Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Things you overhear while out shopping

neetsiepie
10 years ago

I was at a Holiday Market yesterday afternoon and while i was browsing at a vendor booth, I overheard the following:

"Stop that" A mans voice says, irritated.

A few moments later I hear him again say "stop it".

Moments pass. "STOP LICKING!"

I assumed he was talking to a dog, but then I heard a small childs voice ask "Why?"

I lost it when I heard the father say "You have to stop licking Daddys arm! You can't lick people! It's not nice and they don't like it."

Comments (25)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Heh heh heh heh. That is so cute! Thanks for the giggle, Pesky.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

That cracked me up.

Thanks for sharing!

Beth P.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

That's really funny, maybe it was someone I know...I was at dinner last night with friends who have two young children. The restaurant serves gourmet pizza and has little kid's pizzas that come raw on a peel with whatever toppings they want, along with the red sauce. The kids then spread the sauce and sprinkle on their toppings, the waiter takes the completed pizza and into the oven (visible from the dining room) they go. The four year old girl was spreading her sauce and a big glob landed on the back of her hand. To her daddy, "Get that off of me!" No napkins within reach so he just licked it off. She thought it was hilarious. So maybe it was her licking him back!

• golddust
    10 years ago

Funny, Pesky. Really funny.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I wish that I could stop overhearing people's conversations when they insist on using their speakerphone while shopping! A few months ago I was in the grocery store, and a woman near me had her cell phone in her purse,setting in the top of the shopping cart, set on speaker phone. The party on the other end obviously didn't know that everyone in the store could hear him, and he let loose a few expletives. At that point the woman said "you're on speaker phone". At which point he let out another expletive. Then just a couple of days ago I was shopping in TJMaxx and a woman was yelling into her phone, which was set on speaker. It was all that I could do to resist going up and shouting into the phone "Hi, your on speaker phone, just thought I'd say hello".

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Favorite from past was via my mother. A Child sitting next to us was gumming car keys. Mom asked her dad if there was a possibility of "lock jaw". She really was kidding.

Terriks...I am so with you. Phones make me nuts in the store. Am I the only one that thinks people are sometimes talking to "me"? Recent experience was at HD trying to get the right dimensions for a project, which was written down. A guy showed up next to me on speaker and had me crazy with numbers passed back and forth...mixing me up trying to deal with my own numbers. Had to move until he went away.

The other was a doctor, obviously a surgeon, speaking with a patient while he wandered around the aisles. I could hear his conversation 2 aisles away. This was in Ross. Is everyone forgetting respect or lost all logic?

OT regarding your post, but the phone conversations could go on forever posting the Things Overheard.

Fun reading.

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Many years ago, during summer vacation in the White Mountains region of NH, wandering around a Dansk store.... I overheard a four-year-old talking with his dad:

"Daddy, I love this house. I get to have a sleepover with mommy every night."

"Not tonight kiddo. Tonight's Daddy's turn!"

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Well, I heard a not so nice "conversation" shopping the other day. At work we do an angel tree for a nearby homeless shelter. I needed to buy a doll for a 4 year old and hat/gloves for a 16 year old. I'll kill two birds--Toys R Us and Burlington Coat Factory are under one roof near me. I was in BCF looking at the hat/gloves sets trying to decide. Three young women were also shopping with a toddler sitting in a cart. Every other word was F or S**t..as in "There's no way I'd wear that F ing scarf" or "that color looks like s**t on you." I was thoroughly disgusted that they were talking this way in front of the child, but also thought it was so disrespectful and inconsiderate of the other shoppers. These people were clearly ignorant and saying anything would have just resulted in a nasty confrontation. I quickly selected a set and high-tailed it to the register so I didn't have to listen to them anymore. My heart breaks for that child.

• funnygirl
    10 years ago

I love observing little kids; they're so unfiltered!

The last conversation which caught my attention was a couple of days ago, a pharmacist telling a patient they are no longer able to get his medication:(.

• camlan
    10 years ago

While waiting at the corner for the street light to change. A woman runs into another woman she knows, who is accompanied by a man.

Woman 1: Cathy! Where have you been? I've been texting you . . wait, is that a ring? (Grabs Cathy's hand and looks at enormous diamond ring.)
    Cathy: Yes, we just got married yesterday.
    Woman 1: That's lovely! When did you meet?
    Cathy: Two weeks ago!

• mjlb
    10 years ago

Funnygirl: "I love observing little kids; they're so unfiltered!"

Me too. Just wish more adults developed a filter.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Speaking of kids....I just remembered this conversation from many years ago. The women on my side of the family are prone to varicose veins--no one escapes with nice, unveined legs!

Well, my niece must have been 5 or 6 and was visiting my parents one summer who took her to the club pool. Mom and Dad are stretched out on chaises. My niece gets out of the pool and is standning in front of them just staring:

Niece: :Grandma, are you older than pop-pop?"
    Mom: "No, pop-pop is two years older than me."
    Niece: "Well, your legs are older than pop-pop's."

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

I had a cute little guy in my store a while ago. He was about four years old.

He was behind the counter talking to me while his mom shopped. He was chattering a mile a minute and suddenly stopped, looked at me and said "Are you wearing tights?"

Still cracks me up when I think about it.

• golddust
    10 years ago

While Christmas shopping in a neighboring town, I heard someone call out "I'm hungry!" I turned to see a young man in his early 20's. I suspected he was a meth addict because he had sores all over his face, not pimples...

I never carry cash but I had $4.00 in my wallet so I walked over to him and tried to give him my money.

Young Man: I can't take your money because that would make me a bad guy. I just need some food

Me: then I will set the money on the ground and you can do with it what you want. You must be someone's beloved son who is worried sick about you tonight. Please get help.

He made eye contact with me like maybe he should. The money was still on the ground as I left the parking lot. He had dark hair and maybe reminded me a bit of Max. It was freezing outside and he wasn't dressed for the weather. I hope he gets help.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I sat behind two women on the bus who had a loud conversation discussing their sister and daughter respectively, each of whom was a pole dancer. The one reported that although everyone assumes you are a s--- when you are a pole dancer, her sister only went upstairs to make more money with Some of the guys, not all of them who asked her, so she was no s---.

This post was edited by palimpsest on Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 17:33

• Delilah66
    10 years ago

Phew, I passed the test for not a s---.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I saw that on the Today show this morning ogoopogo. But the loud talkers don't bother me nearly as much as the people who use their speaker phones in public. Why do people do that???

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh I can't stand to have a conversation with someone on a speaker phone. My mother puts her phone on speaker so her DH can be part of the convo. It's so echo-y and hard to hear the person you're trying to talk with.

It's very disconcerting to be in a public restroom and the person in the next stall is yakking away on their phone. I make it a point to flush several times to make a point.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh I can't stand to have a conversation with someone on a speaker phone. My mother puts her phone on speaker so her DH can be part of the convo. It's so echo-y and hard to hear the person you're trying to talk with.

It's very disconcerting to be in a public restroom and the person in the next stall is yakking away on their phone. I make it a point to flush several times to make a point.

• Delilah66
    10 years ago

I heard my friend's 6 yo GD ask her dad, "Is there a swimming pool at the North Pool?"

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Reminds me of a conversation a buddy overheard. He was in NYC at a corner waiting for the light, standing next to a bag lady. A limo pulls up to the corner and a Japanese fellow rolls down the back window and asks, "Can you tell me how to get to the UN?" The bag lady hollered back, "You found your way to Pearl Harbor, you can find your own way to the UN!"

Only in New York....

• caminnc
    10 years ago

These are so funny. This time last year I was in Home Goods. This darling little boy about 3 yrs. old was being pushed by his mom in the shopping cart. He was singing Jingle Bells so loud you could hear him at the other end of the store. Everyone was laughing so hard. Made my day and I am sure it did others too.

And did you know you can find out who is sleeping with who at the grocery store checkout. Teenage cashier and bag boy don't even know you are there!

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Well, I had present envy yesterday. I was at a jeweler's shop picking up earrings for my DD and a man and his young daughter were concluding their purchase of a very expensive pair of earrings for the wife/mom. And we're talking about earrings comparable in price to a Buick! And as they walked out of the store I overheard the Dad say, "Well, honey, I think we've made a good start on Mom's Christmas gifts."

Wait..... a "start"????

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

A little less fun...

Getting ready to leave the stall of the mall restroom after a busy day of shopping yesterday evening with dh, I heard a security officer on her radio. She was discussing a female shopper that had been accosted and had her bags stolen while walking to her car. Then proceeded to give a description of the two assailants...

I wonder if she was talking to another security officer.

Scary.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Oh so many years ago....mom told me of the time she was shopping with me...I must've been maybe 2 or 3.

She's shopping along and hears on the loudspeaker, "We have a lost little girl. She's wearing a pink shirt and black pants and her name is Frannie." Mom keeps shopping along thinking, what's wrong with parents that they can't keep an eye on their children! A few minutes later, they repeat the announcement, and Mom starts thinking, pink shirt, black pants...Frannie...Annie....OMG! That's Annie!