Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Faron-40 below?

Whoa! Just saw pictures on the national news of your weather. Stay inside. Hope you have power. It looks pretty bad. I won't complain now when we get rain tonight! Let us know you are okay.

Comments (11)

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Cyn- That's pretty sweet of you!

Hee-hee!
    -40?!?!? Wow! That's "News" for ya!
    Power is fine. Haven't heard of anybody in the dark in the region.

Got off work @ 6pm CST, temp @ -1. Didn't even zip my coat up!
    Windy however...UFFDA yes!
    NWS wind-speed here is N 30-45mph.
    This creates the "dubious/dramatic-for-tv" Windchill-indices of down to -45.
    "In-town" driving is fine here in F-M. HOWEVER...out of town...you're insane to go out! Visibilities are near-zero or ZERO.We're getting little-if-any new snow. What little new snow there is is getting blown into a whiteout.

Our ACTUAL TEMPS won't get any colder than -25F the next couple days overnight. National news shows usually "gloss-over" the "real" numbers, & are eager to show the "death-defying" windchill values!
    (((( huge roll-eyes here!! ))))

Some parts of the country might think the world is ending with this weather...
    We call it WINTER. No more...no less!

Faron

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Wow, Faron, wow. Keep warm! I grew up in Buffalo, but it never got that cold though we were buried in snow.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Hi GSC!
    (Our NWS link below...)

Our new 9pm CST NWS-temp is -7F.
    Still windy with gusts to 40mph, placing the "wind-chill" (for what it's worth...) @ -36.

On our way down to -24F (actual temp!) by Sun. morning!
    Man...this is jacket weather!

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Fargo NWS...

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh well, then, Faron, if it is only -7, must feel like spring! Haha. You are right, it was the wind chill they were stressing I guess. Still, it did not look very inviting. Of course, our cold, steady rain doesn't look so wonderful either,I guess. Glad you are taking it all in stride. I am not sure I could!

Happy new year!

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Hey! We're "up" to -10 now @ 10pm CST!! We may dip again to -16 by morning. Mondays high here may be -1 or even ZERO!

So far, Monday overnight may be -21!

Faron

• yayagal
    10 years ago

all I can say is BRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

All I know is we're supposed to be getting Faron-type temps here after our snowstorm tomorrow with temps down to -10 or lower and wind blowing at 40 mph.

When did we move to the Dakotas???

Whenever the weather turns severe, I think of a fellow I worked with who also owned a tree farm in Minnesota. He said he'd seen the thermometer go off the scale in both directions! I keep reminding myself that our weather is pretty white bread by comparison...

• Faron79
    10 years ago

"Faron-type temps" !!!

LOL-that's pretty good!

Typin' to y'all from a Marriot in Frisco/Dallas TX!!

I think it got to 50 here today...;-)

Faron

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Someone tell me why we have to go back to ND tomorrow???!

I DID enjoy the nice break from the snow & ice that's now even more plentiful in the central/eastern U.S. though!!

From Frisco/Dallas, TX-

Faron

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

I thought the "F" in the temperature reading in winter meant degrees Faron! didn't everyone :)

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Hi Cooper & gang!

Whew!!!! Got back home today finally!

Yes...y'all (well...I WAS in Texas briefly...) are well aware I hope, that it does refer to:

"FARON-heit" ;-)

Faron