Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

DVD Suggestions

funkyart
11 years ago

Over Thanksgiving my grandmother mentioned that she has missed watching her DVDs. She never understood how to work the remotes-- and when my grandfather's dementia started, he couldn't operate them either. So, we just got her hooked up with a tv that has a built-in DVD player. It's perfect for her--all she has to do is put the dvd in the slot and it starts playing.

So now I'd like to give her some new DVDs for christmas but I am having a hard time coming up with a list of (ahem) age-appropriate titles. She's loved all of the titles I've given her in the past: The Songcatcher, Cold Mountain and Fried Green Tomatoes, Waking Ned Devine. I just ordered The Secret Life of Bees.. but I am drawing a blank for others.

She is very into genealogy, the civil war and anything scottish/irish.

She's pretty with it mentally and doesnt mind a few "naughty words" (though she will pretend she does lol).. and she already owns many of the Burns sets.

Any movies you recommend for a 90 yo woman?

Comments (44)

• funkyart
    Original Author

Funny, I think I am the only one I know who didnt like Calendar Girls. LOVE Helen Mirren.. so I don't know what it was. Maybe just a bad day.

So many more awesome suggestions. You guys are GREAT. The Coal Miner's Daughter is perfect-- in fact so perfect that I better make sure she doesn't have it. I did get her Walk the Line one year but she got really upset about it because of Johnny Cash's struggle with drugs.

Sunny, I was trying to think of some good mysteries other than Rosemary & Thyme and Agatha Christy.. so I am going to run off and check out Heddy Wainthrop Investigates. I love all the british mysteries so this sounds promising.

Thank you again and again.. you all rock!

And now my sleeper recommendation to YOU. Searching for Sugar Man is one of the best movies I've seen in years.. and easily one of the best documentaries I've seen ever. It's just a lovely movie and a lovely story.. and a must see if you are a music lover. It is still showing in indie theaters in some areas of the country-- and will be out on DVD in January.
    Summary:

• Searching for Sugar Man tells the incredible true story of Rodriguez, the greatest '70s rock icon who never was. Discovered in a Detroit bar in the late '60s by two celebrated producers struck by his soulful melodies and prophetic lyrics, they recorded an album which they believed would secure his reputation as the greatest recording artist of his generation. In fact, the album bombed and the singer disappeared into obscurity amid rumors of a gruesome on-stage suicide. But a bootleg recording found its way into apartheid South Africa and, over the next two decades, he became a phenomenon. The film follows the story of two South African fans who set out to find out what really happened to their hero. Their investigation leads them

to a story more extraordinary than any of the existing myths about the artist known as Rodriguez. -- (C) Sony Pictures Classics

• funkyart
    Original Author

Funny, I think I am the only one I know who didnt like Calendar Girls. LOVE Helen Mirren.. so I don't know what it was. Maybe just a bad day.

So many more awesome suggestions. You guys are GREAT. The Coal Miner's Daughter is perfect-- in fact so perfect that I better make sure she doesn't have it. I did get her Walk the Line one year but she got really upset about it because of Johnny Cash's struggle with drugs.

Sunny, I was trying to think of some good mysteries other than Rosemary & Thyme and Agatha Christy.. so I am going to run off and check out Heddy Wainthrop Investigates. I love all the british mysteries so this sounds promising.

And now my sleeper recommendation to YOU. Searching for Sugar Man is one of the best movies I've seen in years.. and easily one of the best documentaries I've seen ever. It's just a lovely movie and a lovely story.. and a must see if you are a music lover. It is still showing in indie theaters in some areas of the country-- and will be out on DVD in January.
    Summary:

• Searching for Sugar Man tells the incredible true story of Rodriguez, the greatest '70s rock icon who never was. Discovered in a Detroit bar in the late '60s by two celebrated producers struck by his soulful melodies and prophetic lyrics, they recorded an album which they believed would secure his reputation as the greatest recording artist of his generation. In fact, the album bombed and the singer disappeared into obscurity amid rumors of a gruesome on-stage suicide. But a bootleg recording found its way into apartheid South Africa and, over the next two decades, he became a phenomenon. The film follows the story of two South African fans who set out to find out what really happened to their hero. Their investigation leads them

to a story more extraordinary than any of the existing myths about the artist known as Rodriguez. -- (C) Sony Pictures Classics

Here is a link that might be useful: Searching for Sugar Man trailer

• funkyart
    Original Author

Summary:

Here is a link that might be useful: Searching for Sugar Man trailer

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

What about the movies of the '30's & 40's? Classics. I'm thinking the Thin Man series, The Women (not the latest remake-ugh!), Citizen Cain, etc. My MIL's DH (79) prefers those old movies over more recent films.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Life is beautiful, 1997
    A sweet and tender WW II dramedy.

The Help? Is that on dvd yet?

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pesky, she has a few but she hasn't shown much interest in any of my old classics and she rarely watches TCM. Perhaps because in the 30s/40s she was a very poor teen or a new mother (and then a working mother with a husband overseas)? Or maybe she just likes to think of herself as hip and modern? LOL I am not sure.

She really seems to love the cinematography and music of the more modern movies. As I said, she's watched the couple of titles above over and over again. In fact, she bought the soundtracks for the songcatcher and o brother where art thou.

Thanks for the ideas!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Water for elephants is good.

• dawnbc
    11 years ago

I am ordering a bunch of dvd's for my parents through the library. Mom is almost 77 and these are some titles that she would like to have:

J Edgar
    The Fighter
    The Help
    The Lincoln Lawyer
    The Next Three Days
    The Rum Diary
    Sarah's Key
    In Darkness
    Beginners
    Killer Elite
    The Mark of Zorro
    Moneyball
    Haywire

I browsed the movie channel lineup to find current titles. Hope this gives you some ideas.

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

First thought that came to my mind was Waking Ned Devine, but see that is already on your list. That movie was hilarious! Wish it was on netflix b/c I'd love to watch it again.

My 7 y/o is calling me to come read with her, but I'll think about this and post back.

How blessed you are that you still have your grandma at age 90!

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Just had a thought... could you copy a bunch of family photos on to a DVD so she could look at pictures when she wanted to? If you have access to iMovie or something similar, you could even set it to music!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am absolutely blessed to have a grandma-- many of my friends no longer have parents.

Water for Elephants could be a good one. I have the book but havent seen the movie. I don't know all of the other titles suggested so I'll look through them.

Life is Beautiful is such a lovely movie-- but a number of years ago my grandmother asked us to stop buying WWII movies, books etc. What we didn't know then was that my grandfather was having flashbacks. He's no longer with us.. so I wonder if she'd enjoy them now?

She absolutely LOVED Waking Ned Devine. I think she has it on VHS though.. so upgrading to DVD would be good. Anything in that genre-- that isnt raunchy would be good.

Thanks guys.. I can normally think of a million titles but my brain is just empty lately.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bestyears-- that's a lovely thought but she's actually been the archivist for that side of the family and we do have a HUGE number of photos many generations back. My mom has made them all available to her in an online album.. but she seems to be having issues with photos right now. Perhaps because my grandfather's death earlier this year is still affecting her. She sent all but one of her photos home (she's in an assisted living apartment now). In a weird way, I think she's dealing by focusing on the future instead of the past.. not forgetting the past, but still focusing on the here and now and tomorrow without him.

Writing that was heartbreaking.. but I will say that she's going so much better now than she was 6 months ago and even a year ago when my grandfather was alive but not always alert and aware. I say, "whatever works!"

• teacats
    11 years ago

We adore "Waking Ned Devine" -- a hilarious movie with lots of gorgeous (and some very funny) scenery! LOL!

How about classic movies?

a)Mrs. Miniver
    b)Ken Burns miniseries The Civil War
    c)North and South
    d)Gone with the Wind
    e)The Thin Man movies
    f)Holiday Inn and White Christmas
    g)Agatha Christie's mysteries like Miss Marple starring Geradline McEwan
    h)BBC mystery series: Rosemary & Thyme -- wonderful gardens and houses -- mysteries solved by two women gardeners

• bestyears
    11 years ago

ahhh Funky, I can hear your sorrow though your words...

On Golden Pond comes to mind....
    Shirley Valentine
    Thelma and Louise

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Would she enjoy any of the serial period dramas like Downton Abbey, Upstairs/Downstairs, etc.

As for movies, how about Guarding Tess>, Secondhand Lions. or The Holiday?

• kristinekr
    11 years ago

My suggestions:

Forrest Gump
    Green Mile
    Titanic
    Big
    Catch me if you can
    Mrs. Doubtfire
    A few Good Men
    Princess Bride
    Legally Blonde
    The Blind Side
    Dances with Wolves
    Legends of the Fall

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Monarch of the Glen- a tv series set in Scotland. Has a cult following it is so good. Funny, clean, great

The Secret Of Roan Inish- just charming

Sweet Land- lovely, interesting, very well done

Joyeux Noel- Perfect for Christmas, wonderful year 'round however.

Whale Rider- beautiful

Becoming Jane
    August Rush
    Little Man Tate
    Akeelah and the Bee
    I Capture the Castle
    A Room with a View

These are all greatly entertaining movies, I Have the dvd's of all of them except the last two.
    I think a ninety year old would like all of them.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh Bumblebeez-- you are speaking my language. I loved most of those (and the few remaining, I have yet to see). So many good choices but she will absolutely love Whale Rider.. I can't believe I hadn't thought of that one!

Teacats, I adore Rosemary & Thyme. I watched the entire series late one winter when I was feeling blue. I then passed it on to my mom .. and now, Grandma will get it this year as part of my "These are a few of my favorite things" gifts I'll be sharing with my family this year. She'll love the spunky characters, the gardens and those lovely english cottages and manors!

Many, many good selections here-- thank you all so much. I am cutting off short here because I took a sleeping pill (too many nights without good sleep lately) and it's starting to kick in. Sorry to not address each of you individually.. but thank you all so much..

and I had to laugh aloud at a few. I love the idea of her watching Thelma & Louise.. (but I may need to screen it first!)

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Secretariat
    Exotic Marigold Hotel
    Julie and Julia
    Forrest Gump

My Mom is 95 (hmmm, my mother is older than your grandmother!) and she enjoyed these. My mom is not shocked by sex scenes, at least if they are not too graphic. She had three kids, so she must have known about sex!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

kristinekr, I love your movie idea's. I forgot about some of them till you posted. They are all good. Of course I've seen Forest Gump about 2 million times but I never seem to tire of it.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I'm not a movie person, but watched Enchanted April from recommendations on GW. I didn't see that anyone recommended it on this thread, but I absolutely LOVED that film!

• camlan
    11 years ago

Would your grandmother be at all interested in TV shows? I'm thinking of things like some PBS or BBC shows--Doc Martin, Rosemary & Thyme (if she likes mysteries), Downton Abbey (well, just the first season), Upstairs Downstairs (both the original and the first season of the remake), The Vicar of Dibley, Robin Hood, North and South (the novelization, not the one about the Civil War), Cranford.

Along the lines of Enchanted April, there's Widow's Peak, which is set in Ireland. And Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont, and Mrs. Brown. And The Englishman who Went up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gosh.. so many great titles. You are bringing back some of my favorites that I've forgotten.. and suggesting some I haven't seen.

Absolutely TV shows would be good. Personally, I like them because you can catch a 45 min episode when you have time-- it's not the big commitment of a 2 hr movie. I am not sure about downton abbey-- I havent seen it yet but she does watch PBS so I bet she's seen it. I had suggested Call the Midwife (which I love) but she turned her nose up to it-- which surprised me.

I also love Enchanted April.. and I've been trying to put my finger on why I don't think she'd enjoy this (and some other titles).. and I think it's because she's not a luxury person. She's a grew up in the mountains and was very poor.. and while she's living comfortably now, she really relates to things that are more simple and earthy. Not sure that explains it well.. but who knows, I could be wrong. I may just include my own copy of Enchanted April and see what she thinks!

I also thought of The Englishman who Went up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain. I think she'd enjoy it a lot.

I wasn't sure about The Exotic Marigold Hotel -- but my bf reminded me that I didnt think he'd like it and he loved it.

I appreciate all the excellent suggestions.. I own many of the DVDs recommended so the one's I am not purchasing, I will swap out with her. She has limited space and she's been doing a good job of limiting the number of things she accumulates in her room.. so swapping out will work well for her. She'll also appreciate borrowing/returning because it means more visits :)

I am going to make up a package for her--with some of her favorite candy treats.. bridge mix, horsehound candies and the following movies:

The Secret Lives of Bees
    The Man Who Went Up a Mountain and Came Down a Hill
    Tea with Mussolini
    Exotic Marigold Hotel

My sister already got her Secretariat.. and as I mentioned about, I will be giving "These are a few of my favorite things" gifts in addition to the regular gifts and she'll get my full set of Rosemary & Thyme.

I think that's probably enough for now--more than enough given her limited space (and the inclusion of a box set). I'll then swap movies with her through the rest of the year to share many of the other suggestions above. I have a very large DVD collection.. so that justifies keeping it. :)

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

You have a lot of good suggestions and I particulary like Kristine's list. Definitely will "ditto" Forest Gump, Titanic, The Blind Side, Legally Blonde for sure.

I'll add to it, keeping in mind movies that we started watching with our children and continue to watch and movies that we have gravitated towards over the years. There are certain movies, that regardless of how many times we have seen them, we will sit and watch them as if for the first time. We are 60 and 66 and if I make it to 90, I will probably still enjoy.

An American President
    The Karate Kid movies (always fun)
    Air Force One
    The Fugitive
    The Witness
    Shawshank Redemption (a happy-ending prison movie if she can handle the typical prison violence.
    Miss Congeniality
    Saving Winn Dixie
    Coal Miner's Daughter
    A Time to Kill
    Hoosiers
    Remember the Titans
    Overboard
    The Proposal

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Excellent suggestions above!

I second The Secret of Roan Inish and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Also loved these films, which are not Irish, but English:

The King's Speech
    Ladies in Lavender
    Calendar Girls
    War Horse
    Keeping Mum

The Doc Martin series, set in a beautiful Cornish village, is also absolutely delightful, as are the Hetty Wainthrop Investigates episodes (gotta love Patricia Routledge!). They are all available on DVD.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I'll look for it Funky!

The Queen
    Charlotte Gray - I love this movie.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Oh, I have heard about this. I read an article somewhere about the real Sugarman and how he might now as an old man get some real fame (and money).

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beez.. this is a documentary so it's the real story (or as it is remembered by those involved).. I don't want to give too much away because the way the documentary unfolds is part of the delight.

There are some interesting views of Detroit and South Africa (where I lived for a bit as a teen). Just a really well done film and a great story. Do see it if you get the opportunity!

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Why don't you just give her a Netflix subscription and let her get what she wants?

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cindyloo, as I said above, I considered it-- but she is 90 yo and while she does use a computer for email and light surfing, she struggles with ordering anything online--the process of searching is especially the issue. She also struggles with using a remote to switch between input devices-- which is what she'd need to stream videos to her tv through a roku or similar.

I'd say given the fact that she grew up in the appalachian hills that she's pretty damn modern-- but I am not going to thrust new technology on her when she's already struggling with the phone and cable remote.

Besides, I don't mind buying DVDs that we can watch together and/or swap and share.. and talk about.

I do give my learning disable nephew a netflix subscription each year-- and that's been perfect for him. He's learned some skill (and responsibility when he got DVDs delivered). I just don't think that's the path for my grandmother.

Thanks though!!

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

Hugo is now offered on Netflix's instant streaming and my husband and I watched it last night. 'Loved it! The cinematography is just wonderful.

I'd also recommend Hear My Song, Local Hero and My Left Foot since she likes movies about Ireland and Scotland.

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

Billy Elliot was one of our favourite movies that the whole family liked.

Driving Lessons is another. One of the main characters is a senior lady with gumption.

Flipped is the sweetest love story ever. Great for both kids and adults.

I'm going to write down a lot of the titles above. My kids are 13 and 8 and it can be hard to find movies that both would enjoy and I think some of these will do nicely. Thanks!

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Funky Art I overlooked the fact that you had already mentioned Netflix. My technology challenged parents have it though. I sit down at their pc with them periodically to help them load up their Que. Once it's loaded, they just do the mailing part.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cindy.. I am sorry, I was thinking about the live streaming. I COMPLETELY forgot that you can still do DVD mailings. Hmm. Maybe I should rethink this. She COULD do the DVDs. On a plus side, it would mean mail for her which I know she enjoys. And I could create the account and pre-populate her queue with these suggestions. She's very capable.. she just gets confused when there are lots of buttons and options.

Chickadee, my boyfriend and i were talking just this morning about how much we enjoyed Hugo. It's one of those extraordinary movies-- the story, the cinematography, the acting.

Billy Elliot was awesome but most of the other titles you listed are new to me, Daisy. I will have to check them out.
    That's a tough spread 8 and 14. I definitely recommend Hugo if you haven't seen it. Like Daisy said, it's wonderful for all ages.

Perhaps we should start a new thread on movies for kids & parents would enjoy since the holiday break is approaching. I don't have kids but I used to show outdoor movies (on an inflatable 9' x 12' movie screen) in the summer for the nieces and nephews and neighborhood kids-- my small effort to keep them occupied and out of trouble lol.

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

Where the heck do you get an inflatable movie screen?! One year we did a neighbourhood movie night. One of the neighbours owned a moving truck and we used that as the screen. He's since moved away and we've been wondering what we could use instead. Inflatable would be awesome.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, it's great, Daisy! There are different sizes and grades some cost thousands but I bought mine at walmart for $200. The install and set up is easy.. you do need a little help to get it up and tethered--but I often did it myself with a couple of kids to help.

I bought a projector with a built in dvd player just because I didnt want to be bothered with connecting a laptop or dvd player to the projector. I am not sure what they are selling for now but I know they've come wayyyy down in price.

At the peak of summer we'd show movies a couple of times a week. Some nights we'd plan a BBQ around the movie.. adults would have cocktails on the porch and the kids would be laid out on blankets in the yard.

I actually own both the screens walmart sells. I highly recommend the one linked below for $20 more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inflatable Outdoor Movie Screen

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Funkyart. I think I will talk to some of the neighbours about going in on it together.

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

Shirley Valentine is one of my all time favorite movies...she might like that. Think someone else mentioned it, too.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

a lot of good ones already

a few more

big night
    groundhog day
    fanny and Alexander
    Juno

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your continued suggestions. I haven't seen Shirley Valentine and it's been mentioned twice so I will not only add it to the list (which I'd already done) but will check it out myself.

Mtn, The Big Night is one of my favorites.. but you really sent me back with Fanny and Alexander. I know it's too long and not everyone's cup of tea but it was a favorite of mine as a kid. A church in walking distance from my house used to show old movies in the basement for a small fee-- cents, as i remember. I was the oldest of 4 kids-- and our house was a gathering place for the neighborhood kids so going to these movies was a way for me to escape the chaos. I think that's where I first developed my love of old movies.. that and I had insomnia even as a kid so I'd stay up late at night watching the old movies. Your mention of F&A brought back happy memories.

And who knows what movies in this list will do the same for my grandmother? The Songcatcher was one that did that for her-- the music and sets took her back to a place in her childhood. I think the best gift I can give to her IS the Netflix membership after all.. so that she can discover her own gems. That's part of the fun, isn't it? Finding the gems.

Daisy.. are you anywhere near PA? The screen itself would be a lot to send (the blower is attached and the screen and support add up to some bulk and weight).. but I do have an old screen that we're no longer using. It has a touch of mildew stain on the screen but I am sure it would clean up. Also, some people just build a frame to suspend an old sheet or a painter's tarp. I figured the 200 bucks was a lot easier than building and assembling a frame each time. It literally goes up in about 15 minutes.. and it's so fun for the kids to watch it go up!

We had many many great nights around the outdoor screen. It was a lot of fun to bring together kids of all ages and interests.. and parents loved it too! I hope your neighborhood can resurrect your movie night. And P.S. an inflatable screen would be a great Christmas gift!

Oh, and it's not just great for movies-- you can use it for any digital content. I have heard of people who use the screens to show big football or baseball games-- or for Guitar Hero or Xbox game tournaments on the big screen. Just remember that you need you need a projector with pretty strong light (high lumens) and you need to wait for full darkness. I usually set up before dusk.. and then wait for the dark.

• sis3
    11 years ago

I second the Best Exotic Marigold hotel, The King's Speech, The Queen, Calendar Girls and many of the others. What about The Iron Lady?

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Christmas in Connecticut. My 90 yr old Mil loves this one.

Seasons of The Walton's.

Driving Miss Daisy

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Christmas in Connecticut is one of my favorites too.. along with a Holiday Affair. And speaking of Cary Grant and the holidays, I love to watch Indiscreet on New Year's Eve!

• pammyfay
    11 years ago

Love, love, love the "Wainthrop Investigates" series.
    Also "As Time Goes By" (the series with Judi Dench).

A LOT of great recommendations here!

(PS to everyone here: Barnes & Noble has a sale through Dec. 10 on British TV DVDs -- 50 percent off.)