Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queenofmycastle0221

Christmas Dinner

After much deliberation, I approached my parents and requested that we celebrate Christmas at my home vs theirs. It was truly hard to take the tradition away from where had always had it however their health has truly taken a toll this year. My middle sister has moved in there and they have my 4 yr old nephew and 6 yr old niece there for two weeks. I wanted them to be able to come and relax here on that special day. I served a traditional Thanksgiving meal with all the trimmings so was thinking of doing a finger food type menu so that it wouldn't seem like anyone was getting leftovers as the celebration progressed.

Now I am second guessing I feel like I just don't have enough items on my list or not the right ideas.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Comments (14)

• jlj48
    10 years ago

We always have turkey with numerous sides for Thanksgiving with no breakfast (to save room :) So for Christmas, we have a big breakfast and a ham mid afternoon with a few simple sides and a nice dessert. I always try to make the sides different than what we had a Thanksgiving. We tend to do some finger foods on Christmas Eve. I think it's great that you're caring for your parents in this way and being so sensitive about what your traditions have always been. In the end, it doesn't really matter. It's just important to be together.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I think changing it up and not trying to exactly recreate the old traditions is the best idea. New venue, new menu, new traditions but the same old, loving crowd. Sounds great. And your parents can be honored guests.

If you're concerned about which dishes to make, if you list your menu here I'm sure you'll get some input.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

For the first time switch Christmas switch from your parents' house to yours, I would lean towards trying to keep with what they are used to. This is based on how the older people in my family would react. I recall my mother going into a crying event when we tried to change the type of soup one year.

Maybe there is more to the story that isn't mentioned, but I don't understand why having a normal sit down dinner would make anyone feel like they were getting leftovers.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I agree with graywings. For the first time away from their home, I would keep it traditional. Although changing things is fun (and you could always insert a few 'new' traditions), you don't want them feeling that it was fun, but didn't feel like Christmas. I think is also confirms that what they have been doing has become a treasured tradition that will be passed on to future generations.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I like to keep Christmas dinner easy because I'm usually so exhausted by Christmas Day the last thing I want to do is spend hours in the kitchen. We have had grilled steaks with baked potato, salad, rolls. Last year I did a honey baked ham and even bought a few of their sides. DH bought a turkey breast for this year so it looks like it will be a little more involved but he has volunteered to do the bulk of it. DD wanted pasta for one of the meals so I am doing lasagne Christmas Eve but can make that ahead. I'm not much into baking either but for some reason this year found several cookie recipes I wanted to try so cookies and ice cream for dessert. I say the easier and simpler the better..it's such a hectic time of year and worrying about preparing fancy meals just adds to the stress, unless you absolutely love doing it.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Neuroscience studies say that we have "taste recognition" and it's one of the most important forms of memory. Particular tastes can be associated with love, safety, happiness, sickness, sadness, etc.

I would definitely serve some of the same food your parents served since those tastes are associated with the holiday at their home. It would make for a much easier transition - not just for them but for everyone.

• queenofmycastle0221
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I truly appreciate the feedback. When I referred to traditional I didn't necessarily mean our tradition. Lol. My family is a bit on the strange side and truthfully the only thing "traditional" for the holiday was getting together at some point thru the holiday. Last year we did the full turkey meal but my sister and husband showed up two hours late. His family obligations always seemed more important than ours. I had thought that a finger food menu wouldn't require that everything be hot and ready to serve at one time so it wouldn't matter if they were late. My mil lives alone and dh only sibling moved across the country so their traditions will require tweaking as well. She will be here with us on Christmas Eve but will leave on Christmas Day to sit with her mother so the caregiver will be able to enjoy family time. Sorry for so much info.

My concern with a finger food meal will be making it filling. I debated Chili along with it or sandwiches. I just don't want anyone to leave hungry. Hope that makes sense!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm making a pork loin roast with cranberries in the crock pot, so it will wait for us, whenever we're ready.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I loved the year I did a pork loin with cranberry orange glaze.. it was lovely and delicious (though I didnt use the crock pot). My family often does small plates and appetizers for our christmas eve celebration. It works well for everyone.. especially those who generally eat early. Even when we do a meal we always keep it light and have a wide array of appetizers and I think there'd be an uproar if we didnt. This year we'll have a ham, pear and parmesan salad, macaroni and cheese, I'll be bringing grilled scallops wrapped in bacon and sliced spirals of chicken stuffed with spinach and parmesan... and not sure what other appetizers just yet.

Christmas eve is our big celebration. We have breakfast Christmas morning and then usually leftovers Christmas night!

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

" I say the easier and simpler the better..it's such a hectic time of year and worrying about preparing fancy meals just adds to the stress, unless you absolutely love doing it. "

Amen! I will be putting out spanakopita and cheese sticks which are pre-made thanks to Costco, and some hummus/pita chips/raw veggies for appetizers.

Steaks are the main entree and I'm letting my BIL the carnivore grill master cook those. I will also broil some crab-stuffed lobster tails and mahi for the non meat eaters. Baked potatoes, a big salad, steamed green beans, warm sliced multi grain baguettes, and we're all set. I'm making a key lime pie and carrot cake for dessert and I think a couple of folks are bringing cupcakes and cheesecake. Easy, most can be pre-made or fixed quickly and hopefully I will accomplish my goal of actually enjoying the holiday I'm hostessing!

Ann

• golddust
    10 years ago

Thirty plus at my house and I'm getting a jump on food prep. I made my red sauce for Eggplant Parmesan yesterday as it will keep and just get better. This helps because it's an all day sauce. DH grated the Parmesan last night. It's such an involved dish but I'd be fired from hosting if it wasn't part of Christmas. DH tries to help any way he can. Hopefully he knows how to vacuum.

Friday morning we hosted our Christmas party for our employees I made Frittatas and Mimosas. When we put the leafs in our new table , we realized that we overlooked the need for a new tablecloth. Well, finding a tablecloth for a 60" X 108" table is no easy feat. This problem has not been solved. Not even a sheet will work. We are taking on the challenge today and heading out of town. We may have to get really creative.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Went to an xmas party last night at GFs and they had so much food...everyone walked in the door with a plate of something and the next thing you know the entire table and island are full of food and drink.

I can't remember all of it, but there was shrimp cocktail, and the boule rye bread full of spinach dip with a side of raw veggies, someone dipped strawberries in chocolate which were soooo good. There were meat balls and salmon dip and almond puff, and chocolate frosted brownies and several plates of cookies. I brought my white choc chip, macadamia and cranberry cookies. There was bacon wrapped scallops and a cold cut platter with rye bread, 4 or 5 different dips and chips.

In addition to beer and wine and punch which could be punched up and other drinks, they came out with "screaming nazis" which is Jaegermeister and Rumple Minze peppermint schnapps....served in a liqueur glass, goes down so smooth, but it will knock you on your butt.

It was great fun.

• nhbaskets
    10 years ago

My family celebrates on Christmas Eve, all 25 of us. Ease in entertaining is the key so we go with Italian dishes that can be prepared ahead and popped in the oven. I've been making a wonder Ina Garten portobello lasagna the past few years along with a traditional lasagna and a baked zita. Mac and cheese for the kids, salad, garlic bread and it's a meal.

Us kids took over hosting Christmas Eve from my parents when they were in their 70's. This year our oldest son will be hosting for the first time. Great to see the next generation jumping in.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Absolutely head to the fabric store, golddust, and buy decorator fabric (usually 54" wide though some will be wider) in the length you need. Then use a glue gun or fabric glue or stitch witchery which is iron on sticky stuff, to hem up the ends...you can just leave the selvedge edge on the long sides as it won't ravel. I sew, so I stitched my hems yesterday on my tablecloth which is 3 yards long. It only took a few minutes to do.