Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

Does anyone remember Chesterfield coats?

Holly- Kay
9 years ago

I remember fondly the Chesterfield coat I had in high school in the sixties. Mine was a deep charcoal herringbone with a black velvet collar. Most of the girls I knew owned one. They were single breasted with a v neck collar that was velvet. I sure wish they were still made.

Comments (17)

• jmc01
    9 years ago

I have one, have had it for 20 years, and it won't wear out. Dark grey cashmere with velvet collar. Spent a fortune for it at the time but it has been money very well spent. I'll wear it again when it warms up a bit.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I had coats like you describe as a child, mine were more fitted one was A Line from what I remember.
    I had a red one with a navy velvet collar and my next one was a black watch plaid with the navy collar.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

Mine were double breasted

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mitch, I had double breasted one like that when I was a little girl. It was a deep raspberry with raspberry velvet color but the Chesterfields that I had as a teen was a straight style.

Jmc, you are so lucky! I would give my eye teeth to find one again.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I always loved Chesterfield coats. Still do. Don't see them much anymore...or I don't shop in the right places anymore!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I loved my Chesterfield coat as a teen, holly-kay except mine was brown. We must be about the same age, as I wore a similar one in the 60's too and took it to college iirc, but don't remember wearing it all that much as it was warmer on campus.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I remember them. I worked in the Bloomingdale's coat department, and we sold a lot of them, and they were my favorite coats. Don't know if technically it was a Chesterfield, but I LOVED Catherine Middleton's Christmas coat, which reminded me so much of those beautiful, classic Chesterfields.

• cran
    9 years ago

Yes I loved them too, I had a grey one in high school.
    Tibbrix I never got to respond to your question on that disappearing post. Yes, I am from the Cape, my name is a nickname as I came from a "blended" family and it is a combination of names, Though I love anything cranberry especially a bog!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Cool, Cran. I'm surrounded by cranberry bogs, and in fact one of them is where I often do my walking. Your nickname is quite apropos, then, for someone from the Cape!

I used to live in Ptown. I miss it there a lot and would hightail it back there if I could afford it.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I bought my first one at Crawford Hollidge in Boston when I was 16, it was camel colored and did I ever love it, felt so grown up and special in my first cashmere coat.

• User
    9 years ago

Chesterfields were originally mens' coats. My father had a charcoal tweed Chesterfield that made him look very dashing and important :-) As a child and young teen I had princess coats with velvet collars, but by the time I lived in Europe at 14 I was wearing a rather wild blue velvet coat trimmed in that shaggy white Mongolian looking fur. I did not even know what kind of animal gave it up...very 1970....covers face with hands...

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

I had one while I was in college, a nice grey herringbone. You can still find men's Chesterfield coats at Brooks Brothers. But here's one that is stunning - a beautifully styled alpaca and wool blend with deep brown accents.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peruvian Connection

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KSWL, my DF had one also. His was a beautiful charcoal grey also. He was wonderfully handsome and I adored him. He wore a fedora with his and a red cashmere scarf.

One of my dress coats is similar in style to a Chesterfield but it's plain black wool with black velvet collar but I so wish I had a straight charcoal herringbone one. If I ever find another one I will surely buy it.

• User
    9 years ago

I would buy one too, Holly Kay, as I have sort of aged out of the fit and flare princess style :-) Those beautifully constructed clothes seemed to fit and wear so well.....the move to deconstructed garments in fashion has not done it many favors, IMO.

Love that coat from Peruvian connection!

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I had a beautiful purpley tweed with a black velvet collar. I loved that coat and wore it for many years.

From there I went to a non-Chestefield red coat that was the. perfect. shade. of red. I loved that coat and wore it for many years.

Then there were years of basic black wool coats since I could never find navy, the color I really wanted. Just this year I found a raspberry boiled wool that helps to brighten the drab winter days.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

hhireno, navy! Yes, I would love a navy coat. I had one back in college that I wore for years and years. Can't find one now (40+ years later-ha).

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think I had a coat like this as a little girl with matching leggings..both made by my grandmother....maybe from that same Mc Calls pattern.