Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theredhouse_gw

Christmas Cookie Storage?

TheRedHouse
9 years ago

I'm giving my holiday baking a make-over this year and am trying all new cookie recipes. I think I need some new storage techniques along with the new recipes. I'd love to know what everyone else does. If you're a cookie baker and have a minute, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

How far ahead do you start cookie baking?

How do you store your holiday cookies? In bags? Plastic storage containers? Tins? Do you put something between layers of cookies?

Where do you store them? Freezer? In an unheated space like the garage or enclosed porch? At room temperature? Somewhere else entirely?

Do you have any special tricks to keep them fresh (for ex. storing them with a piece of bread)?

Comments (8)

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

I keep them in the freezer. Usually in tins - or whatever is as air tight as possible - with a layer of saran stretched under the lid. Most of what I bake doesn't stick together when cooled so a layer of waxed paper, etc. between the cookie layers isn't necessary. I will paper between layers for things like brownies or lemon bars.

From the freezer, stored baked goods thawed at room temperature are as good as just baked.

I haven't started yet since I can't decide just how much I want to do. My favored recipes are fool proof and easy so I don't need a lot of time.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Freeze them if it's for any period of time. If it's a few days, keep them in an airtight container with either a slice of white bread or a slice of apple in there with them. Change the bread or apple slice daily.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I Freeze them in freezer bags. When it's time to give, I take out what's needed and put into the gift container (I leave the container open til the cookies defrost, usually takes less then 30 minutes).

Except for my biscotti, they are seasoning back in a Tupperware container in the linen closet, away from my husband.

ML

• TheRedHouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

maddielee, talk to me about seasoning biscotti. Do you just leave them in an airtight container, at room temp? For how long?

It's interesting to see how many people freeze their cookies. I'm originally from a very cold climate where people often store them in the (very cold) garage with a combo of the fresh/frozen methods. I'm still super interested in what others do, so please keep your techniques coming.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Red, the biscotti I made for gifts for this Christmas I made about 10 days ago. But if I make some tomorrow no one will be able to tell the difference between the 2. I like the Joe's Stone Crab Boscotti recipe, smaller cookies.

I have eaten some that were months old, still good. You want them dry and hard.

I cool them completely, and layer them in a long Tupperware container. Room (closet) temperature.

ML (Florida)

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

I was just thinking about this today. Usually we bake a lot as gifts. This year we're taking it back a level, leaving some ingrates out. :) We'll make mini rum cakes that we wrap individually in saran, with bows. Toffee will go in a small plastic bag for each person. Usually DH makes chocolate chip cookies that we pack in saran as well, unless I find a cool box or something that we can keep the moisture out of. I'm thinking I will make everything over the weekend and give it out early in the week. Last year we gave a bunch of people Belgium Waffles from our Waffle Cabins, but we just don't have the time to get all that together I don't think.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

I used to make (to give away!) "bazillions" of cookies for the holidays; multiple batches of multiple varieties of cookies. After the cookies had cooled completely on the cooling racks, I would layer them in large Ziploc freezer bags, with wax paper between the layers, and then stack the bags in the freezer. Cookies kept perfectly throughout the holidays, into the following months (however long they lasted!).

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I bake Christmas cookies usually just for my family and guests as they are a lot of work. I keep them stored in a combination of Ziploc bags and plastic containers. I always keep cookies separated as I don't like the mingling of flavors if more than one variety is stored in the same container.

I love baking so hopefully when I retire mid 2015 I will bake oodles of cookies because I will have more free time!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath