Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

More Gift Ideas Needed: Gifts for Good Friends

LynnNM
9 years ago

I need inspiration, actually. The thread here on gifts for adult children is giving me some ideas for my own two adult kids. The thread on gifts for older folks is helping me with gifts for my parents.
Over the years, most of our friends, along with DH and I, have agreed to stop the gifts and just focus on getting together over the holidays for a special meal and time together. So much nicer! BUT DH still insists on us exchanging gifts with one couple who are dear friends of ours. We love them, and I don't mind the gifting, but I feel tapped out on ideas this year. We usually spend about $150 total and always have a theme. These are a few of the themes I've used in the past.
Past gift basket themes:
* Gardening and birds: bird feeder, special gardening tools, etc. in a garden trug
* Gourmet Dinner: our favorite bottles of wine, our favorite dinner music cd ( Chris Botti's "When I Fall in Love"); fresh pasta, sauces, candles, etc in a picnic hamper.
* Our Favorite Kitchen Things: we hit Williams-Sonoma to pick up the specialty tools, etc. that we love and use.
* New York, New York: (where she was born and raised) music, calendar, books, etc.
* Grilling: Williams-Sonoma's rosewood (?) grilling tools set, sauces, cookbook, spices, plates, serveware
* A Day Out: a gift certificate to a wonderful English tea room; gourmet teas (they drink tea), scones, tea ball, etc. etc.

The thing is, they're our age and really don't need anything. She's a fantastic gourmet cook. They have a gorgeous Craftsman-style, totally custom home, completely decorated in long-collected, much-loved original Craftsman furniture, art and accessories. And, yes, they've had a subscription to magazines that specialize in Craftsman-style homes for many years.

And now, I'm totally drawing a blank when it comes to this year. I would really, really appreciate any and all ideas!
Lynn

P.S. Besides being a gourmet cook herself, their son is a chef with his own very successful local restaurant, so I'm thinking anymore foodie ideas are out, unfortunately. Between them, they now have an overload of cookbooks, utensils, etc.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by LynninNM on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 18:01

Comments (33)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Omaha Steaks is running a great promo right now. I'm thinking about getting it for my father.

I've discovered a wonderful Pinot Noir; Meiomi, $20/bottle. I'm not a drinker at all, but this time of year I like a glass of red wine by the fire in the evenings. Picked up this Meiomi a few weeks ago and have since bought four more bottles. I told the owner today, as I was picking up three, that if they find me passed out in the street with an empty bottle of Meiomi Pinot Noir next to me, it's her fault.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Btw, I'm sure by now you consider me a good friend, esp. after feeling comfortable enough w/u to call you Linen New Mexico, and I could really, really use another shed :-)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

How about a subscription to a monthly delivery of flowers, wine, fruit, or any specialty item they might enjoy, a night's stay at a nice B&B, concert or theater tickets, couples massage?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Since they don't need anything, and something expensively indulgent would be off base, it has to be thoughtful.

So. A basket of memories? Things that relate to memories you share as friends? Places you've gone or things you've done together?

I know that is pretty amorphous.

• LynnNM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ROFLMAO, Tibbrix! This couple doesn't eat beef, but I'm heading over right now to Omaha Steaks to shop for my other difficult couple to buy for, DH's brother & wife in North Carolina. I would say "our" but if I waited for DH to help choose their gifts, we'd be frantically shopping on Christmas Eve Day!
    Linen

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Are they gardeners? On the other gift thread, I just mentioned my Bear Wallow thorn-proof gloves, which are absolutely amazing and would make a WONDERFUL gift. They're make of calfskin, and they really work! You could get them each a pair fi they both garden. I think they're @ $55/pair.

• LynnNM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, thanks to Tibbrix, I did head directly over to Omaha Steaks and ordered DH's brother & wife their Christmas gift. THANK YOU for helping me check one more gift off my List to Buy!!!
    As for our dear friends, yes they're gardeners. Those are not your everyday gardening gloves, so they may not own a pair of them. Hmmmm, that's a possibility.
    They did get us theater tickets two years in a row, so that might be an option.
    A basket of memories? We see them a lot and the wife works for DH, so I'm not too sure about that one.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

A friend and I used to exchange gifts every year until we both admitted that finding The Perfect Gift could be stressful, so instead, for the past few years we have decided on a show or concert we'd both like to see and just get tickets, and go to a nice restaurant before or after. We both end up happy and don't have to worry about adding to each other's "stuff." Might be too late for this year, but maybe in the future you could do something like that? Or, even an overnight trip somewhere for all 4 of you.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

They'll absolutely love those gloves if they have roses and other thorny plants. They make a wonderful gift, something one might want but wouldn't buy for oneself. They're luxurious enough to be a great gift but also practical enough to be profoundly useful and invaluable. They're actually kind of a perfect gift, so to speak. And like I said, they actually really work. The thorns just do not get through. But the leather is soft and pliable enough to be able to work with them on.

• LynnNM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love that idea, Sue! I'm going to suggest it to my friend right after the holidays for next year, as she's a notoriously early shopper and most likely has had our gifts for at least a couple of months now. And then we'll just inform the guys that it's a done deal. We none of us need more "stuff" anymore!
    Lynn

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

If they like the outers, tickets to the tram with some goodies for hiking/backpack lunch? Perhaps some silverware rolls with funky/elegant silverware, etc.

One for others on Omaha Steaks, the product is great but they are pests. Carefully consider whether or not you will include a phone number with your order. I did because I was sending it to my parents in a somewhat difficult location and they kept calling me to sell me more product. If you see them on the caller ID, answer and ask me to be taken off their call list as they will not give up otherwise.

A Christmas breakfast basket with some pastry or bread from Great Harvest, fruit, coffee from one of the local shops (Whitings, Moons), etc.

A gift certificate to Keller's for meat and a gift box from Penzeys or a gift card from Penzeys too.

Tibb, I may have to purchase those gloves for myself. I am looking at some of their other gloves too.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

His and her massages at a day spa....

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Sue said exactly what I was going to suggest! That will be so much fun! Much better than more stuff, at least for me.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

tishtosh, I promise you would not regret getting those gloves. Worth every dime, and again, a spot-on gift for gardeners.

• User
    9 years ago

I love SueB's idea! Perfect!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

His and hers glow in the dark pj's?

Just kidding of course....what about an unusual outdoor experience, like a night time bat viewing tour, or a local planetarium, a day touring ghost towns, a hot air balloon ride, etc?

• LynnNM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's getting late here and I still have dishes to wash, so I'll be quick and get back more tomorrow. But, Tish, they live over near you so you've mentioned a number of good possibilities. Am still thinking about those super gardening gloves, though, too.
    Linen

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

How about something from Neiman Marcus? Like the 100th Anniversary Neiman Marcus Limited-Edition Maserati Ghibli S Q4! I bet it's something they don't already have!

Here is a link that might be useful: For him & her

• saipanlady
    9 years ago

We have gone to shared experience gifts.....perhaps dinner and a show? a fun class of one sort or another, an overnight trip? We cherish our friends but we are all old enough so we have everything we need and much of what we want. What we love most is to spend time with the people we love....thus the shared experience gift. (Both couples split the cost...it is each couples gift to the other)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sheesh, even Neiman-Marcus has deteriorated. They used to sell private islands. Now it's just Maseratis? What? Do they think we won't notice?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Nothing says, "I'm a dignified person of taste" like glow-in-the-dark feet pajamas for adults, and women holding Teddy bears.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

ROFL hhireno.

I wear my "glowies' to do my grocery shopping. I can tell by the look on people's faces, the stares, that they're very envious and are contemplating getting them as gifts for others. It's so obvious. And in winterâ¦no need even for boots! I just put a pair of LLBean Stabilicers on right over the feet, and off I go!

• LynnNM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL . . . You've done it!!! You've collectively managed to come up with the perfect gift for our friends: we'll head off . . . in the new Neiman Marcus Maserati, of course . . . all decked out in our new, matching, glow-in- the dark, footed pjs to one of the theater productions coming to town soon. I imagine that the only one that we could possibly manage to get into without all being dragged off to the looney bin might be the new Cirque du Soleil show. Our friends will love it, as this is a gift they would never, ever expect. A true once-in-a-lifetime surprise gift.

Gosh, I love this forum . . . thanks for starting my day off with a huge smile!!!
    Still ROFL,
    Linen NM

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Well, now we'll know you when we see you, lol!

Seriously funny!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I don't think so, outsideplaying. I suspect it's going to be THE fashion statement of 2015. I've invested every last dime I have in them, in fact, I'm so sure of it! Just call me Warrena Buffet.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I just laughed so loudly at hh's comment that DS had to come in my office and ask what was wrong.

• luckygal
    9 years ago

Have you considered giving a donation in their name to a charity they might be interested in? They might get a kick out of being gifted a goat or two!

While I am not wealthy I have asked my sons to do this for me as there is little I need or want.

• funkyart
    9 years ago

I enjoy doing themes. This year I am doing a "party where you are" theme. One sister still has teens who are on traveling sports teams, my brother and his SO have a boat on beach harbor, my other sister spends a lot of time on the river camping and kayaking. I am putting together baskets.. "Party on the road" "party in the boat" "party on the river". I have Vinnago wine thermoses, funky bottle openers, some fancy snacks and I am looking for a nice traveling cheese board. My budget is significantly less than yours as we have moved to just sharing token gifts since they had kids (and now grandkids in the spring!) .. if budget weren't a concern, I'd grab three of these.. silly as it is, I am totally in love with this cheese board.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

Plan a trip together to Mexico (if you dare), and give Spanish lessons . . . or Montreal, with French lessons

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

We had the same problem for years. We have a group of seven couples (all close in age). We would take trips together once every year or so but during the year we would take turns hosting a monthly dinner. Of course this always necessitated a hostess gift. All of us are comfortably off and at our age have everything (material) that we want or need. It drove me crazy because I was constantly being gifted with craft type items. I am just not into cutesy things and I had a difficult time coming up with items that I thought the other ladies would enjoy or use. I failingly ended up giving food items or fresh flowers. We all finally came to a consensus that we should stop doing hostess gifts and at Christmas put funds together to donate to a charity. Thank goodness! The pressure every month is off and we can give to those in need. It's a win/win.

• abundantblessings
    9 years ago

One gift I enjoy giving is a donation to micro-finance charitable organizations. Kiva.org is one but there are others. This is the gift that keeps on giving and helps create a better tomorrow for those who really benefit by a $25 donation to their dream. $150 will go far as once the original giftees have repaid the loan it becomes available to donate to others. Happy gifting!

• sushipup1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Old thread resurrected with spam. (ETA: spam removed)