Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

What do YOU want for Christmas?

funkyart
9 years ago

There have been many threads requesting gift ideas for others.. but not much mention of what we gift givers want! This is about you-- what you want, big or small.. no "donations in my name"! They're admirable but just not the same receiving The Perfect Gift!

I'd love a culinary trip.. maybe cuba?

It isn't in the budget this year.. so I am going to say a cashmere poncho!

Comments (83)

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Bbstx,
    I could claim I was out shopping for others and picked up a few things for myself but it wouldn't be true. I don't buy any gifts, I was shopping for me, me, me. My husband buys the gifts for his family, we've found that to be the best system.

Ellendi,
    I forgot! I also bought myself a Clarisonic recently. I keep expecting my credit card to be declined because of an unusual increase in activity. I can't think of anything else I need so it will settle back down to normal usage now.

Mtn,
    I'm not familiar with the Tubby Olive. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Dtown. I do my vinegar shopping at Seasons in Bethlehem.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

Javachik: thanks, yes I have and they're wonderful, but I'm thinking a mechanical massager would be more convenient over the long term. I had no arthritis before all my hand trauma, but it's pretty significant and painful now, lasting all day to some extent. After I posted here, I got on Amazon and did about an hour of research on mechanical hand massagers. I finally decided on the Breo iPalm520Accupressure Hand Massager with Heat Compression. I put it on my Wish List and told DD about how much I wanted it when she called. DH will get it for me and I'll try to remember to post after the holidays as to how good ~or bad~ it is.
    Lynn

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I want time to stand still if only for a few days.

Other than that -- some non-plastic kitchen gadgets, my favorite lotion and a new fitbit.

Or nothing at all. Except for the time standing still thing.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

Bbstx, I sent my husband a link to a knife I liked on quito keeto which grew into him doing a bunch of research and me contemplating the downside of too much knowledge being available. I figured I found a good quality knife that was beautiful and I liked it for a price that was not unreasonable and after a while I was being pulled down by too many options. It will be interesting to see if he pulls the plug on a knife or not.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Sheesharee, that cat tail serving spoon is adorable! I wouldn't mind having one.

The one thing that I really want even more than the iPad Air is to have an antique painting that I have taken to an art conservator for repair. It was the one thing I asked my DH for. It won't happen though so this spring I will have to take the bull by the horns and take care of it myself!

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

I expect nothing this year! Not because I am being a martyr, but because my kids won't think to make something for me, and we just don't have money to spend on each other. We are taking a trip to see DH's family so that's where all the extra is going.

But, what do I WANT? I'll dream big:
    -new clothes that fit and flatter me (super hard to find clothes and shoes in my size)
    -my ^&*$# fireplace to be redone (new drywall, old mantel)
    -an interior designer to help me fix my lighting/table problem in the LR
    -old carpet ripped up, hardwoods redone, then covered by old, old Persians (I like to replace old with old-- just has to be the right kind of old)
    -first floor repainted, someone to sew my curtains for me . . .
    -a gallery wall of artwork that I somehow love
    -a nanny to come in once a week for a few hours so I can just leave the house in peace
    -a trip around the world that lasts a year +
    oops . . .getting carried away!

Or, I would trade all of that for a great dog.

OR, for a totally free option, I would LOVE it if my DH would say I could get the house to myself one day . . .if he would just take the kids somewhere fun while I stayed home for at least 6 hours. But that won't happen!

Lynn and Annie-- hugs. I am going to send healing thoughts out there for both of you!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Do you mean little kid style, like what do you want for Christmas, regardless of whether or not it makes any sense or is even possible?

Hmm, I think I would like another baby (mine are too big now!), another dog or two, an apartment in New York, and maybe a house abroad somewhere.

But my favorite thing to do for Christmas is play Santa Claus. There are all sorts of toy drives, book drives, pajama drives, whatever. Our family spends a whole day shopping for one or more of these causes. We do it up big and overindulge in SantaClausness, maybe even get a little obscene about it (it's anonymous). All of us, even the youngest, agree that is it our favorite part of the holiday. The hopes that someone somewhere gets something out of the blue that will make them happy -- that is a really fun feeling.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awww Mtn.. what fun you must have! I used to do something similar on a smaller scale and it was good fun!

Anele, I so wish you lived closer--I'd love to spend time with your girls and give you time to recharge and relax!

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

The kids are never happy with me saying i want nothing, so I do keep a list of things i never seem to buy but want/need.

This year includes a new long handle nylon bristle bath brush. Must be nylon, for a reason!

A 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup. Mine has mysteriously disappeared.

Soap from my favorite local soapmaker-Slab.

Ssomeone to program the smart TV and set the presets, the bass, modes, blue tooth, etc on my new car stereo.

Artisnal extra sharp cheddar cheese

Authentic Italian canoli. Like Grandma made!!

Usually my girls get me some lux cosmetics or perfume. I have no qualms buying myself jewelry, but i hem and haw over a bottle of Chanel No 5!

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Oooo, yeah. I also want someone to show me how to use the Bluetooth feature in my car.

And some of those Rough Linens sheets.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Super luxury bedding. And someone to launder/iron said bedding, and to make up the bed properly every morning. Maybe I should live in a hotel.

Some sort of spa membership that gives me a massage every week and a facial every month.

Someone to make nutritious meals for my family at least 3-4 days a week.

A personal shopper to help me buy new clothes that fit well and make me look "pulled together." I am already in a jeans and fleece rut, and that usually doesn't happen until Feb.!

Oh, and this necklace.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

SueB, I like your list! There is really nothing I "need," and like many others I am at the stage of life where I want experiences more than things - tickets to concerts, great meals, trips, etc. I saw that Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett are coming to my city to perform at a small venue that I love, so I am thinking I might buy tickets for DH and I as part of our Christmas.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

SueB wants to be Eloise!

I have to confess, I used to work with someone who was "to the manor born" and his cleaning person ironed the sheets. I don't even know why one needs their sheets ironed, but of course I have never let on. Probably, I do not have the right kind of sheets, and if I did, the need to iron would be obvious ...

SueB, why don't you find a masseur you like who does house calls and have a standing appointment? It doesn't need to be every week. Not only does it feel good, it's good for you. Especially as we age, which you might some day. : )

• User
    9 years ago

Our sheets are ironed by Somebody Else and it is the last luxury I would protect even if I had to learn to do it myself. There is nothing to compare to the wonderful feeling of ironed sheets and pillowcases. Everyone should try it....and what a fabulous Christmas present, especially for people who don't really want anything else.

SueB, Eloise was a pretty smart cookie! I like your grownup Christmas list :-)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Eloise...LOL. Yes, perfect. Or, maybe I just want to be kswl. :)

I would never iron a sheet but doesn't it seem like those super fancy sheets need to be ironed? I have a set of fancy sheets with a lacy top edge and it comes out of the laundry all wrinkled. I don't care enough to iron it, but if I had a laundress on staff, I'd insist on it.

I do have a membership at a chain massage place here, which means a monthly massage, but I like the way you think, mtn. But I think leaving my house would make for a more relaxing experience (just envisioning doorbell ringing, dogs barking, etc.).

I love giving/getting tickets to things. The year before last, DH gave me (us) two sets of theater tickets. Dreamgirls and Jersey Boys. So fun. This year Santa is giving our family tickets to a local play (and dinner), and he is also giving DD two tickets to see Taylor Swift, which I am actually very excited about. Not only to see her reaction, but to actually go to the show with her (her first concert...plus, I have grown to actually like TS).

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

For Marilyn_Sue's (Kitchen Table) husband to have a miraculously speedy recovery. He's already on the mend, but I'd love it if they didn't have to wait. Truly. I can't think of one thing I need. I keep wishing and thinking, Can't they have a Christmas miracle, please?!

• deegw
    9 years ago

I would LOVE if someone would make me weekly menus of dinners that everyone in my house will eat and a corresponding shopping list so I don't have to run to the store all the time. I don't mind cooking, I hate the planning.

I occasionally iron pillow cases but usually take the sheets right out of the dryer and put them on the bed. They're rumpled but not wrinkled.

A baby would be awesome but then they turn into teenagers and I'm not sure I want to do that again :)

• User
    9 years ago

"A baby would be awesome but then they turn into teenagers and I'm not sure I want to do that again :) "

My mother used to say she would take any child until it went to school and was corrupted by too much contact with other peoples' children. Not a big believer in the benefits of socialization, my mom :-)

I'd take any kid until it mastered the fine art of eye rolling, but I really like other peoples' babies. Best of all, pictures of other peoples' babies.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Dedtired, what kind of car? I would be happy to try to explain the Bluetooth feature to you. (Okay, maybe not explain but to direct you to the correct YouTube clip.)

Merry Christmas!

ML

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I have often thought I'd love to be a volunteer "baby holder" (yes, there is such a thing) at our local Children's Hospital, but of course, they never have openings because it's a very popular gig!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

LOL on sheet ironing. My housekeeper asked us to get an iron (we do not own one) so she could iron our sheets. We told her she did not need to do that. Maybe I should reconsider?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

pesky, I'm with you. There are a whole bunch of annoying things in my house that are inexpensive either new things or replacements that would make me happy, but they are the kind of things I never think about when I'm out, or never bother to get for myself...like replacing my crappy pot holders....or that I don't have a melon baller. One thing I have been asking for, but have never gotten is someone to take my knives and scissors to a place to have them sharpened. That would be such a treat!

dedtired, I cracked up at blue tooth. I too want someone to show me how to use blue tooth in my car...and a new car that has blue tooth to go with it!! :) Actually, given what my GF has been going through with her new vehicle, it would be more like have someone show me how to run the darn thing! I think the manual is almost as large as the RH catalog! I asked DH about getting a new car and he said we can't get one as we wouldn't know how to run it. I can remember when I was working, renting a car and then sitting in it for 10 min trying to figure out how to start it!

I remember my maternal GM ironing sheets and pillowcases and her interminable hankies every afternoon while she watched her stories. Don't know if it was that they needed ironing, or if it was an excuse to watch her stories uninterrupted.

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

Ya can't just iron sheets; they need to be starched, too:) And spray starch doesn't count. I used to send them out to be done (not sure if that service is still offered) but once the kids left home and I had more time, I began doing it myself (not bottom sheet but I do let it air dry which keeps it a little more stiff). Actually, I can easily do them myself in a fraction of the time it takes to run to the laundry to drop them off and back again to pick them up. There are a lot of things I'd give up before I'd give my starched and ironed sheets:).

• bbstx
    9 years ago

AD, your husband's theory may be valid - but you don't have to tell him I said so. ;-) Mom's car is nearly 20 years old but it only has 40,000 miles on it. It is in pristine condition. It has been well maintained - new belts and hoses and tires periodically, not because they are worn out but because they are old and Mom thought they needed changing. Sis and I were encouraging her to buy a new car simply because of the age of her car. A friend pointed out that at Mom's age (87), it is probably better for her to have a car she is familiar with rather than getting a new one. I think she is right.

P.S. Mom also washes her own car - in the back driveway with a hose and a bucket. I said Mom, take your car to be washed! Her response was she does it herself because when she quits doing it herself, then she won't be able to do it herself.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

"Our sheets are ironed by Somebody Else and it is the last luxury I would protect even if I had to learn to do it myself. There is nothing to compare to the wonderful feeling of ironed sheets and pillowcases."

I started ironing my pillowcases and top sheet a couple of years ago and it really is a lovely little luxury. I don't mind; I have a pairing pattern a la Gretchen Rubin's habit forming advice (link below) so once a week I get set up in front of my tv and iron while watching Suze Orman b*tch-slap clueless financial fools :).

Also do the monthly massage membership--love that. In fact during the academic year I up my massages to twice/monthly because it really does make me feel better body and soul.

Last but not least spurred by this topic, I went online and found a silent clock at Amazon so my Christmas gift is on its way! I always have my husband pay for whatever I pick out, so it will be his gift to me. From me. Via him. Whatever, ho ho ho and LOL!

Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Pairing-How to Strenghten a Habit

• User
    9 years ago

Beagles, get her a good, heavy Rowenta iron and prepare to be amazed. If we had room for a mangle I would have put one in when we remodeled the laundry room. Considering the amount of bedding and table linen we go through it would be very practical!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I don't like starched sheets, but I sure like them ironed. I iron the pillowcases and top sheet. The bottom sheet doesn't have any wrinkles after being stretched across the mattress. My favorite night is laundry night when I get to sleep on freshly ironed sheets. I guess I should add a Miele rotary iron to my Christmas wish list. I would love it for the ease of ironing sheets, napkins and tablecloths.

This post was edited by Fun2BHere on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 18:16

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

KSWL, when I bought linen sheets I just had to iron them, they were just too crinkly wrinkly on their own. Now they have to be ironed. I tried to iron the sheets but they are so huge that it's a mess. I have seriously considered calling around to see if I can find someone to do it for me. I could ask my cleaning lady if she would do it but she is worked half to death after she gets home so I don't have the heart to add to her work load even though I would compensate her well.

I was talking with DH about what I will do when my CL decides to retire. He said, "well by that time you will also be retired so you can do it". Hmmmm I told him I would give him up before I gave up a cleaning lady. I was serio....err kidding of course!

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Have you checked with your dry cleaners? Our local cleaner will launder and press table cloths and sheets.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

I shall do that, kswl. My husband is probably going to think we (me and the housekeeper) are both crazy. But he'll probably like it once he experiences the ironed sheets :)

LOL, holly-kay... If I had to choose between the housekeeper or the husband, I'm not sure who would win (J/K... kind of)

• User
    9 years ago

I am such a klutz at ironing that I was always burning myself on the iron. Before HK I would take washed items to be pressed at the dry cleaners. It was as very nearly as expensive as having them laundered there and ironed, but I did not like the idea of our clothing being washed with others'. (Yes, I know hotel sheets and towels are washed in a common laundry, but usually in VERY hot water and often some type of bleach, very different from commercial clothing laundries. )

I am really thankful for our HK and Handy Guy.... Luckily DH knows that we could not live here without those two! Holly Kay, why don't you ask if your lady will iron the sheets a few times as a trial run. If she does a great job perhaps you could pay her for an extra half hour or however long it takes, or cut back on her responsibility in a different area of housekeeping.

Good luck beagles! Your DH is in for a treat!

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Chairs! As we have been spending a lot on remodels and are planning a vacation Husband does not even want to talk about living room chairs. But I am obsessed at the moment. So, all I want is chairs. Two chairs please!

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

There really isn't anything that I want or need. Deluthinbloom, treat yourself to Evesham! Search on eBay for it. My late mother had an extensive collection, which is now mine. I use it for all the holidays and don't mind the hand washing that it requires.

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

My sister insists on getting me something every year and she doesn't like gift cards. I asked for the soundtrack to the Italian film The great beauty. I think the music choices for the film couldn't have been better. Jep was a fun character. The visual images in the film have stayed with me. When I hear the music, it transports me again to that world.

I want to listen to it while I walk around the Huntington. Sometimes it's in my mind while I'm walking there or maybe Mozart or Beethoven. It would be fun to listen to it and see if it's different than letting my mind do it. It's good to be like Jep for a while and spend a day surrounded by beauty. It makes me sad to see visitors rushing through there talking of worries and ignoring the beauty and peace.

I wish the world was that peaceful. Someday maybe.

I liked the wish for common sense too.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

Edited double post that oddly showed up from days ago

This post was edited by pesky1 on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 10:42

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

There was a post a few years ago about ironing sheets--which I missed the first time around because I was ironing my sheets. I would love a mangle. I was never happy with any housekeeper's version of ironed sheets, and I find the process somewhat therapeutic. (DH thinks this is diagnostic of lunacy.) In the absence of a mangle, I use the iron linked below. However, if you can find an iron that can be refilled while in use, you or your housekeeper will be happier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reliable link

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

I would like for DHs medical issues to be totally resolved so we could enjoy life and make plans more than just two days in advance.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Here's a gift I received from a friend and thought I'd share in case anyone was looking for a simple gift.

It's a large mouthed glass jar with a screw on lid. She filled the bottom with red, green, and white shredded paper. The lid is red and she tied a black and white polka dotted ribbon around the neck, with some bling attached. In the jar are small sizes of her favorite pampering products: hand lotion, foot lotion, lip balm, 2 packettes of Biore self heating one minute face mask, and a lovely looking and smelling bar of soap.

It's pretty and useful and not very expensive.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

hhireno thanks for the cute gift suggestion. That should start another thread...
    All I want is the CO for our new house. It has been one trial after another and has taken us four years (DIY) We were on schedule to be in for the holidays and over the summer we began having delays from some of the people we contracted to do things for us. Then My DH had to have hand surgery and had complications.
    We are finished enough for a CO if our inspector cooperates.
    So that's it - just the CO please.

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

fun thread, thanks for starting it Funky.

I asked for golf clubs this year. My old set is from back when dinosaurs roamed the golf courses of North America.

I also asked for one of those iron/steamer thingamajigs so I can iron/steam duvet covers when they are on the bed. Bugs me when they get so wrinkled.

And of course a gal can dream....I asked for my dh to plan and book a river cruise for us. I'm just so busy these days that I can't take the time to figure out the best one for us.

Wishing you ALL a wonderful holiday.

Bee

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I only have two things on my wish list this year. Two story people throws for my family room....

{{gwi:2136265}}

and

{{gwi:2136266}}

I would also really like DH to go in the attic and find the latchhook sun my mom did and hang it up in the stairwell. I am hoping it fits. Today is her birthday so it is reminding me I want that done! :)

• polly929
    9 years ago

DH and I are gifting each other with a long overdue bathroom renovation. It is currently in the planning, design stage. I'm so excited.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

KSWL, I should ask her but I really hesitate to. She is such a sweetheart but has a difficult time saying no. Because I have been kind to her over the years she wouldn't say no even if she would rather chew nails than do it for me. She is older than I am so I am quite worried that she overdoes it as is. I know at some point she won't be able to do the heavier cleaning and I dread finding someone else because I won't have the heart to not keep her on board and that will cause a clash between DH and me.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    9 years ago

A speedy recovery into New Years ;o)
    Happy Holidaze!

• bpath
    9 years ago

One if those quilted down parkas,
    a Vitamix,
    the new Laura Ingalls Wilder book Pioneer Girl,
    and--this is a new addition--a new dishwasher. The old one works just fine, but some tines are broken and the racks are rusting and transferring to some dishes; new racks cost almost what a new dishwasher does. Then yesterday one of the door springs gave out; it's repairable, but it's in a corner so we'd have to slide it all the way out to get to that side, which means (probably) disconnecting it completely, and DH wants to do it ourselves, and we are not extraordinary handy, and I don't have time for that rigmarole. With any luck the motherboard will blow out the day AFTER Christmas so I HAVE to get a new one :)

DEEEE! MENU PLANNING! Sorry for shouting, wanted you to see this: I subscribed to a menu planning service for 7 years, and have been cycling through them for the last several years. It's fabulous! Every week i have a list of 6 dinner menus, recipe for the entree, suggested sides, and a complete ingredient/shopping list. Changed my life, and my family's :) I subscribed to Saving Dinner's Menu Mailer, but there are others.

• User
    9 years ago

"She is older than I am so I am quite worried that she overdoes it as is. I know at some point she won't be able to do the heavier cleaning and I dread finding someone else...."

Holly Kay, this is exactly, eerily, what happened here. Our HK who had been with us for over a decade (and is about 10 years older than i am) was really slowing down and couldn't do the heavier cleaning anymore. She had an operation in November of 2013 in a larger town and was off for almost a year. During that time we had her granddaughter (useless) and trials with several other housekeepers until we finally settled on a service that is excellent, and our dear HK came back to do laundry, ironing, marketing and some cooking. Just a few days each week. It has been heaven having her back, helping at parties and planning meals.... I too dread the day when she is unable to work at all, not just because I will miss her help but because I will miss HER.

• deegw
    9 years ago

bp - Thanks so much for the menu planning info. I will be sure to check it out.

Good luck with breaking your dishwasher :)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

KSWL, that is exactly how I feel about my dear CL. She has become a treasured friend and she would move heaven and earth for me, and I for her. I can tell that she just doesn't have the same energy but she HAS to work. In all the years that she has been working for us she has only missed several days due to illness and one operation where she was off for six weeks. We always pay her for her days off because finances are very strained for her.

• bpath
    9 years ago

You're welcome! My kids were young when I started this...the impetus came when my 7-yr-old asked "Mom, are we having chicken or fish with the rice and peas tonight?" True story, that was our nightly meal! Now he's 21. The menus included things we liked, and things I didn't think the kids would like but they did! And the occasional dish we didn't like so well. I "rated" them with smileys so when I pulled a week's worth out again, i could skip or remember to doctor them as needed (like reducing the amount of cumin, etc.)

It saved me money, too, because i used everything on the list, no waste, and DH took leftovers to work.

Warning, the Saving Dinner gal has gone paleo herself, and is more outspoken about food source than before. But the menus still seem great. And there's more flexibility than when I subscribed, when it was a simple multi-page email.

Thanks for the good/bad wishes on the dishwasher. It now makes a funny noise when i press the controls, so things are looking up. But it cannot fail until AFTER Christmas. And it absolutely cannot leak.

Happy cooking!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Happy dance! Happy dance! I got a boning knife! My little sister is THE BEST at listening and remembering, even when it is an off-hand comment.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath