Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Amazon - free ship over....$35?

User
10 years ago

What's up with this? It's normally over $25. Just a holiday thing where they're trying to make more money?

Comments (19)

• violetwest
    10 years ago

no, they recently raised it. It was in the news.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

I seem to recall that is the new rate, not just a policy thing. It is not too terribly surprising as shipping rates continue to go up and free shipping is still a good deal.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I pay my $80 bucks a year for Prime for free two-day shipping and movies, etc. -- totally worth it to me, as I use my Amazon account lots.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I also have Amazon Prime-- it really does pay for itself (for me). It's also great when you need to get a last minute gift-- or to send off a pick-me-up care package. I get next day shipping for 3.99 and all amazon products (vs. third party sellers) ship in 2 days for free. I also get videos via instant video.

• User
    10 years ago

I just signed up for the 1-month free Prime! Loving it!

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

Another Prime fan here. I tracked my shipping the first year I signed up and not only did it work financially, the intangible value of being able to shop so easily with home delivery is worth quite a lot for me in terms of making life easier in a busy and hectic world.

Amazon has come a long way from being 'just' a book site. It's incredible the range of merch you can get there. In many cases the price is as good or better than bricks and mortar, and to be able to sit down and shop without the aggravation and time of going anywhere...priceless.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

We've had prime for a few years and love it also. My DH is in the home remodeling/repair business and regularly orders tools, parts and various other business items including his work boots - none of it was even on our radar when we signed up. I order everything from vacuum bags and Britta filters to certain cosmetic/beauty items - even attachments for my Kitchenaid mixer, and much more. I regularly order things for my far-away sons and know they'll have it right away. Prime is wonderful for gift giving since we all use the wish list.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I used to be on the board for our local swim team. At one point we were shopping for covers for our junior Olympic size pool. Guess which retailer showed up when we did a Google search? Yes, you can get junior Olympic size pool covers at Amazon!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I am always astounded at what I can find at Amazon, small ridiculous pharmacy items sometimes, like the gel bunion guards I couldn't find anywhere. I need to sign up for Prime.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Another Prime fan. Love the subscribe and save too. Cat food, diapers, baby wipes, vitamins, etc. are all cheaper on subscribe and save.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Prime for me too. I hate shopping and I get my money's worth with free 2 day shipping.

Not to mention the free streaming and kindle books.

I live in a smallish town and imagine my surprise that I could purchase many of my recently needed office remodel items and get free 2 day shipping ie: kohler sink and moen pull-down faucet.

Just got a go cart delivered this morning.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Amazon Prime here too. I like that isn't easily found in nearby stores (like "antlers" for my dog, which are bones he chews on). And things like my cat's food, which is only found at the pet store, which is place I don't routinely go so as her food is getting low, I'm always forgetting to stop and get some. So nice to just go to Amazon and have it delivered to my door. Just last week we surprised our boys with tickets to the Redskins vs. 49ers game. Though we live in Redskins country, both boys are 49ers fans as dh is from San Francisco. One son has lots of 49ers gear, but other son doesn't. It was going to be FREEZING that night, so wanted to get my other son a 49ers sweatshirt that he could wear on top of many layers. Amazon Prime to the rescue - was able to get the sweatshirt in two days, just in time for the game!

I didn't realize they just raised the free shipping from $25 to $35.

Speaking of Amazon, did anyone see the story about Amazon on 60 Minutes last weekend? It was really interesting! Watching the way they have streamlined their storage facilities and how they pack items in boxes was down to a science. To Deee's point about finding the pool cover, one of the things Jeff Bezos (founder) said is that you can find nearly anything you need on Amazon now.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well darn. I know it's only $10 more but. . .

I don't know if Prime is practical for us or not. I'll be looking into it more now.

Thanks!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I'm cheap and there's no way I'd pay $80 for shipping when I can get it free. I keep hundreds of things in my cart and it's fun to watch the price go up and down. It helps control my impulses too, adding it to the cart is sometimes satisfying and then the urge to buy passes over a few days. $35 of stuff is practically nothing but the jump from 25 was annoying.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

that's what I use my wish list for

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I have prime too - got it when I dumped cable so I could watch some streaming video at no additional charge. Didn't realize how much I'd also benefit from the two day free shipping.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

We've only had the prime for about 6 months based on so many good recommendations. Definitely worth it.

But boo to them for raising the shipping during the holiday season, though I'm sure many people spend more than $25.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

"I'm cheap and there's no way I'd pay $80 for shipping when I can get it free."

To each her own, your mileage may vary, etc.

For me, the value of not having to run hither and yon shopping, wasting gas and my time and getting a better price anyway is well worth $80. Putting a dollar value on my time is something I have learned to do. If I was in a lifestyle in which I had much more time I might not be willing to spend the money. For now, I don't have the time and patience so the money is well spent.

Also,as others pointed out the shipping is now only part of the value of Amazon Prime. The content provided is astoundingly varied. Over the winter break I"m going to try to binge watch Downton Abbey on my Kindle-it's on prime for free. Ditto for a bunch of movies. No extra cost.

Factoring both of those in, I'm being frugal in paying the $80 instead of being cheap and skipping it in order to drive myself (literally) crazy and pay extra for entertainment!

Ann

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Actually, for me, the hassle of dealing with the boxes and having to cart them to the dump is one reason I don't order things I can buy locally easily but I then live in a small town and everything is close, quick and I do have lots of time. I have several friends with prime who love it.