Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_thrifty

about haircuts

ms-thrifty
10 years ago

am I the only person who hates getting a haircut? Luckily I live in a large metropolitan area, because if I am lucky enough to find someone who cuts it the way I want, by the 3rd time I go to the same person I end up with a bad cut. So I keep going to different places. Have had good and bad at expensive salons, and good and bad at places like Supercuts. So it is definitely not "you get what you pay for". One day I said to DH, you think the way I put off getting haircuts it is painful or something...then come to think it is sometimes is as I get my ears burned with the blow dryer. Just because I have big ears is no excuse to burn them,, right?
Just my rant for the day, as I am getting ready to go to a Christmas party and my hair looks awful..oh well, I have a great outfit to wear, so will be fine..

Comments (31)

• jmc01
    10 years ago

With the exception of 9 yrs when I lived in other states, I have had the same hairdresser for 33 yrs and she has been the only person who has cut my hair. We first met when I called the local department store and asked for anyone to give me a cut, that day. I've had long hair, super short hair and in between. Layers, blunt, bangs, no bangs. She has given my stick straight hair multiple perms.

We have grown up together and no one else will cut my hair as long as she keeps working. We're friends and I love getting haircuts and visiting with her.

sorry you haven't been so lucky.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I too have traveled far and wide and although I have had better luck than you, it seems eventually I move on to someone else.
    I have become a bit more proactive. I know how I want my hair to be cut, I remind the stylist each time and I always take a picture of myself after I get my hair cut so I can use it as a reference for the next time if need be.

• mary_lu_gw
    10 years ago

I wear my hair short and dislike it getting overly long. So have pre-scheduled trims every three weeks. My thinking was that way the style of the cut would not be so grown out and would be easy to maintain. Nope, sometimes it is good, and others I feel like a sheep who has been sheared!

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I just had my haircut by Edward Scissorhands.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I hate getting my hair cut and every time I do, it's a crap shoot. I go to supercuts with sr. discount and take who ever is available. Part of it is, I only go to places that charge the same for men and women. It irks me no end that my haircut is no more difficult than a man's, but many places want to charge me more.

I've had expensive cuts go lousy and cheap cuts go great. One of the worst cuts I've gotten was at a very expensive place where they even train hair cutting. It was bad, paper bag bad. I've never found anyone I like enough to stick with over time. And I hate spending money on my hair as it's such a transient effect... Many times I trim my own hair in between so I don't have to go so often. If I could take my head off and cut my own hair myself, I would.

I also give DH his hair cuts...he hasn't been to a barber in decades. The clippers I bought have been one of the best investments we ever made.

I have a coupon for a new place...$4.95 for a haircut...they may be my next stop....

• graywings123
    10 years ago

There is a difference between a bad haircut and a haircut you don't like. Getting a haircut that you like is a matter of communication. You need to know the terminology and you need to tell the stylist what you want each and every time you walk in the door.

Think of the amount of time that passes between your cuts - a month or more - and the number of haircuts that stylist does during that time - it could be a hundred or more. You are just one more head in the crowd and he or she doesn't have your preferences memorized (although a good stylist will write it down).

Do you want a bob cut? Do you want your bangs (fringe) cut a certain way or length. Undercut in back? Learn the terminology so you can tell the stylist what you want.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Fortunately I have a good hairdresser I've been going to for probably close to 25 years so I don't hate getting a haircut. Sometimes if I'm in the midst of changing styles it can take a couple tries to get to something I like but other than that I'm always pretty happy with my cut.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I've been going to the same guy for as long as I can remember. I live in fear of the day he stops working. Luckily, he doesn't have any full retirement plans, he has limited his hours but he still works. It seems unlikely that I'll ever find another perfect fit like he is.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

graywings, describing a haircut is like describing a color...unless you both see it, the error in communication can be wide. I've asked for a pixie cut so many times and every time it comes out different as it means different things to different stylists. I've been very specific about how I want my points, how I want the back, how I want it layered, how I want my bangs done and it comes out different every time. (One time I told the stylist I want it layered evenly all over meaning no wedge or ledge and she took it as an insult and said, "I only layer hair evenly!")

One time I told the girl specifically where I want my points to end...as she's cutting along, I feel her cut one side too short...then we were stuck and had to match the other side to it.

Another time I said I want the hair cut over my ears, and she thought I meant covering the ears when I meant above the ears...at least that could be fixed. And I've learned to be more specific since.

Then again, I do like to wear my hair shorter in the summer as it goes so curly in the humidity, and longer in the winter as it is warmer on my head, so the haircut I want isn't the same every time either.

The whole thing is very frustrating.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I love my hairdresser! She does a great job on my hair, each and every time. It is very rare that there is something about a haircut from her that I do not like. She also always tells me to come back if there is something I do not like, if it needs to be thinned more, if I want it shorter, etc. I have never had the need to do that, but if you do, there is no charge. She also cuts my husband's hair. She just found out she is pregnant, and I dread her going on maternity leave!!! We've both been going to her for several years.

tina

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I used to dread having to make an appointment for a cut and often took my chances at First Choice or other walk-in inexpensive salons. I've found cost does not enter into the quality of the cut and I often would get a quick cut when we traveled and was mostly satisfied with the result. In over 50 years of getting professional haircuts as an adult there are maybe 10 hairdressers memorable for their expertise. Most either moved or I did. I now have one who is unlikely to move and who does what I want. There is another who was on mat. leave last year who is also good for back-up.

At the salon I go to they will recut without charge if one is unsatisfied altho I've only done that once and it wasn't my fault as there was a 3rd party opinion involved of which I was unaware.

Years ago we lived near a college with a school of hairdressing and my DD and I got the best cuts and perms there. The girls were very well supervised and listened to what we wanted. Best value I've ever found. I also occasionally went to DH's barber for a good cut.

Annie, I also had difficulty with getting the pixie cut I wanted even tho I printed out pics from the internet and thoroughly described what I wanted. I do think it depends, to a certain extent, on the type of hair one has. A pixie cut on someone with thick hair will look different than with my thinning, fine hair. I always ask for âÂÂheavily layeredâ and a messy look to get what I want. Even then this style requires product to look best which I dislike using so my hair rarely looks as it does when I leave the salon. Still, it is an easy-care style I can wash daily and sometimes only finger comb. My hair grows slowly and I sometimes hack my bangs so only go every few months. I dread the day I tire of this style as I expect it will be a challenge to again get the look I want.

I always tip well and give a new hairdresser 3 tries unless the first cut is really bad. It's only hair and it grows out.

• User
    10 years ago

I didn't read any of the responses.

I dislike taking the time to go get my hair cut. It honestly also bugs me that I have to pay for something I know how to do for other people but can't on myself.
    My hair needs cut about every 5 weeks and it takes 1 1/2hr (total including drive time) of my time that I'd rather be doing something else.
    I like my hairdresser but she's been having more off months than good ones lately. I know my cut is tedious to do and the way I style it leaves no room for error, but that's no excuse for not following the guidelines from the last 'good' cut.

Wanting something done right is different than being picky. I do tip well.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by sheesharee on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 21:07

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Since I went long with my hair, I only get it cut about 3 times a year at most but still it's a chore to actually go.
    I use great clips with a coupon!, how wrong can you go with long hair? and enjoy the guessing game of "who will I get" each time. The stylist with long purple fingernails was so nice and the ones who look mean often turn out to be the sweetest. They all like working with my hair which is one of my best features and I am never picky.
    Love being a walk-in.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I had my hair done just before Thanksgiving-new cut and full head highlights. I was fed up with my last stylist-she was just getting too sloppy, So I asked a gal at work who has the most beautiful hair where she goes and I made an appointment. But I told the gal that I wanted someone who would pay attention to me and why I was done with my last stylist.

Even before she touched my head we had a long discussion of my expectations, and I barely needed to tell her what i wanted done-she knew instinctively! We actually have the same type of hair-thick, wavy and on the dry side. So she knew just how to cut it, and the color job-OH MY! I looked 10 years younger! She also knew that I don't use any product on my hair, I blow dry and go-when I DO wash my hair, which is maybe once a week. Any sooner than that it dries out too much.

She apologized for the cost, which I thought was fair for what I got done, In my market, at the better salons, a cut is around $45, she used to work at a small salon in a small town and cuts were less than $20. I refuse to go to Great Clips or Supercuts-here they are HORRIBLE. Also the Regis salons here are crummy too. So I do spend the $ for a cut I am happy with. But my DH goes to the cheap places and I've even gone back with him before to make them fix it. How can you mess up a mans hair??

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I live in 3 different places through the year so as much as I plan my hair tints and cuts to be at my favourite hairdresser it does not always work out that way, so I aim for being 90% happy with what I get.

Yesterday I let my hair air dry and it looked fine so that for me is a sign of a good haircut. My hair is thick and straight and as long as I keep it short it behaves well.

My colour tends to get muddled over time since I don't get the same colour brand all the time but I have to live with that.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Reminded me of my old sec'y who had long straight hair below her shoulders. She was so unhappy with how they cut her hair, so I told her to let me try. There we were in my office at lunch time, me cutting her hair. She liked it so much that I did her hair regularly until she had her baby and left.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I have been going to the same stylist for maybe 4 years now; prior to that, I went to the same guy for maybe 10 years, with a break somewhere in the middle when I tried to change but ended up going back to him after about a year. With the guy I had before, I felt that he stopped listening to what I wanted and just did what he wanted. We had gotten too familiar and friendly and I think he THOUGHT he knew what I wanted regardless of what I said. Hm, kinda like a husband at times. With my current stylist, we have become very friendly and we chat nonstop when I'm there, and I think that has become a distraction. I used to think she was a brilliant stylist but now I think she loses her focus because we're chatting too much. For the first time in my life, I went back a week after my last cut and asked her to fix the back because there was a weird "bump" there. I have a very hard time "breaking up" with a stylist though, and I like this one so much, I'm going to give her at least 1-2 more chances.

One issue I've had is that my stylist is very traditional (even though she's 10 years younger than me) and whenever I ask for something "a little more edgy", she can't seem to do it. I'm not talking about anything crazy, just extra short at the back or something.

I do find that it is really helpful to bring a picture, or several pictures. I will even bring pics of what I do NOT want!

I do get a lot of compliments on my hair so I guess she's doing something right ;)

P.S. Pinterest is a great resource for haircut pics!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

I find it interesting the comments on men's haircuts being simpler. I think men's haircuts are a pain in the patootie and DH is the most picky on his hair and will never go to a salon claiming that they just do not know how to cut a man's hair and are afraid to take the guard off. The shorter the hair, the less margin for error and getting the fade right in back? I tried cutting my boys hair but DH would fuss so much in the end it was easier to take them in.

Most of the time I cut and color my own hair. I get too antsy sitting in the chair with color at the salon. As for the cut, fortunately, my hair is wavy/curly so it hides the lack of perfection and it certainly would win no style awards but it works for me for now. Not to mention, the price is right.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Oh boy did I learn the hard way. I went to a stylist and we started chatting and somehow the subject came to naming her baby about which there was a big to do in the family. She got so steamed, she overcooked my perm and then so chopped up my hair, it was a total disaster.

Now I sit silently or talk only about the haircut.

I had another stylist who kept trimming and trimming and trimming and finally said to me, y'know I'm going to keep cutting until you tell me to stop. So I said STOP! Like how am I supposed to see what she's doing back there, esp with no glasses on!

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Got a great cut and color this week and left the salon feeling very fortunate after reading this thread......

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Trying to explain a haircut is as difficult as trying to explain a hair color. I now take my iPad with a picture. iPhone works too, but the bigger the pic, the clearer the idea.

• User
    10 years ago

I get my hair cut every three weeks, like clockwork. If the cut is a little off one time it's not long til the next one. The same great guy has done my hair for the last 11 years, and had one woman before that for six years before that who was even better when she wasn't using (drugs).

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Years ago, my room mate was getting all dressed up to go get her hair cut. I asked her why she was getting all dolled up when her outfit would just get covered in hair. She replied that she felt that if she showed up looking blah, she would get a blah haircut. She said that she wanted the stylist to know that she cared about her appearance so that she would cut her hair accordingly. Not sure if it works, but ever since I have tried to look my best when I go the salon.

• ms-thrifty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for so much response here! I have tried many ot the suggestions above-have taken print out of styles I found on the internet-always sound like a broken record when I keep saying loud and clear-I don't want it to turn under-and mostly these words fall on deaf ears. Now the worst lately, when I say I want it not to turn under they take those big flat heat iron things and flatten it down-Then I come out looking like a skinny head. I have very fine hair, but it is not thin-have been told I have a nice thick head of hair,,maybe this is the problem..also back when I wore it in just a bob it was better--now that I like it sort of rumpled, shaggy, no one "gets" it. They look at the photos I bring and shrug. Next time someone shrugs, I am going to just get up and leave..So even the expensive salons seem to have stylists that can only do the basic type cuts.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Ah yes, stylists. Like the one who spent my entire hair cut trying to convert me...or the one who spent it telling me all about her cocaine addiction....

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Keep trying ms-thrifty. There are great stylists out there and you will find the right one for you. I, too, have thick, fine hair with just enough wave to make it look messy (not curly) and I think that must be very hard to work with. In my life, I've found two stylists who can cut it so it looks nice. One moved away and the other I am still with. I recently tried someone new, just because I couldn't get into my regular stylist (of course, she's so good, she is booked solid). I've spent weeks looking like Keith Partridge and am hoping she can work a miracle - luckily she is not one to hold a grudge if I try someone new.

• suero
    10 years ago

I got a great haircut from a friend of the family. Unfortunately, it's expensive to go to London for a haircut.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

The flat iron thing Ms. Thrifty...yes. Either leave looking like a skinny head or leave looking like a helmet head.

This is my most recent experience in the quest to find my stylist "match". Can't wait to get home and stick my head in the sink!

I don't know how they make any profit with the amount of carp they put on your head. Even if you say "I use very little product", they use giant handfuls of white poofy stuff. And I only have a handful of hair.

It sounds like many of us have the same issues with our hair ;-)

• camlan
    10 years ago

I have fine hair, but a lot of it. Just enough wave so it won't do straight styles, but not enough to give body to any sort of wavy style. And several cowlicks that make things even more interesting.

My problem is that I want a style I can deal with at home and still have my hair look okay. I end up with a good cut, but I can't style it at home the way they do in the salon, so I have lackluster hair all the time.

The stylists tease it--I simply cannot figure out how to do this and not have my hair look like a bird's nest. They manage to get lift into my hair that lasts all day; I can get lift that lasts for half an hour or until I go outdoors and encounter a mild breeze.

But when you go in and say, I want a style that works with thin, fine hair all the time, and doesn't need a ton of product or more than 10 minutes of styling a day, they promise that, but they deliver the exact opposite.

I keep reading articles that talk about working with the hair you have, but the stylists clearly are reading something different.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I have fine, thin, straight hair. Yuck. I teach, so I don't have a lots of time to fuss with it and often just pull it back. I am tired of spending the going rate in this area ($60-100) for a simple blunt cut that looks the same no matter what. I am no longer willing to drive into Georgetown anymore. It is just too much of a hassle even though I really do like the guy I go to there and would spend the money if I were going to stay with him. Have any of you with similar hair ever gone to a barber? I am thinking that I might try the shop nearby that has been there forever. What do you think?

• funnygirl
    10 years ago

I've heard good things about "Floyd's" barber shop, if you have one in your area. I really know nothing about them as far as price, etc.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County