lessons.

I think it's important to have a goal and a plan to keep you pushing onward.

Maybe a song you want to record or a an event you want to play at?

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I woud love to play the guitar~nothin' like a good guitar riff. A good example is the one in Freebird. If I could sing along, that would be even better, as I always wanted to be a singer while growing up. There's a rock star inside of me trying to escape. ;o)