Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

Another gift suggestion thread- (for a housekeeper)

We want to give our two house keepers (a mother and daughter team) gifts for christmas, and I am out of ideas. Things we've done in the past:

- high tea gift certificates
- a spa gift certificate
- a kindle e-reader
- cash

They have been w/ our family for 3 years and we do x-mas and birthday gifts every year (they come 3 times a week and take care of our house totally). I'd prefer a gift, rather than cash.

Any ideas ?

This post was edited by beaglesdoitbetter on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 19:59

Comments (20)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

What has been the response to the other gifts? Did they rave about how great the spa was, etc.? I would let their responses guide you.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We just gave the spa gift cert. for a birthday, she hasn't gone yet, so I don't want to do that again.

I think they've liked everything we've given... but are they going to tell me if they haven't? Probably not. I'd like to do something new and different...

• jlc712
    9 years ago

It is difficult to say without really understanding your relationship-- but I think most people in "service" industries really may prefer cash, or gift cards, that they can use toward something they truly need or want.

You may feel like that is impersonal-- maybe a small gift and money?

• ellendi
    9 years ago

They would probably prefer cash, but I do understand why you would like to give them an actual gift.
    Are there specialty markets nearby? Fresh Market or even Whole Foods? Stores they might not necessarily shop in, but would enjoy going to for themselves or for gifts for people on their own Christmas list.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I was wondering if they seemed to "really, really " like one of the gifts. Like they raved about it. I do also agree that many people prefer cash. Maybe a combo of cash and a small gift like a tea sampler if they are tea drinkers, or nice chocolate if you know they like it.

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

I agree that a small personalized gift along with a gift card to a favorite/frequented shop of theirs or money would be a good choice. I like to always give some gift along with a gift card, just so it doesn't come across as so generic.

If you're completely opposed to a gift card or cash, then what about tickets to performance/show.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Small gift plus cash.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Aren't cash bonuses the norm at Xmas for people in the service industry? Cash can be of such help at this time of year, a real blessing.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

I always give mine cash.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Is this a gift, or an annual bonus? I know it can vary greatly by region, but in our area, household help usually gets a bonus of one to two week's salary (depending on duration of employment). Among people we know with household help of all kinds, that is pretty much expected.

Above that, I think it can be whatever strikes your fancy (with a gift receipt). What do you know about them personally? Are their brands they seem to favor? Hobbies that they have? I do agree it is always nice to supplement the monetary with the personal. Even a batch of cookies from you (if that was your thing) or something you hand make...?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I give my cleaning lady a two week bonus.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A little more detail. They aren't really in the "service" industry per se. Ours is the only house they take care of. We hired the daughter 3 years ago to do part time work three times a week. She got another job this year and brought her retired mom in to do our house so her mom could make some extra money and now mom comes 3x a week and she comes once a week.

I could give cash, but I'd really like to do something more unique or creative. They give us a gift every year (which is never cash), so it is really more of a gift exchange with people who help us out around the house.

With that in mind, any other ideas for a unique/ creative gift. Something more along the lines of getting them something they wouldn't buy or do for themselves (I like the idea of tickets to a show or performance and will see if there is something in our area).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Not sure what you mean - that is in the service industry. We have a woman who does the grocery shopping and cooks on weeknights, and helps chauffeur our kids. We are the only family she works for; she is in the service industry. Our cleaning people come 2 days a week, the other 3 days they go to other homes. They are in the service industry.

All I am saying is, and I think if you ask around you will find this to be the case, that people who regularly work in your home or garden or care for children are typically given an annual bonus, of 1-2 weeks' salary. That is usually more significant than a gift, thus the gift need not and should not be cash. But first and foremost, unless for some reason it is simply not done in your area (?), i would start paying them bonuses.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

What mtn said--this isn't a gift exchange between friends. These people are performing a service for you, in an employee-employer relationship. Give them cash, not items you think make nice gifts. Guaranteed they will be much happier to receive money than stuff. Not sure why you're even in a quandary, this seems entirely evident...and it's interesting this is the rare topic that is getting a unanimous response!

I give my housekeeper cash equal to what I pay her per session along with a small token gift. If I had to drop one of those, I'd ditch the gift and give her the money.

Ann

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I get my housekeeper a small gift and give a bonus. This year she moved into her brother's place and she couldn't get rid of the smell of smoke in the carpets and was planning to rent a heavy cleaning machine to do them herself. When I heard of this plan I called our carpet cleaner and arranged for him to steam clean her place thoroughly at our expense. She was very happy with that gift and we ended up giving her the regular bonus anyway. She is in the service industry but she's also a friend and someone I try to look after.

Adding, she has worked for us for more than 12 years so our relationship with her may be a bit different.

This post was edited by kswl on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 21:38

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. I guess I'm outvoted :)

I think of the "service industry" as like people like merry maids or something. Like my cleaning lady in our FL house, she comes and cleans and leaves, cleaning houses is her only job, and we don't really chat. This is a much friendlier relationship.

No one I know who has household help in our area gives them an annual cash bonus. Everyone does gifts, which are sometimes cash and sometimes other things. When we've done cash gifts in the past, the gifts have been equal to around a week's salary though... So I guess you could call it a bonus...

Edited to add- I like what kswl did with the carpet cleaning, giving something that was something useful, but also more personal than just handing off an envelope of cash. I wish I could think of something like that...

This post was edited by beaglesdoitbetter on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 21:45

• sas95
    9 years ago

We give cash and a small gift. The cash is generally needed and appreciated. The gift is something a little extra, because our housekeeper has been with us for years and we want to do something nice for her kids. If you are choosing one or the other, they will always be happier with the cash.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

To me, a Merry Maids is kind of the opposite end of the spectrum (though I don't know, haven't used them), whereas someone who works for you, especially exclusively, is almost like an employee IKYKWIM.

One idea is you could give them a Florida trip; let them use your house and offer them tickets (which can be pretty reasonable if you are flexible or maybe you have miles?) That may be too nice! Or they think they need to clean the FL house while they are there, LOL

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mtnrdredux that is an AWESOME idea.

We've offered them the house before to use whenever they want it, but never with tickets paid for...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Oh good, I am glad I came up with something for you!