Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Note to Gardenweb: Deep Six the Project Luna ad!

User
10 years ago

It is annoying and ubiquitous. I do not know what project luna is, but I do know I will NEVER find out, click on it, go to their website, buy it, eat it, drive it, wear it or contribute to it. BECAUSE of the annoying ad.

Comments (10)

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I haven't noticed it - where is it?

I do have the photos on the right hand side of the page with links to GW : Best Holiday Cookies and Deck the Halls and Good Eats.
    But at least they don't pop up.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Every time I look at G W with Internet Explorer I have to close that ad when I open a forum, a thread, scroll to a new post in a thread, etc. Oddly, I have very few of the pop ups in my ipad now, and they used to be the worst offenders. This ad I assume is for lumesta as the tiny print along the bottom is a pharma company. Maybe they have targeted me as a cranky poster who needs more sleep!

I can't use chrome or Firefox, as people have suggested to others on different threads, on that particular computer because our business software is only 10O% compatible with IE. I just wanted GW to know that that type of intrusive advertising is counterproductive for their advertisers.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

One of these days I am going to have to open GW with IE so I can see all these ads!

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I use IE too, but do not see them. Is it possible you've got a bad cookie or something that has attached itself to this site to pop up when you go here?

Might want to run your virus scan and clear out cookies you don't recognize.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I agree that it sounds like a third-party site popping up the ads. I don't use IE much but when I opened the site with it this afternoon, I didnt get ads either.

You CAN use firefox, chrome and IE on the same computer. I run all three on ALL of my computers. It won't interfere with your business software.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our office computers actually block programs, including browsers, that are not compatible with our software :-(
    And they are monitored 23/7 by an IT firm, mine has a virus scan every morning at 2 am.

I did click on it and yes, it is a Lunesta ad, courtesy of gardenweb. I guess I need to stop sneaking looks at GW when I get bored or am on a telephone hold!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

All I see are goodies and a small target ad. ;o)

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

I hadn't had trouble until this morning and now every time I move to a new screen (Ie, open a new thread, click forward or backward) a huge ad pops up and I have to close it in order to see the thread. I use Safari and haven't had this happen before. Very annoying. Even popped up just now when I hit preview message.

It identifies as an ivillage ad, but is for Mattel. If I have to close an ad every 10 seconds, I won't stay. Anyone have suggestions on how I can get rid of it? Yesterday, I clicked on it once and it stayed away, now it keeps coming back.

This post was edited by daisychain01 on Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 7:00

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Well, I wrote to Mattel to tell them that the ads were annoying and yesterday they stopped. Kudos!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sent an email to the company that makes Lunesta, both to their marketing dept at the company headquarters and also to investor relations. Even if the ad doesn't disappear at least I have registered my extreme disapproval.

And gardenweb has one less PC user, as I will only be able to use iPads or phones to check the site----not that they care about that, either. I absolutely hate most advertising. It is either intrusive, stupid, in poor taste, pandering, or all of the above. Biggest reason why we have not had a television for more than 15 years now.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus