Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

The Day After Christmas: What Are You Doing Today???

lynninnewmexico
10 years ago

It's the day after Christmas, December 26th, also known in some parts of the world as Boxing Day, the first day of Kwanzaa or the "Second Day of Christmas".

I was wondering if you all have any traditions for this special day. Do you celebrate any or all of the above? Spend it at the malls, returning or exchanging gifts or catching the After Christmas sales? Did you have to go to work today? Spend it recuperating from yesterday? Head to yet another holiday party? Go for a hike?

As for me, we host our big, annual Christmas Day dinner party which takes days ~ really, weeks~ to get ready for. I have every room in the house decorated for the holiday. We have a huge buffet set up and, while we love this wonderful time with our friends, I'm flat out exhausted the next day . . . today. We don't celebrate Kwanzaa. Can't even imagine having the energy to fight the crowds at the malls. Instead ~ and it's written in stone (LOL!) ~ we celebrate all Twelve Days of Christmas, and this day is always spent in our PJs or sweats doing absolutely as little as humanly possible. We eat only the delicious leftover foods from yesterday's feast. On (Christmas) paper plates, warmed up in the microwave so as not to dirty too many dishes. We lie around on the sofas or floor in our living room in front of the tree and fireplace, reading new books, listening to (mellow) music. Call family who live in other states. Play board games. Chat. Snack. Check out our family and friends' Christmas photos on Face Book. Nap. In other words, we have fun while we recuperate from yesterday. This evening, we'll watch a funny Christmas DVD, maybe "Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation", while we laze around in the family room.

I LOVE our December 26th tradition and was just wondering how you like to spend December 26th at your house?
Lynn

Comments (14)

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Sometimes I work - this year I took the day off. DH went to the office so I had the place to myself which was wonderful after house guests and holiday activities. I just relaxed and did whatever I wanted since I've been working like a maniac cooking, etc. over the holidays - along with my regular job. I got a new ipad mini for Christmas so I spent some time playing with that and getting it setup to my liking. After lounging around most of the day I started doing some laundry and going through some piles of papers and stuff that have accumulated on my desk. It's been a wonderfully relaxing day.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Like you, I am exhausted by the 26th from all the shopping, cleaning, cooking, baking, wrapping, etc.for days....simply must give DH more to do next year! (I say that every year and also vow to scale back).... It is a work day for me but I always take it off...I can't imagine getting up and going to work today! Took off tomorrow too. Yes, I pretty much lounge...put gifts away as well as the boxes, bags, etc...wash the tablecloth and napkins.......watched GWTW with DD who's home and had never seen it...just relaxing and trying to recover!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

My husband and I always have extended time off at Christmas (this week and next this year). We tend to spread the holiday out and enjoy. Today we are pretty much taking it easy. Hubby ran a couple of errands, but I have not left the house and did not get out of my pj's until about 3:00 pm. I've picked up around the house (we hosted Christmas), ran the dishwasher, did a load of clothes, etc.

Pretty much a relaxing day!

tina

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I am off work/school, but DH is actually pretty busy this week between Christmas and New Year's.

I went to the gym and then I took my Mustang in for an estimate to get the convertible top motor fixed. Success in that I will get it fixed next week. He has to order the part. He got the motor to work, but it is on its last legs.

I cooked dinner in my new tagine.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

I hosted a large-ish family group yesterday and also kept life low key today.

Went to Pilates this morning, then came home and after a nice long chat with my daughter we put away most of the dishes and serving pieces from yesterday. Snacked on some leftovers, finished the last 2 episodes of Orange is the New Black which I just discovered, then more leftovers for dinner, and now off to read a bit then early to bed. No shopping, no maniacal clean up, not much except relaxing!

I won't say I resent it, because I do it every year, but sometimes I do think that since in my family there are only 2 of us (stepmother and me) who always put on these major holiday gatherings-boy, does everyone else get off easy! I had about 20 family members here yesterday and although I did appreciate several of the guests who pitched in to help, as hostess it was just an incredibly busy and hectic and intense experience to manage it all.

In a debriefing call tonight, my stepmother, who is a retired professor of occupational therapy and thus very tuned in to effective work systems, commented that in a sense, hosting these parties is almost like turning your home into a restaurant...except there isn't a staff!

Since I always think that somehow if I planned things right I would be able to effortlessly run these shindigs, this perspective really made me feel better about how exhausting it always is. After all, if I had a hostess to get everyone greeted and seated, and chefs to get all the food prepped, cooked and plated, and waiters to help take out and bring back the food and beverages, and dishwashers to clean it all up,...life would be ever so much easier wouldn't it?!

Ah well, it was a very nice gathering and I've still got tomorrow and all of next week for me time. Which I *will* be taking, thankyouverymuch. Might go see The Wolf of Wall Street tomorrow and American Hustle is on the agenda too. Some shopping once the stores calm down a bit. Some reading, some relaxing, can't wait for my holiday to really kick in!

Ann

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Hosting holiday gatherings is exhausting no matter what you do. I usually do Thanksgiving and mom does Christmas. I hate to say it, but mom's cooking just isn't what it used to be and I think she's tired of it, so I'll probAbly be doing both next year.

Today, I worked out with my trainer, did some organizing and a little work, laundry, out for a manicure, eating leftovers and now watching The Godfather marathon on AMC. So, all in all, a very relaxing day except I was trapped in the Starbucks' drive thru for forty minutes. Serves me right for going to the one next to the outlet mall.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Thirty two people love me enough to come over for Chrismas dinner and yes, today was a do as little as possible day for us too. I re read my letters and cried again. I'm so moved by the thoughtful and loving letters I get.

I am very careful to prep beforehand as I insist on spending personal time with each guest. I'm tired but fulfilled.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Like most of you, I was also wiped out today and did almost nothing. I did get up early and sat in the living room with my coffee, finishing a book. Between the newspapers, my kindle, and my iPad, I was reading almost all day. Later in the day I had to take DS for a couple of routine doctor visits, and we had pizza delivered for dinner. Tomorrow will be more of a clean up day, and...back to the gym!

• User
    10 years ago

Not much... my mom and I returned a couple of things to a local store and I picked up a few of the button downs my nephew likes. DS2 drove my mother back to the city and is staying the night, and DS1 is there with another friend, so all is calm here on the home front.

In exciting dog news, Mr. Fluffy got a rather large ham bone to make up for the exasperating presence of the new dog Charlie, who he finds very distracting. The other two dogs were in awe of Mr. Fluffy's bone and dared not come within three feet of it.... he was guarding it with a menacing growl that they knew meant business.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

This year has been weird-with Christmas (and New Years) falling in the middle of the week, and me in the midst of a VERY stressful work project that must be finished by 1/1 I pretty much put Christmas on the back burner. My DH didn't mind too much-we'd lost his mom this past May, so his heart just wasn't in it. We'd had a super ridiculous year this year-what with my phenonmenal Las Vegas trip in April, breaking my back and losing Mom in May, DD1 getting married in August, and then me going on another vacay at my sisters last month-everyone kind of agreed to chill.

We did go to DD2's house-literally over the river (3 actually) and thru the woods (a National forest)-about 90 miles away, but it was just a day trip, then I had to be back at work today.

In usual years, I take a couple days off for Christmas, but just couldn't do it this year with that deadline looming. But in the usual years, I like to spend the day after cleaning up after the party. Putting everything away and reorganizing all my Christmas decor takes several days, and I really like to get it done ASAP.

I dislike shopping so much, so I stay out of the stores. I guess, I just like to be DONE (especially with all the food and sweets-I'm burnt out and crave carrots!)

• User
    10 years ago

I actually put away most of the Christmas decorations and plan to finish tomorrow. I normally pack things up New Years Day. I think I feel cluttered from all the new stuff (toys) coming in. I just want to majorly purge. Everything. I plan to head to the local thrift store sometime this week with boxes of donations.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Since I was 23 (I'm 60 now) I have played broomball on Boxing Day with university friends followed by a potluck dinner. As we got married through the years our spouses joined us. When our kids started to become teenagers and the parents got older the kids started to get invited to play.

The kids were so excited about playing with their parents, the friends of their parents and the other kids. Those kids are now in their mid to late 20's and are now bringing their girlfriends and boyfriends. There have been, of course, some changes through the years, some friends have moved, others have divorced and some have just fallen away. But there is still a core group.

Two years ago we switched to floor hockey but the kids miss the broomball so we will probably switch back.

I just got home from the game and dinner with DH and DS1 but unfortunately DS2 had to work and was most upset.

Tomorrow is a do nothing day.

• nhbaskets
    10 years ago

Spented the 26th cleaning as we have a realtor come over today to look at our house and talk about listing in the spring. Hate to leave this house as we have put so much into it, but alas, downsizing is needed due to my DHs medical issues.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Cleaning, paperwork, a million details for the HOA for remodeling on a house purchase, checking for home owners insurance, details for mortgage company, Dr. called and I have to go get another mammogram, lots of dental stuff â¦havenâÂÂt worked out and I feel icky. Many choices to be made on home products! Wish I could just buy a house for cash so I wouldnâÂÂt be bothered with how long my toe nail is for the mortgage company. My mom has called a hundred times with the same symptoms as her recently deceased sister from brain tumors. She always gets what the latest dead person had. I need a day of nothing. On Saturday husband is offâ¦he will want attention. However, I like the people and the distraction of HERE.