Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_2007

Happy Hanukkah/Chanukah

marlene_2007
9 years ago

To all those who celebrate, a very Happy Hanukkah.

Comments (40)

• awm03
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My best wishes for a happy Hanukkah to all here who are celebrating too.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Thank you Marlene - not sure how we'll be celebrating since I haven't found the box with the menorah or candles yet!

• kimberlyrkb
    9 years ago

Happy Hanukkah!

• teacats
    9 years ago

Happy Hanukkah ....!!!! :)

• thankurnmo
    9 years ago

Happy Hanukkah- (let's see how many ways we can spell it:) to all.

Just joking. I always give my speech that however you want to spell it works because it's a Hebrew word with Hebrew letters............... and don't get me started but it's really not a big holiday (not in tenach)..........but HAPPY HANUKKAH all.

• bpath
    9 years ago

dlm, my cousin was showing me the menorahs her boys make every year: a little pine board, pain and glitter, glue, and nuts from the hardware store! They're just the right size to hold the candles. You can do it! Happy Lights in your new home :)

Just wondering, does a menorah have to be 8 lights on a single base, or can you have 8 separate candles set up on the table?

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reminder! Our son's girlfriend is Jewish. They've already received the Hanukkah/Christmas gifts we mailed them, but I'd forgotten which night was the actual start of this beautiful celebration.

Wishing all of our Jewish GWers a very Happy and Beautiful Hanukkah.
    Lynn

• jerseygirl_1
    9 years ago

Happy Hanukkah! Hope everyone who celebrates enjoys every shining moment.

BPathome, There are really a total of nine candles on Menorahs. The Shamash (helper) candle is used to light all the candles. The 8 candles are usually in one row on a Menorah. Some menorahs may have the Shamash above the eight.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Happy Hannukkah to all observants and Dlm, may your lights shine brightly in your new home!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Thanks, jersey girl, yep, I forgot about the shamash, it's often in the middle, or at the end, usually taller than the others (I like my helper to be taller than I am,too, the better to reach high). Do they all have to be unified by being on a single base or support? I suppose maybe so, to represent a single lamp that shone 8 nights?

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I would love to see pictures of your menorahs and hear stories of your family traditions. There are many threads here sharing traditional holiday decor and, while those are nice, those are familiar to me. I'd like to learn and enjoy pics of something new.

Happy Hanukkah!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Happy Chanukah!!!

• GaryFx
    9 years ago

The basic requirements are that the shamash must be distinguished by being at a different height, most often higher but lower is also ok, and that there must be a obvious left and right order. Many traditions require that the lights be in a straight line to achieve the left/right order, while others allow a semi-circular arc.

Since you asked here, I assume you're not looking for an Orthodox or Conservative opinion, which I wouldn't be qualified to answer. So all I'll say is that much of the rabbinic discussion is about ways to beautify the observance via the menorah (technically called a hannukiah). A traditional view would be that a single menorah dedicated to the purpose is a higher level of beauty than one that's been pieced together, but any candles in safe holders would satisfy the observance. (Fire safety is more important - a cheap but safe menorah is better than an unsafe solid gold menorah.)

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

Hhireno , how thoughtful of you to ask that. Although there are always many Christmas threads here, there aren't many photos and stories from the Hanukkah celebrations of our GWers. I'd love to see any pics and hear how GWs are celebrating this beautiful holiday. And, selfishly, although I'm not Jewish myself, I'm expecting that we will very soon have a sweet new daughter in law who is. I'm anxious to see Hanukkah decorations.
    Lynn

• bpath
    9 years ago

Thanks. GaryFx!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Lynn,
    I am delighted to hear your son is home, well, and in love. I think about him, although I have not written to you.

• marlene_2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lynn,

I ditto every word that kitchendetectivce said.

Your son's girlfriend is very lucky to have such a wonderful boyfriend's mom or maybe future mother-in-law :-)

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reminder. I want to wish all of our Jewish GWers a Very Happy Hanukkah. I came across this article the other day in our local paper.

We have a 'Tinsel Trail' of trees in our downtown park. It's really beautiful to walk through them at night and see them decorated (yes one is decorated with menorahs!). The article was written about how the writer likes both Chanukah and Christmas.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2014/12/jewish_chanukah_confession.html#incart_river

• thankurnmo
    9 years ago

There are so many types of menoras. I think there is a lot of wisdom in what Gary wrote- I will add:
    Chanukkah is not the Jewish Christmas. It is a very minor holiday. The fact that it happens near the time of Christmas has given it more importance. People who observe it, will of course light the menorah. Small gifts will be exchanged, and fried foods (either the latkes fried potato pancakes or donuts)........... typically we don't "decorate" the home for Chanukkah. There is no wrong or right, but I find it uncomfortable for people to have to equate it with Christmas.
    couldn't help it.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

I can understand and respect that, Sheilaaus. I'm always willing to learn and grow.

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

Hanukkah blessings and good cheer to all who celebrate the holiday!

Several years ago I wrote this for another forum and I'll redo it now - a description of some of the traditions of the Festival of Light.

True, the menorah for Hanukkah is called a Hanukkiyah, because it contains nine candles rather than the seven of an ordinary menorah. Since "menorah" is easier to write, that's what I'll use.

When the menorah is lit, there must be another source of light in the room. If only the menorah is lit, that implies that it's a source of light. But it is not; it's for remembrance and celebration. A nightlight as the real source of light is fine; it's nice to dim any other lights.

The menorah should be displayed so that passersby can see it. Hanukkah is a shared, public event! We light our main menorah, the one with real candles, in our den, which looks out on trees and shrubs and a very narrow path used only by raccoons and possums. So we have an electric menorah in the picture window in the living room, wnich we can leave on for as long as we like, and leave the room, and it will be safe. I used to think electric menorahs were in bad taste, but finally realized that it's a nice tradition. And our neighbors like it!

The candles are placed in the menorah from right to left, just like the Hebrew language, but are lit from left to right, with the newest one lit first, as a welcoming gesture. On Jewish websites you can find quite a variety of candles specifically for the holiday. This year DH ordered a variety of boxes, way too many for just eight days (easily enough for next year, too), to give me a choice of them to play with. Should I go with all one color on a particular night, or alternate two, and which two; should I use the twisty ones or the plain ones or the ombre ones? Big decisions for a decor-minded-person.

Candles don't have to all be attached to a single holder, but that's the tradition, in order to - as already stated above - maintain their neatness and order. It's just usually prettier. They should also be on the same level, except for the shamash-helper candle. However, modern menorah design has some swirling all over, so that tradition is varying.

The candles must be allowed to burn out. You're not supposed to extinguish them before they've been used up; they burn for about an hour. So you use new candles each nignt. And someone must be in the room at all times when they're burning. Not a problem, of course, with a meal or a party.

The blessing that is said each evening as one lights the candles is: "Blessed art Thou, our Lord, our G-d, King of the Universe, who has commanded us to light the candles of Hanukkah." Then everyone chimes in with "Amen". Which, btw, is a Hebrew word.

Potato pancakes - latkes - are an Ashkenazic, European, tradition. Sephardic, Spanish and Arab Jews don't necessarily regard fried potatoes as something special. I quit making them long ago - they're, IMO, a mess and a knuckle-bruiser, and we don't eat fried foods. Jelly doughnuts, on the other hand, are totally fine. No problem eating those!

Since Mr. Sable and I are one of those intermarried couples, we also celebrate some Christmas traditions. We hang wreaths outside, send cards to our Christian friends and relatives, and love listening to Handel's Messiah. We have a cute little tree with pretty ornaments, but not for this year, as we also have a 20-month old cat, who is a ninja-kitty, and is still in her wild running and leaping and batting-around-small-objects-mode. Our older cat could not be less interested.

Hope this provides some information!

Happy Holidays to all -
    Sable

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Thank you Sable. That was enlightening.

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Thank you for sharing! We'll also be celebrating both holidays here in my house. This is the second year (of 4 together) that my jewish bf will be spending with me and my family. Last year I didnt decorate or do anything special in the house for either holiday. This year we'll have a menorah, stockings and minor christmas decorations. It was fun to share with him how to go about filling a stocking-- though I recognize I missed an opportunity to tell him we traditionally fill them with jewelry!

He lives out of state and is flying in today-- and bringing a small menorah with him. We'll purchase our first menorah for the house next year when he's living here. I've been amazed at the range of menorahs available-- simple and elaborate. I have always loved Michael Aram's metalwork but I think we've settled on a forged iron.

I've enjoyed learning about his/your traditions! Happy Hanukkah, Marlene and all others!

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

Sable, thank you for taking the time to explain some of your beautiful Hanukkah traditions. I very much enjoyed learning more about them.
    Lynn

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Thank you, Sable, and others, for sharing and explaining in more detail some of your traditions. I appreciate hearing about them and the history behind them too, plus your own personal touches.

Lynn, congratulations on having a new, future daughter-in-law! I know it's just exciting to have your kids coming home for the holidays.

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

Thank you for the nice responses! This is my favorite time of year and I love sharing the traditions that DH and I celebrate. During my career as a teacher of our military men and women, Hanukkah was the Jewish custom they most enjoyed learning about. Perhaps because I enhanced the lessons by bringing in jelly doughnuts?

Funkyart - I also love Michael Aram's work. Best wishes to you, and to Lynn, as you share great customs that go so easily side-by-side, especially with SOs. Lights, music, food and gifts - what could be better!

• bpath
    9 years ago

I love that the menorah should be displayed for all to see, reminders of all the great miracles should be!

I have a candle holder made by my late DFIL. A guest once complimented me on my beautiful menorah, shaped like a shofar. It's actually a peacock; the tail, which holds the candles (only menorah candles fit, one is higher than the others, and there are 9) swivels open, but closed it does look like a shofar. Maybe it was designed as a menorah! I don't know where DFIL got the pattern from. Anyway, one day the candles burned down and one melted into the wood and blackened it and marred the varnish (or clearcoat, or whatever he used). It's still usable, except for that one. I should find someone to repair it...one of these days...

Here he is, isn't he handsome?!

This post was edited by bpathome on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 12:04

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

Bpathome - He is extraordinary! Very unusual, a true collector's piece. Is there any way you could turn the picture right-side up?

• bpath
    9 years ago

Thanks, sable :) Took the picture with my ipad, and it's right side up on my screen. Sometimes other posters will apologize for their upside down or sideways pics, and they are right-side-up on my ipad. Go figure! So no, I don't think I can!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

That is a beautiful menorah. We are looking to get a different one in the future and there are some beauties but I wonder about cleaning the wax off the wood? Can you still use the boiling water?

We are likewise a mixed couple and celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah. One of our personal traditions each year is laughing over how you can buy a box of candles, with supposedly the exact number you need for the celebration but you can bet you need another box because there are always, always some broken.

• bpath
    9 years ago

So maybe it IS a menorah? I guess I didn't mention that we are a Christian family, I think he just liked the design when he made it, so we don't use it as a menorah, but it certainly gets used with love.

I forgot, where the candle burned all the way down, I can't get the stub out, and it actually sort of charred away the wood on one edge! So we use it except for that one, and blow out the candles before they get that low...I never thought of using boiling water, but I'd be afraid of ruining it further.

This post was edited by bpathome on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 22:53

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

...right side up...

• bpath
    9 years ago

Thanks, rina. Looks the same to me, but glad he's not getting dizzy and causing neck aches on other people's screens.

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

Thanks, Rina. That is the kind of folk art that I love and collect - an unusual take on an animal and in an organic material.

I think that perhaps Hanukkah candles are getting less drippy? Tonight was the 5th night and we have had no melted wax at all from the first night on. In the past I have sometimes used an ice cube (ours is antiqued brass, very standard), but mainly used the sharp point of a nail file or a paring knife, very carefully.

Bpathome - that hanging behind the peacock looks almost exactly like designs we saw in a textile shop in Chimayo, New Mexico. Beautiful colors!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Thanks, sable! Good eye, my parents did pick it up in New Mexico, along with a table runner. I love them, they have found an ideal spot in every home I've had; in the current house it hangs in the basement (notice the quintessential basement panelling behind it) with other natural-material objets, like my peacock.

• bpath
    9 years ago

(Okay, not meaning to hijack, but now I'm on a "real" computer, not the tablet, and the first peacock is in fact topsy-turvy. I have no idea what is going on. Thanks for setting him straight, rina.)

• jerseygirl_1
    9 years ago

Bpath that menorah is just exquisite. So MCM!

For those who are interested in learning more about the Jewish Holidays, there is a great cooking blog that explains the significance of each holiday,ToriAvey.com. Hit the holidays tab once your on the site. She also has a tab called the History Kitchen which has classics. Her recipes are great. So far I have made her Kugel. I am in the process of making Beet Tartare Salad from her site.

We are celebrating with family tonight. Here is my Hanukkah Celebration Menu:

During cocktails
    Greek Mezze Platter (modified)-which has many of the elements of typical Middle Eastern/Israeli foods -from Ina's new cookbook, Make It Ahead

Dinner

Beet Tartare Salad- From Tori Avery
    Brisket- Ina Garten's (my family loves it, so easy).
    Kasha and Bowties with zucchini
    Potato Latkes- these are a PTA to make!
    Challah

Dessert
    Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake- Ina's.
    From Scratch Brownies and Vanilla Ice Cream-Food and Wine magazine

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I'm not Jewish but of Polish heritage and my mother made awesome potato latkes (she just called them potato pancakes). Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday.

• GaryFx
    9 years ago

That peacock is a beautiful piece of art, and while some people might use it as a menorah, personally, I wouldn't; call me traditional. The shamash is supposed to be distinct from the other candles, but with this, they all run together.

On the other hand, I settle for Trader Joe's frozen latkes. Although they're small, they're tasty and so much easier than doing it from scratch.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Hate to interrupt this lovely thread with mundane matters, but bpat put your peacock in the freezer for a bit. When the wax is frozen, it ought to be easy to chip out.

I have enjoyed reading all of the explanations from everyone. Thank you for taking the time to write about Hannukah traditions.