Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrak2008

Sleep Number beds

debrak2008
9 years ago

DH and I had a demo at a Sleep Number bed store and really liked it. Thinking of getting one in a year or so.

A few years ago we bought a latex pillow top regular coil mattress. We now have two trenches in the bed where we sleep. We thought it was just the pillow top failing but now believe it is also the coils.

We have for the 2nd time flipped the mattress over (you are not supposed to do this) and put a memory foam topper on it. We will have it like this for a month and then flip it back. We find the memory foam makes the bed too hot.

I am concerned about getting another pillow top of any kind or getting memory foam, as while comfortable, the heat is too much.

Does anyone have a Sleep Number bed? What are your experiences with it? Other suggestions?

Comments (15)

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

We had the exact same experience with a Stearns and Foster pillow top bed and replaced it with a Sleep Number. We were very happy with it but recently moved to a king size bed and were ready to purchase another SN when I found an air bed at Sam's for significantly less. We purchased it and have been happy. If you want to look at them, be sure to read the reviews. Some say they are too firm; I agree they are firm but that works for us. Anyway, to answer your question, we really liked the SN bed and will only have air beds from here on out.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

We have one and I love it. We have a king size dual control with I think memory foam on top. My setting is mush and my DH's is concrete floor. This allows us both to be happy.

There is a divide or ridge between the two sides but it's a necessary evil. Movement doesn't transfer which I like as I sometimes work nights and am falling asleep when DH is getting up.

I would buy one again. We got ours from QVC and I think was a good price.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

My Son and DIL purchased a King size Sleep Number 2 years ago and they're very happy with it.

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

I've had one for many years - queen with dual control. We like it.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

A friend of my hubby's has a Sleep Number and it loses air. Other than that they like the comfort, but are very disappointed in the air loss. They are not heavy at all either.
    We thought about a Sleep Number before we heard that, but after a whole lot of research we bought a Serta iComfort and are very happy with it, though we did have to change to softer mattresses after just a week. I was in so much pain, I couldn't give the recommended 30 trial before changing. We are very happy with them now. We have two twin XL mattresses on adjustable bases. I haven't woke with so little pain for decades. They are not hot at all. I think all the memory foam companies have a cooling foam as the top layer anymore.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

We have two , one for us and one for guests. We love it ! We have the m7 models . Perfect amount of memory foam . Love that we have our own settings but aren't too different that there is a weird feeling in the middle .
    Not sure about the air loss .. If we think after a while some how it changed , we fill them back up to 100 percent , then reset to our number. Not a big deal .
    We did get the adjustable massage base . I love the adjustability feature ! The massage is lame tho , skip that .
    We bought a cal king and my only complaint is I never can buy sheets except online .

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

I didn't like ours. I found that the ridge in the middle was really annoying. I like a really soft mattress and it was soft, but I am much happier with a tempurpedic than with the sleep number we used to have.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention that we got the message and I love it! I read before turning out the lights and though I feel perfectly fine while reading, my body often feels restless as soon I snuggle in to go to sleep. The message on low for thirty minutes does the trick of relaxing my muscles enough that I can fall to sleep.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

This is so surprising to me (that people find them comfortable). I slept on one in a hotel once and found it so terribly uncomfortable, even though I was quite happy to be able to try it, because it was intriguing. I couldn't get comfortable at all, regardless of the number. I sleep on a natural foam mattress at home and find them incomparable.

• redcurls
    9 years ago

Have had mine since 2001. Love it.

About memory foam mattresses: I don't evn like memory foam in any form...even inside of shoes, so I would never like sleeping on it. I've HEARD that it matters a lot on your body shape. If you are like a stick, memory foam mattresses are fine because you don't make much of a "dent" in the surface of it. A "booty" will create something of a temporary pothole that must re-form if you change positions.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Have had mine for 10 plus years. Would never change it, great comfort for me. I sleep at 40. The bad reviews have not been an issue with mine. Specifically the complaints of middle balaster, don't even know it is there. And some have a problem with the sides not holding up, another none issue for me. I also like that I can take the pillow top off and wash it. Although I do have an extra mattress cover on too.

One of the pluses is changing bedding...so easy since the top is really light. I'm getting old, not having to deal with heavy mattresses wasn't a plus I'd considered.

My suggestion is to go with one of the the higher models as I suspect the components are better. Many have mentioned the Costco product and are just as pleased with them.

Mattress needs are such a personal choice. Glad to hear others are happy with their SN. But remember that it may not be for you. Without defining all the best reasons, at my end would definitely recommend one.

Has anyone not bought the base unit and used a box spring or thick plywood in it's place? The base unit is nothing more than a thick plastic board made up of 4 equal squares that you push together. You still need a frame that has cross supports under this. If another option works, big savings in eliminating theirs and using another option.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the posts!

I have read about the issue of the middle especially during "cuddling". Our numbers are 30 & 40. I would think it would be easy to change, moving the 30 to 40 temporarily and then go back down to 30 for sleeping.

technicolor, you can take off the pillow top and wash it? That would be great. Does it actually fit in your washer?

As for buying sheets....The model we were looking at, p6 I think, had a thinner mattress than we have now. I was happy thinking it would now be easy to buy sheets. Right now, every sheet I buy fits at first but them must shrink. We use them anyway.

lilyfinch, I'm confused. Do you like the massage feature or not?

• amj0517
    9 years ago

I don't have one but looked at them. FYI-the sales person said they typically go on sale for President's Day, and that is usually the lowest they go.

This post was edited by amj0517 on Tue, Dec 30, 14 at 18:29

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Debrak,
    Yes I wash mine in the washer. It is a fairly large drum and can wash any of my bedding. I use king for my queen, except for sheets.

The top is a pillow top with a full zipper all around, it is a flat unit when taken off. Needs to be air dried, the backing is not heat resistant for a dryer.

I think the middle batton issue is more of how the bed is put together, have never really noticed it. With almost 15 years on this bed, I do worry a bit about it's lifetime. Not in the position to buy again if this goes down hill.

Red curl, am with you on the foam. My son has one and I spent a night on it. Hated how hard it felt. On the other hand my DD has one too and it has always felt comfortable. Buying the foam must be as difficult as buying a regular mattress to fit one's comfort level.

If any of you are looking in store at SN. Unzip the top and look inside for the difference in quality used, how the platform is constructed.. I'm interested in why there are different levels and pricing. Except for the air units, side rails are plastic, everything else is made of foam. I might do this out of curiosity to see if anything has changed.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

technicolor, thanks for responding back. Excellent info!

Dh found the receipt for our current mattress and it is only 3 years old! The warranty says it doesn't apply unless the mattress sinks more than 2". Ours is not yet 2".

I think we will check back into the SN beds in about 6 months or maybe wait until next years Presidents Day sale. Not in a position to buy one now.