Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Do you have a "go-to" source for health advice?

dedtired
9 years ago

I was looking for books on the topic of health at the library today. I started out looking for Andrew Weil, but he is so into supplements, etc. He also promotes his own products. I'm leery of those touting their own goods.

I like Jane Brody of The New York Times. She gives good solid, well thought out advice.

Don't even mention Dr. Oz, the charlatan.

Do you have someone in particular you turn to for advice on health, in particular healthy eating? Mark Bittmann? Michael Pollan?

Comments (22)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Consumer Reports on Health. They are as unbiased and authoritative as you will find. And they aren't trying to sell you anything. I've read their monthly newsletter for 20-25 yrs.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Mayo Clinc. Find them on the web at mayoclinic.org. Best information, objective, logically presented.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Center for Science in the Public Interest....they publish a Nutrition Action Letter. Though I don't always agree with them, they back it up with actual studies and reference who sponsored the study. They combined a bunch of healthy diets to come up with the omniheart diet...the best of the best.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nutrition Action Letter.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All great suggestions. Funny, I didn't think of the newsletters, just books. My mom has subscribed to Nutrition Action Newsletter for years. I should ask her to save it for me.

I always go to Mayo Clinic for online info. Prefer it to WebMD.

Any others?

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Before I head to my doctor, I'm with kswl and check the Mayo Clinic website. I've always heard WebMD wasn't a great source. Granted my hubby is a pretty good source too as he was a med tech and EMT in the Army Reserves for years and is into healthy eating. His family all are interested in medicine and are a wealth of information. His sisters are nurses. one registered.

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

For medical conditions, medication info, etc I use UpToDate (for a fee). I don't use anything in particular for general health info as I think what I need to know is now common knowledge to me. I'm not into the latest herd mentality food, supplement or exercise trend or gimmick. I just stick to the time tested fundamentals.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Up To Date is a great source and as Gibby pointed out it's a paid service. DH's medical office had a subscription and he said it was a handy reference tool for a quick 'update' on a topic. I used it a few times but found that I still needed DH to interpret most of the information.

I've also found the Mayo Clinic to be helpful and easy to use.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Prevention Mag?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If you are interested in an unbiased source of info around supplements....

Here is a link that might be useful: Examine.com

• jmc01
    9 years ago

My cousin, a doctor. Her ex-husband, also a doctor. Mayo Clinic.org. My doctor at Mayo.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If you or anyone you know are dealing with cancer, I can't recommend cancergrace.org enough. Full of great information including oncologists who volunteer their time to personally answer your questions. Quite a resource.

(Global Resource for Advancing Cancer Education)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cancer Grace

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No cancer, thank God, although I am certain that every little twinge is the beginning of something worse. Aren't we all?

Just looking for a voice of sanity in the nutrition / exercise / lifestyle wilderness.

It's interesting that so many of your suggestions are the tried and true sources. Back to basics and always consider the source. The Examine site is interesting and I like their point of view about what to look at first -- diet, exercise and sleep.

Thanks for you input.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I follow these folks on Twitter:

Mark Bittman (got his cookbook for Xmas--it is huge!)
    Michael Pollan
    Marion Nestle
    Dean Ornish MD
    Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI)
    Marla Heller (DASH diet)
    Richard Louv (last child in the woods, "Nature deficit disorder")
    Children and Nature Network
    Prevention Institute (healthy living policy, systems, environments PSE)
    Change Lab Solutions (helathy living PSE)
    American College of Sports Medicine
    Healthy People 2020
    Pew Research
    FoodDay
    Jamie Oliver
    Allere Wellbeing (health promotion)
    Dean Witherspoon (health promotion/Health Enhancement Systems)
    TED Talks
    CDC Obesity
    Trust for America's Health
    Active Living Research
    America Walks
    League of American Bicyclists
    Partnership for a Healthier America

I also follow some professional colleagues in these areas and some local and regional agencies related to my work.

Edited to mention that even if you don't use Twitter, most of these people/organizations also have a good web presence.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by gsciencechick on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 10:45

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Thanks gsciencechick. I added a few to my list.

I would add:

Dr McDougall ( I love that his program is free on his website and so are his boards)
    True North (would love to go there some day!)
    Dr Esselstyn
    Jeff Novick, MS, RD
    Dr Furhman
    Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
    Neal Barnard, M.D

and some misc ones...:

FoodBabe
    100 days of real food
    Chef AJ

I think this was brought up here last year and became contentious. Glad to see it is not this year!

• awm03
    9 years ago

Tara Parker-Pope. She is the"Well" blog editor & writer for the NYTimes and was formerly the health editor for the Wall Street Journal. She writes with balance and can discern a well-designed study from the bad ones. Melinda Beck,the health editor at the Wall Street Journal, is good too.

For keeping abreast of nutrition science, I subscribe to the U. Cal. Berkeley Wellness Newsletter

This post was edited by awm03 on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 11:04

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, thanks for all of these. I will look at several of them and then try to find a maximum of three to stick with. There is just so much out there and it's easy to get lost in all the info.

I did "like' a few on Facebook and am finding their posts to be useful, esp Berkeley Wellness.

• gnuhomeblues
    9 years ago

Besides all the other great ones mentioned don't forget Dr. Mercola. He has an informative website and a sign-up weekly newsletter to follow, with the emphasis away from prescription remedies and more towards healthy eating.

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

Sorry, I can't agree with the Mercola recommendation

Many of MercolaâÂÂs musings clash ��" sometimes bitterly ��" with conventional medical wisdom. Mercola advises against immunization, water fluoridation, mammography, and the routine administration of vitamin K shots for newborns.

The medical community says Mercola is dangerous, and that he steers patients away from proven medical treatments in favor of unproven therapies and supplements.

âÂÂThe information heâÂÂs putting out to the public is extremely misleading and potentially very dangerous,â says Dr. Stephen Barrett, who runs the medical watchdog site Quackwatch.org. âÂÂHe exaggerates the risks and potential dangers of legitimate science-based medical care, and he promotes a lot of unsubstantiated ideas and sells [certain] products with claims that are misleading.âÂÂ

Mercola has been the subject of a number of Food and Drug Administration warning letters about his activities, including marketing products as providing âÂÂexceptional countermeasuresâ against cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and a host of other illnesses. He also has marketed coconut oil to treat heart disease, CrohnâÂÂs disease, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Mercola.com also sold an infrared camera to be used as a cancer screening tool.

Here is a link that might be useful: about Dr Mercola

This post was edited by terriks on Fri, Jan 2, 15 at 16:28

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I agree to avoid dr. mercola....I like to read his stuff to see what he says, but I find he's probably got a valid point only about 20% of the time. The rest of the time, he's off the edge.

• awm03
    9 years ago

I found out about the Berkeley Wellness Newsletter when I worked in the periodicals room in our high school library. It is considered a reliable, evidence-based source for health/nutrition information. It generally advises a good dose of skepticism with the latest nutrition fads & supplements -- usually because of lack of measurable results -- but is also quick to say if studies have proven promising or are simply inconclusive. Good recipes & exercise info too.

• amy stivens
    last year

More veggies and fruits and less junks - my only advice!

• maire_cate
    last year

only a 7 year old post.......

Sponsored
Halcyon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Charlottesville's Leading General Contractor & Design Build Firm